How many Vectrix reached... 20.000 miles?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
R
R's picture
How many Vectrix reached... 20.000 miles?

This post may be familiar to you...
My 2007 unit has just displayed 20.000 miles - 32.200 km on the odometer!

SNC00563.jpg
SNC00566.jpg

mikemitbike
mikemitbike's picture
Re: How many Vectrix reached... 20.000 miles?

Congrats!
because of the weatherconditions in Austria, I´m still working on the two 10.000 marks ;-)

Greetings Mike

duca

You are some 12.000 km ahead of me, I have to catch up...

d2april

Hello R,

I wanted to see if this 20,000 miles you put on your Vectrix was done with the original Vectrix battery pack? If not how many miles did you get out of your first pack before you had to start repairing the batteries?

Thanks

Doug Davis

R
R's picture

I wanted to see if this 20,000 miles you put on your Vectrix was done with the original Vectrix battery pack?

Are you kidding?
I'm on my 4th pack, the first two replacements were done by general Vectrix recalls, the 3rd replacement was forced by real damage. That 3rd pack lasted from 15.000 km to 27.000 km. A nimh pack without BMS lasts between 6000-15000 km. Don't take this bat-tech wrong: NIMH's outstanding endurance is far better than lithium, but as you should know, all batteries need BMS, no matter the size or the chemistry. With BMS, these cells could have lasted over 100.000 km (have a look at toyota rav EV!)
My 4rth pack is at 6000 km (half life), and my 4th year warranty will be over after 2 months. I guess that in one year my Vectrix will be death.
oobflyer
oobflyer's picture

NIMH's outstanding endurance is far better than lithium, but as you should know, all batteries need BMS, no matter the size or the chemistry

Isn't the opposite true? Lithium-ion should last longer than the NiMH! If NiMH has better endurance, then why is Vectrix making the new bikes with Lithium-ion batteries? Why are all of the electric car manufacturers making their cars with Lithium-ion batteries (Tesla, LEAF, iMiev, Focus, Volt, etc.)?

I'm also curious about

With BMS, these cells could have lasted over 100.000 km

The Vectrix has a BMS - are you saying that your Vectrix doesn't have a BMS? Or are you saying that the Vectrix BMS is inadequate?

I just ordered Li-ion batteries for my Vectrix - I hope they last longer than the NiMH!

10K-Miles.jpg

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Isn't the opposite true? Lithium-ion should last longer than the NiMH! If NiMH has better endurance, then why is Vectrix making the new bikes with Lithium-ion batteries? Why are all of the electric car manufacturers making their cars with Lithium-ion batteries (Tesla, LEAF, iMiev, Focus, Volt, etc.)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel-metal_hydride_battery#Patent_encumbrance_in_electric_vehicles

This is why Toyota couldn't make RAV4 EVs anymore.

The most capacity Panasonic can make is 6.5Ah NiMH cells, which are used in Toyota Prius.

GP can make more than 6.5Ah capacity cells because it licensed NiMH patents from Cobasys before Chevron took over Cobasys.

Guess why Chevron wouldn't let NiMH patents out of it's hands.

NiMH tech is longer lasting than Li* if used properly. Toyota RAV4 EVs are still on the road, with more than 100.000 miles driven and more than 100 miles/charge range.

Li* tech has it's advantages, but it's biggest disadvantage is - it ages - more quickly than the NiMH.

mikemitbike
mikemitbike's picture

NIMH's outstanding endurance is far better than lithium, but as you should know, all batteries need BMS, no matter the size or the chemistry

The Vectrix has a BMS - are you saying that your Vectrix doesn't have a BMS? Or are you saying that the Vectrix BMS is inadequate?

Both is true ;-) taking the temperature from 12 out of 102 cells, measuring the voltage between +, - and two! other points of the battery cant´t be called BMS. Its just the minimum requirement to prevent the scooter from a burning battery if something fails.
By the way my Vectrix even don´t have the Voltagemeasurement via the "BMS" (only the Tempsensors) as there are no voltagesensorcabels on my BMS boards, the packvoltage is measured only via the MC. It is no modifcation done by me, the scooter was delivered to me that way.
Lithium has two grate advantages: less weight, more Ah at the same size.

Greetings Mike

R
R's picture

If NiMH has better endurance, then why is Vectrix making the new bikes with Lithium-ion batteries? Why are all of the electric car manufacturers making their cars with Lithium-ion batteries (Tesla, LEAF, iMiev, Focus, Volt, etc.)?

Only the endurance is better. Lithium has more energy, less weight, less internal resitance, and it's cheaper than NIMH!

The vectrix simply does not have any BMS. It has 8-12 tempboards inside, nothing else. A lithium battery without BMS would last 1000 km at best. Does this explain you why the NIMH packs lasts 10 times less than expected?

I just ordered Li-ion batteries for my Vectrix - I hope they last longer than the NiMH!

When a li cell gets out of voltage it permanently dies. NIMH cells have a good chance of survival. I suggest you discharge your lithium at 20% limit. and isntall a good BMS (only few BMS work properly).
PzlPete

Quote of the year. "Are you kidding? I'm on my 4th battery pack..."

You guys are scaring me. I have 1500 miles on my 4000li which is running Lithium without BMS. Fortunately the battery pack has a 2 year warranty. So I assume that at my current average of 300 miles per month they will be replacing my battery pack under warranty within that 2 year time frame?

If we have to pay out of pocket, $1600+, to replace these battery packs every two years, then these bikes don't make financial sense in any way.

vectrixcr

io ho 38000km e 25000km con la stessa batteria

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07

Support V is for Voltage