My E-Max 90S has epilepsy

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
founder
My E-Max 90S has epilepsy

I have an E-Max 90S since November 2009
http://car.pege.org/2009-e-max-90s/

I use lithium mangan batteries 16 cells 30 Ah. After 12687 km in the E-Max 90S and before 2000 km in an other scooter still in good condition.

Now there happened several strange events, so randomly, that I compare it with epilepsy.

June 1: uphill with power button, suddenly power reduced "low battery, charge battery" in display.
Switch off, on
I test several full acceleration with power button, volt drops never below 44,5.

2 km later on a flat street, 50 V shown, suddenly power reduced, "low battery, charge battery" in display.
After about 3 km always switching off and on, again normal operation for the rest of 4 km home.

June 1: it's a little bit downhill, suddenly "low battery, charge battery". After OFF/ON speedometer
shows 10 km/h to much. 60km/h on a flat street, 10 km/h when i have stoped at a traffic light.

June 4: Again on a flat street suddenly "low battery, charge battery", but batteries
are at normal acceleration at 47V.

The normal switch off occurs at 40V.

So I have now 4 times strage problems coming and going like epilepsy.

Any idea what's going on?

papapopop
Re: My E-Max 90S has epilepsy

Hi,
we've got an e-max S110. When we bought it new we had a problem. The batteries where loaded and displayed as full, when driving a few meters, the voltage goes down and we've got the same message like you "low battery, charge battery". Our local dealer assumed that one cell in the battery package is damaged and works not correct. The whole battery pack (4 with 12V/60A each) was changed and everything is right. Our dealer meant that the best way is changing the whole battery pack.
Did you check all connectors ?
Do you know someone who has the same e-max for leaning out his battery pack, to see if you will have the same error. When yes, I assume that it is a damaged controller unit.
Pherhaps it is possible to test the controller too, with a know good one.
When both (battery and controller) items are good, then I think it is an error in the wiring (broken cable, contact problem).
Hope this helps you.

Greets from Germany

founder

Hi,
we've got an e-max S110. When we bought it new we had a problem. The batteries where loaded and displayed as full, when driving a few meters, the voltage goes down and we've got the same message like you "low battery, charge battery". Our local dealer assumed that one cell in the battery package is damaged and works not correct. The whole battery pack (4 with 12V/60A each) was changed and everything is right. Our dealer meant that the best way is changing the whole battery pack.
Did you check all connectors ?
Do you know someone who has the same e-max for leaning out his battery pack, to see if you will have the same error. When yes, I assume that it is a damaged controller unit.
Pherhaps it is possible to test the controller too, with a know good one.
When both (battery and controller) items are good, then I think it is an error in the wiring (broken cable, contact problem).
Hope this helps you.

Greets from Germany

In the mean time, the situation worsend. More and more often this happens. It even happens without load when I charge the battery.
53,5 V on the display. I will now check for contact problems.

Where are You in Germany?

founder

Current state: switch in, 53,5 V in display, "Battery low message", some seconds later "Battery empfty" message.

Was even not possible to move out of the garage.

antiscab

June 1: it's a little bit downhill, suddenly "low battery, charge battery". After OFF/ON speedometer
shows 10 km/h to much. 60km/h on a flat street, 10 km/h when i have stoped at a traffic light.

The speedo issue occurs when you turn off the bike before the needle has reached 0kmh.
its a calibration issue that hasn't been fixed.

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

founder

The speedo issue occurs when you turn off the bike before the needle has reached 0kmh.
its a calibration issue that hasn't been fixed.

Matt

Yesterday, I have been driving 5 km midday and 23 km in the evening.

Turn on - 2 or 3 seconds full power - 15 to 20 secondes reduced power, power off, turn off.

So I had to turn off and on again about every 200m of driving.
Doing this, the needle of the tacho nearly made a full turn around,
coming near 0 km/h from the other side.

So I hoped yesterday, I can use my E-Max 90S at least with this strange driving style.

But today, the situation worsened. Cut of the engine after 1 second instead of 20 seconds.

edg

My E-max 110S has the same...
Well, not quite, but very similar.
I'm wondering if after 2700km and 20months of usage, the battery pack is gone...
Actually I can only drive 25 km before reading the voltage drop to 44V... Is it normal?
I did'nt notice it earlier.
Any suggestion to check anything is welcome.

edg

founder

My E-max 110S has the same...
Well, not quite, but very similar.
I'm wondering if after 2700km and 20months of usage, the battery pack is gone...
Actually I can only drive 25 km before reading the voltage drop to 44V... Is it normal?
I did'nt notice it earlier.
Any suggestion to check anything is welcome.

Lead batteries have a limited usage, but at a 110S, they should last more than 5000 km.
When the battery is low after only 25km, try to check the voltage of each battery
while the scooter is on the stand, light switched on.

Maybe one battery is lower the the others.

When the lead batteries are at the end, try to change to lithium iron phosphat.

My pack has now nearly 15000 km.

edg

My batteries should be silicon gel and I expect even more then 5000Km.
Thank you for the suggestion, I think it can give me a good information about the batteries condition.
What about your lithium iron phosphat pack? Where did you get it from?

edg

edg

After driving 22km, I have checked the voltage as suggested, with the lights on.
I took 4 measures, one every 5 minutes (V0, V1, V2, V3), and this what I measured.
B1 (the one with the fuse sticked on): V0=12,92V; V1=12,82V; V2=12,78V; V3=12,72V
B2 (next)............................: V0=12,99V; V1=12,88V; V2=12,86V; V3=12,81V
B3 (next)............................: V0=12,99V; V1=12,87V; V2=12,86V; V3=12,81V
B4 (next)............................: V0=12,99V; V1=12,87V; V2=12,86V; V3=12,81V
Could the little difference of the B1 voltages indicate a battery problem?
Any other suggestion?
I read other blogs on the E-max batteries and problems, and I do not feel very comfortable, you know...
Thank you very much.

edg

founder

Today I was to repair my E-Max 90S.
18 km to Pidding, 8 times stoped because, no engine after off on action

With a box form the E-Max general distributor in Germany. 2 line display, 4 buttons. The box is connected to the opened controller with a 4 wires plug.
An idea was, that the undervoltage value has changed. But all settings had been like expected.

SET UNDERVOLTAGE
(30-42) 42

I set tha value to 30V. The scooter goes much better, but after some hundred meters again "battery low recharge" and "stop vehicle for battery empty"

Telephone call to the German E-Max distributor, some ideas, but nothing works.

So I change 2 other values:

ACCEL SECURITY ON changed to OFF, so when I turn the key OFF and ON again, no error message, that the accelerator was tunred during switching ON
I MAX UNDERVOLT (3-MAX) 15A changed to 30A, so I have more power when the mad controller lowers output power.

The condition now:

Sometimes the scooter works good, only every 15 second turn key OFF ON.
Sometimes the eigine works only for seconds ot even does not start.

This changs from minute to minute. Just driving 45 km/h, only every 15 seconds OFF ON, suddenly this does not help.

Olal
Olal's picture

I have an E-Max 90S which shows the error message "Vehicle disabled" after a short while after the ignition is turned on.
The bike refuses to move at all.

First the display show battery voltage of 51.8V for a few seconds, but then this error message is displayed and the red light in the instrument cluster comes on.
On the motor controller a LED is blinking 6 times.

Anyone have any ideas why this happens and how to fix it?

/Ola Lidholm

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage