longevity after shunt mod survey

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
plfung
longevity after shunt mod survey

Hi All

I am looking for all your input about how long you have ridden your bikes after doing the shunt mod.

Have you had any problems, if you tired of riding or if the unit failed.

I am just collecting info for those that are considering the mod but want to know if there are any detrimental effects.

I have done the mod and other than one minor glitch I was happy.

Thanks

Preston

antiscab
Re: longevity after shunt mod survey

I did the shunt mod and 60V mod at the same time

controller failed after 14'000km

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

plfung

Thanks for the input.

Do you think the controller died a natural death? OR do you think the mods may have contributed?

JamesS
JamesS's picture

I did the shunt mod as well as 60v and have 10660 miles with no problem. I just put 35 watt lamps in the headlights and it is / well night and day. Too soon to say if the if the converter can hang. I have my lights on at all times. I got the lamps at Monster Scooter for 5.99 ea. Yes I am giving them a plug, but they have what I need. http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/baja-mini-bike-headlight-bulb-heat-mini-baja-warrior.html Now if they would just get my rear tube that is on back order to me so I can put my new tire on.

Happy scooting,
JamesS

quietride

In April, I bought a used XB-600 with the shunt modification and extra battery. The bike had been modified in 2010. I somehow fried the controller (capacitors?--there was a direct short across the power input to the controller). I decided to buy a 60v controller with the shunt modification from Keywin. Right now, I am installing and working through the motor and hall wire connections and hope to have this puppy on the road for the July Fourth parade!

Does anyone know who manufactures the XB-600 motor? Bafang? Golden? Cute? I have seen many motors referred to, but not sure which was used on the XB-600. Thanks.

plfung

Good to hear you're still on the road.

Link to the parts looks good especially the price for tires.

plfung

I think the xb-600 motor is made by xtreme. Check their web site for a replacement.

http://www.x-tremescooters.com/electric_bicycles/xb600/parts.html

PJD
PJD's picture

I modded the shunt on the controller for a 48 volt, 70 amp, E-max Sport scooter - the same scooter Matt had. This generic controller was and presumably is used in a number of Chinese scooters under various names. This was an "engineered" upgrade to 100 input amps using a calculated length of steel coat hanger wire to reduce the shunt resistance a calculated amount. I don't know what the output current limit was, but it certainly increased too as the low speed torque was much improved. It was also upgraded to 60 volt input to improve top speed from 35 mph to a bit better than 45 mph. The motor plate rating is 2000 watt. After 3 years and about 8000 km (5000 mi) it is still running fine - total odometry being close to 13,000 km. My wife rides it regularly. I moved up to a CuMoCo standard maxi size e-scooter under their former "test pilot" program.

Heman B.

k,

So you're basically saying you gained 10MPH by doing the shunt mod?
Is that on the bike's speedometer, or a verified speed?

My XB-700Li does not go faster than 27MPH on the speedometer, that's 22-23MPH on a verified meter.
Suppose I would do the shunt mod, but not overvolt my bike, how much speed would I gain?

I'm not too keen on overvolting. But if I can overvolt my bike from 48V to 54V (+6V) instead of to 60V (+12V), I suppose I would have less an issues with the controller breaking down?

How much speed would I gain doing this?

I am not so fine with driving 22MPH, but if I can just gain 5MPH, I'd feel a lot safer driving around town on 30-35MPH roads!

anyone can help me?

Also what is the shunt mod exactly? Is it just bridging (or paralleling) a shunt in the controller?
If it is so, why don't most people just do that, and not bother with overvolting?

I'm sure that they would have some speed gain, even if it's small, but they won't need to worry about destroying their bike!

plfung

In general, shunt mod increases torque and voltage increases speed.

Both mods do come with risk IF you are not careful. It is hard to predict how much speed will be gained by adding 6v or 12v. You need to try it and see, but again use caution. Some older posts document problems encountered and fixes or preventative measures.

I went from 48v to 60v on my XB500 and gained 5MPH in cruising speed as measured by GPS. Others have reportedly gained more speed.

I shunt modded my controller and tested it without reassembling and literally burned up the original controller (actual flames), but the accelleration was significantly improved before it died.

I am happy with the mods I have made and do not have many hours of use to make the call as to whether it was worth it, but so far I'm loving it.

Heman B.

wouldn't it make more sense to install a better controller (eg one that can handle more power?)

The bike I have, has torque enough, it does not have speed.

I'm not too keen on opening the controller of my bike...

Heman B.

wouldn't it make more sense to install a better controller (eg one that can handle more power?)

I'm not too keen on opening the controller of my bike...

antiscab

I usually mod the original controller and order a better one at the same time

No point replacing a perfectly good controller :)

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

mopedbrainy

Since 2007 my xb-600 has been modded. Motor & controller still original. Recently My controller began acting up and shutting itself off randomly mostly after applying brakes .After some thought I wired a pc fan and every thing is fine now .The bigger bucket seat & the Miami Fl heat were the culprits .Even if the fan is not much needed at night I can refrain from using it "cause it"s trip with changing led lights .Several years ago I posted the fins added to the hub for extra cooling though this time the results are more tangible . Good luck.

lunathedogm

Names Jason and ihave a xb-600 and I have tried 6 times to do the shunt mod and tried three electricians and two scooters repair shops to make one for me and I have failed 11 times.I spent 800 for bike and 932.00 on service shops and controllers and all that for nothing. Its still dead and no one in eastbay ca. Could make it work.
I've only driven it one time and even with new controller there's no power to anything and no one has been able to make any of it work. So I would suggest that you don't mod it or you'll be like me and 3 years and every electrician and scooter repair guy I can find can't fix it either. Now I've given up on it since it can't be fixed. If someone wants it they can have it for free. It's brand new only been driven oncemail and never worked again.

mopedbrainy

Jason , Amazon or eBay sell controllers Sunwin for $ 50 or less . Those are compatible ( brushless, Hall effect, 8 wires to the motor and no pass pedal function ) . The difficulty is that the x-b600 harness has to be rewired since it has incorporated diodes for the half speed and the two (2) brakes : front-current cutoff / rear-magnetic wheel lock .In fact the best bet is connecting throttle directly to the new controller ,unplugging both brake wires at first so the bike could move. good luck

gushar

I never did the mod...and forgive me for posting something else here but I haven't been on for awhile and can't recall how to post a new thread. I'm looking for a replacement seat for my xb600. Thinking someone here might have some parts, etc. for sale. Xtreme of course doesn't have a replacement seat so I'm just having to look wherever to see if someone has a used one. I think I can repair the crack in the one I have...but would just buy another used one if I could find one in ok shape. Just noticed last time I raised the seat that it had a crack in the plastic. By the way, had my scoot about 8 years now...not daily rider...but ridden it a lot and besides the bats going south some time back it's been fine. I let it sit for the last year...since the bats finally went south...just busy with other stuff. Recently bought some new bats from ? $163 free shipping for pack...22 ah...and the scoot runs just like new. If anyone has a seat they'd like to sell or knows where I can get one since a new one is no longer available from xtreme or anyone...then please contact me here rather than on the forum. gushar [at] hotmail.com Thanks in advance!

Gus
Florida

Gus

PJD
PJD's picture

Regarding finding a seat, I presume all the Xtreme XB's use one of just a few generic Chinese bodies. Just do an internet search for parts for Chinese scooters.

I use these guys:

http://absolutelyscooters.net/catalog/

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage