Debugging battery/charger issue

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
slbaker
slbaker's picture
Debugging battery/charger issue

Hi,

I just bought a 2007 Vectrix scooter. It seems to be in good shape, but
it had been in storage for several years and the battery is completely dead.
When I plug it in, nothing happens, no lights, nothing.

Is there a reset or debug procedure for reviving a completely dead system?

Thanks,
Scott

Caruso
Caruso's picture
Re: Debugging battery/charger issue

I believe the onboard charger won't function if the battery voltage has fallen below a certain minimum level. So the battery will need to be brought up to voltage some other way.

Drew
Drew's picture

Scott, it's not that straightforward.

The onboard charger will not recover the battery if it falls below about 100v dc. This is a bit of a bug that Vectrix owners have come to realise is a bit of a bug-bear but it is fixable (in most cases). You'll need an alternative power supply that will recover them to a point where the on-board charger can then take over. If you search this forum for the subject you'll find that you're not alone. A good example of the type of equipment that can help is 'Universal Freddie'.

I've often thought though that it can be done if you know someone else with a charged Vectrix who doesn't mind letting you hook up to their batter pack via a current limiting lamp (40w incandescent filament lamp or similar). It's much like jump-starting a car but....

Either way, my main warning to you is read up on the subject first and if you're not confident about following the procedures listed here in the forum, DON'T try it! High Voltage DC is dangerous and can kill! Please, please bear this in mind before tackling any work on your bike.

Best wishes,

Drew

Drew

CO2

Where we can find this "Universal Freddie"?

slbaker
slbaker's picture

Hi Drew,

Today, a friend suggested building a simple 0-to-120V power supply using a variac, a bridge rectified,
a current-limiting resistor and a 40W light bulb in series. Sounds a little funky, but it just might work.

I'm guessing the I can connect the external power supply to the battery without needing to disconnect
the controller and on-board charger.

Thanks,
Scott

HarryS

Scott,
That may work if done right. However, just check for example EBAY item # 180856936875
That's a nice regulated 0-150V power supply for $150. Well worth the investment. By the time you rigg something together you will have spend at least half that much as well.
Just a thought.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Persival
  • boomingheight
  • janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57

Support V is for Voltage