Broken Forks

3 replies [Last post]
youngsoulrebel

I have an electric bicycle that is powered with a front wheel motor. I have been using the bike regularly for 3 years with no major issues.
Recently, the front forks of the bicycle (it's a giant mountain bike) sheared off (where the wheel connects to the forks). I had wondered if this might happen. A bicycle is designed to be powered via pedals not via the front wheel.
The forks were replaced but the same thing happened a week later.
Has anyone had any similar experiences or can recommend a 'strengthened' set of forks that may prevent this from happening again.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
pcarlson1979
pcarlson1979's picture
Re: Broken Forks

Hi there.

Yes I've had a lot of experience with front forks breaking from being powered by a front hub motor. The best thing I ever did was to buy a Cro-Molly STEEL front fork. If the front forks are not steel then they WILL fail, it's only a matter of time. If you're not sure, take a magnet and see if it sticks strongly to a new set of forks before you buy them. Carbon fibre, alloy, aluminum is all too weak and ALL fail. Steel is your only option. A magnet will only stick to ferrous material like steel, it won't stick to aluminum, carbon fiber or alloy.

------------------------------
eRider 8000w Scooter - PDT Version
72v 50AH CHL battery
350A Sevcon controller

24km: Delivered - 24 September 2011
2490km: Installed dual 35w HID lights Bi-Xenon Projectors - 27 November 2011
8313km: Installed BMS - 13 October 2012

"Scrappy" - Custom 48v Electric Dirtbike Conversion
20 Feb 2012: Bought 2005 Suzuki DRZ-400SM Motorcross Bike for $100
Motor: MARS ME0708
Controller: Alltrax AXE4844 400A controller
Battery: 16xCHL 50Ah LiFePo4 = 48v

youngsoulrebel

Thanks - others have recommened torque arms too, does anyone have experience with them?

mf70

A torque arm would be a good idea. It is basically a strut that runs from a point on the motor away from the axle to a point farther up the fork tube. The are common on many two wheelers; my first bicycle had one for its hub brake.

There's some discussion of it here:

http://visforvoltage.org/forum-topic/bicycles-and-pedelecs/535-doh-just-destroyed-my-crystalyte-motor-and-my-bike

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
e-Moto G3 Volt Silicon Electric Scooter Commute and get around town on the G3 Volt Electric Scooter from E-Moto.
Customize This