Make your own VX-3?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Scotter
Scotter's picture
Make your own VX-3?

I had this crazy thought... make my own VX-3 (Three Wheeler)! I have a Piaggio MP3 400 I picked up super cheap from a salvage yard, front end body damage, but not to the mechs. Runs/drives fine. I also have access to a Vectrix VX-1 with front fork damage.

So how about combining the Piaggio's front end with the Vectrix backend? Thoughts? Crazy? Happily I have a large CNC milling machine to make adaptors.

--Scotter

Aircon
Re: Make your own VX-3?

Do it!!

BLUESTREAK

I am in the first stages of making a VECTRIX TRIKE one wheel in front and 3 wheels in the back.

Aircon

I am in the first stages of making a VECTRIX TRIKE one wheel in front and 3 wheels in the back.

That's 4 wheels altogether. I think you're building a car.

Scotter
Scotter's picture

hahaha! Please post details of your trike project. Are you using a kit? I also have another project planned if I can find enough salvaged vectrix... 3 wheel drive, with recumbent seating. My brother and I built a 3 wheel reverse trike "go cart" at VRI in Bellingham WA (the Viking cars) about 25 years ago, (gasser motorcycle rear end), I'd love to do this in electric and 3WD. Probably enclosed body, it would come out a bit like the Green Vehicles 3 wheel car I think, only tandem seating rather than side-by-side. But I digress.

I just saw a piaggio MP3 500 (three wheeler) for sale, with a trailer and they aded one of those "training wheel" kits you see on the Burgman's. So that's two wheels in front, three in back -- 5 wheeler -- and two on the trailer...
If I can find the link or pictures I'll post.

In terms of handling and dealing with rough roads, a reverse trike design makes a lot of sense. I rode an MP3 400, pretty impressive... let's just say running long old railroad rails imbedded in the street no longer stuck fear in my heart! Cutting across the hub of a roundabout is fun... I won't have batteries for this right away, but I have a friend that owns a Li batt factory in China. I'm hoping to get samples of 150Wh/Kg Li-Ion batteries to power this thing. If not, I may hook up a turbine/generator, some batteries and run biodiesel (the new type double layer hypercap would really ice the cake!). Personally I'm not hell bent on using only batteries. I just like electric drive.

--Scotter and his scooter
2007 Vectrix VX-1 Maroon
2007 Vectrix VX-1 Silver
2008 Vectrix VX-1 Blue
2008 Vectrix VX-1 Silver
Other EV projects in the works

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Go for it! :-)

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

BLUESTREAK

HI SCOOTER: No it's not a kit it's my on makeup and yes it will have 4 wheels but I don't think you could call it a car. right now thay are still called trikes but i guess in the future it will be given it's on name.

Scotter
Scotter's picture

Agreed, it certainly not a car, (I think someone was kidding) & it should still be rated a cycle so you can go in the HOV (carpool) lane.
Keep us posted! So will I on my reverse trike conversion.

2007 Vectrix VX-1 Maroon
2007 Vectrix VX-1 Silver
2008 Vectrix VX-1 Blue
2008 Vectrix VX-1 Silver

tt-tronix
tt-tronix's picture

Do you mean something like this:

;-)

BLUESTREAK

HI TT. Yes thats just what it will look like pink paint and all.

Scotter
Scotter's picture

Hmm, perhaps yours will come out more like this? Only not two wheels in front --> this one has 5 wheels! Wouldn't TOOOO bad with a little pink trim I suppose... (evil grin) Although I'm color blind!

Piaggio 5 wheels 28338341_1X.jpg
Piaggio 5 wheels 28338341_3X.jpg

2007 Vectrix VX-1 Maroon
2007 Vectrix VX-1 Silver
2008 Vectrix VX-1 Blue
2008 Vectrix VX-1 Silver

BLUESTREAK

SCOTTER that's a TOW-PAC kit I belive and thats what gave me the idea but no one makes a kit for the vectrix so I started to buy stuff for the project, right now I have all the parts and what I need it the time. I spent the last year giving my (1966 IMPALA SS A FRESH-UP RESTORATION) and it's almost finished. I hope to have the VECTRIX finished by spring, I am slow at doing things since I am 68 yrs.old.

Scotter
Scotter's picture

I see, thanks for the input. your project will be fun to see!

I'm hoping that mine will turn out more like this -- Although I haven't decided on a color!

Vectrix VX-3 Animated.gif

2007 Vectrix VX-1 Maroon
2007 Vectrix VX-1 Silver
2008 Vectrix VX-1 Blue
2008 Vectrix VX-1 Silver

reikiman
reikiman's picture

Interesting idea and I'd love to see it go ..

In the California vehicle code - 2 or 3 wheels and it's a motorcycle, 4 wheels it's a car. Unless it's a farm tractor, because even if a farm tractor has 3 wheels it's not a motorcycle. Says so right in the vehicle code. Several times, even.

I suppose other vehicle codes have similar wording.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Interesting idea and I'd love to see it go ..

In the California vehicle code - 2 or 3 wheels and it's a motorcycle, 4 wheels it's a car. Unless it's a farm tractor, because even if a farm tractor has 3 wheels it's not a motorcycle. Says so right in the vehicle code. Several times, even.

I suppose other vehicle codes have similar wording.

David -

I confess that I don't know for sure the legalities of those "stablizer" kits - but I suspect that they're fine because the original vehicle is a 2 or 3 wheeler and the extra wheels don't change that.

Thus I think Bluestreak's conversion will still be classified a motorcycle

Bluestreak - do you know the answer? You might want to do some research. For example it may be that your two outriggers need to be removable. Or not. Just a thought.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

BLUESTREAK

I was just looking around and found this old post from 2009 and had forgotten about it,well it's finished now. take a look.sorry I hit the wrong button.2015-06-07 11.57.02_0.jpg

Scotter
Scotter's picture

How well do those handle? I'm looking at doing a 3W-Car based on VX-1.

2007 Vectrix VX-1 Maroon
2007 Vectrix VX-1 Silver
2008 Vectrix VX-1 Blue
2008 Vectrix VX-1 Silver

BLUESTREAK

I haven't had it out on the freeway at 65MPH because I don't have it tagged. but I have it up to 50MPH and it is the smoothest ride and cornering thing I have ever been on.2015-05-22 14.24.15_1.jpg

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage