Fuse upgrade?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
JimmyB
Fuse upgrade?

Hi all

Is there an easy way to tell if my Vectrix has had its fuse upgraded? I'll be starting to commute on it in just over a week and don't want to find myself stranded due to a blow fuse!

Cheers

James

snail
Re: Fuse upgrade?

Hi James,

There's no quick way to find out - the fuse is buried under the seat on the controller board. If it sets your mind at ease, my 2007 V (100km/h firmware) is still on the original 125A fuse!

Cheers,

Brian

R
R's picture

Hi james, We can find out by having a look at your serial number.
2240 - 125A fuse
2280 - 200A fuse

JimmyB

Thanks, I'm 2139 so I guess that means 125A. Perhaps I'll get the 200A fuse to keep to one side just in case ...

R
R's picture

I sincerelly recommend the upgrade. I've blown the 125A fuse 2 times, really annoying. If you disassemble your vectrix to change the fuse, I suggest you install a cycle analyst.

Robert Curry

The fuse is inside the motor controller, and somewhat hazardous/difficult to safely replace. I have a 200 amp fuse. An "Inrush Current Limiter" is also required, to eliminate the possibly DAMAGING surge of electricity that would otherwise occur, when you re-connect the battery. (You must first disconnect the battery before attempting service inside the motor controller)

HarryS

This is not a trivial upgrade. Ideally you need to lift the rear battery out to get to the motor controller boas. I have done it a couple of times but unless you have to I would not recommend doing it. If you are experienced in taking the battery out and have the lightbulb as inrush limiter that's a different story.

Cor

Thanks, I'm 2139 so I guess that means 125A. Perhaps I'll get the 200A fuse to keep to one side just in case ...

Hi Jimmy, where are you located? Your profile only says USA. There may be someone nearby able to help you.
Good idea to get a new fuse, so you have it when the chance, necessity or opportunity comes to swap it.
The 125A fuse will likely stay in perfect shape IF:
- you never try to run max speed (stay under 50-55MPH)
- never climb long steep hills
- don't participate in aggressive stop&go. (both acceleration and regen braking sends current through the fuse)
so, the easier you are on the throttle, the happier your fuse will be.
In general, a fuse has a "time delay" in which it heats up and if the total current over a certain time causes it to heat up too much, it melts and blows. So, a 1 or 2 sec burst of power may not blow the fuse, but keeping the throttle wide open for tens of seconds will likely mean a dead bike... You get the idea.
Replacing the fuse is a couple hours work, not particularly difficult but there is the danger of making a mistake with the 100+ volts of the battery and so if you are not used to working with live electricity then it is better to be safe and find help of someone who is more familiar with Electric Vehicles.

Robert Curry

I could assist you with the fuse swap. The EVADC (Electric Vehicle Club of DC) Meets on this WEDNESDAY night, at the Silver Spring public library, of Colesville road, near Ellswort--Starts at 7:00 PM, usually goes untill about 10:00 PM, I tried to CALL you, but always get voicemail-Yes, I left a message!-Bob Curry

JimmyB

Hey Bob, I got your message - can't make it tonight, unfortunately, but if it's a monthly occurrence I'll definitely be there next month!

Cheers

James

NullPointer

Hey Bob, I got your message - can't make it tonight, unfortunately, but if it's a monthly occurrence I'll definitely be there next month!

Cheers

James

Hi James,

Welcome aboard! I heard from Bob at tonight's EVADC meeting that we now have another V owner in the DC area. I am in Maryland with an 07 V with about 9K on the clock. Perhaps now we can have a bona fide V meetup! Next meeting is April 18 at the Silver Spring library.

I hope you are enjoying your ride!

Doron

JimmyB

Thanks - I'm definitely up for the 18th!

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Persival
  • boomingheight
  • janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57

Support V is for Voltage