Burning up motors

1 reply [Last post]
larrydam

i've burned up two direct drive and 1 geared motor going up hills. i'm running 48 volts on these 36 Volt/500 watt motors (DD). the geared motor is 36 Volt/350 Watt from ampedbikes. So now i'm getting the idea that i need to keep the motors cool by not using them on steep hills. what would be helpful, is if they put a thermocouple sensor in the hub. Anyone tried this? that way i'd know when to lay off the throttle before i burned up my motor.

Larrydam

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
MEroller
MEroller's picture
Re: Burning up motors

What about simply running your 36V motors with a 36 volt battery? Then they probably would quit burning up, even when going uphill ;-)

My rides:
E-Sprit Fury (basis is the ZAP/Erider Thunder 5000) since May 03, 2011. Mods: Battery temp. gauge and battery heating (off the grid and off the battery), Kelly KEB72801X, reverse activated, luggage rack with topcase, HC Cycle Analyst, Emsiso BMS2405, 35mm² battery cables - repaired again :-)

QvR vR one: a Swiss package of pure understatement - innocent and to some eyes (from some angles) exceedingly ugly looks, but with raw and hardly containable electron power up to real 95 to 100km/h! And a literally rock-hard suspension due to a carrying capacity of twice it's unladen weight...

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Motenergy ME-0907 Brushless DC Permanent Magnet Motor 3-Phase Permanent Magnet Brushless Motor equivalent to the ETEK
Revenge of the Electric Car The electric car is not only back from the dead, it's inevitable
V3 Cycle Analyst for Electric Bikes Ebike Display The Cycle Analyst V3 dashboard with speedometer sensor and magnet is a great addition to any Ebike
Customize This