Quick Poll...Should I?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
toolboxjesse
Quick Poll...Should I?

Background: I own a 2007 VX-1 that I purchased out-of-state 2 years ago. I have never been able to register the darn thing. The Georgia motor vehicle office was not able to figure out how to title & register this bike. After 3 trips to MV I gave up. I installed the Laird SW and charge the bike every 2 weeks, with the occasional ride around the block using another bike's license plate. All things considered the bike is in OK shape. The range is of course nothing like new but it will handle at least a 10 mile round trip on a charge. I also have another complete set of used batteries in my garage which are hopefully salvageable.

Situation: I came across a sale of 2 2007 VX-1s in my area as a lot. One has a bent fork and the other has a burned out motor controller, but otherwise complete for $2000. Both have existing Georgia titles, one as salvage and the other not.
I could, in theory, build 2 running, register-able bikes using my good bike for parts. The question is should I bother? Is there enough support to keep these bikes running, or has the death of Vectrix Inc. made this totally impractical/impossible?

Please give me your brief opinion ASAP.

Thanks,
Jesse in Atlanta

elevatorguy
elevatorguy's picture
Re: Quick Poll...Should I?

It really depends on what you need/want. If you use it as inexpensive transportation to commute it may be worth the time and money.
It could be a case of throwing good money after bad, you will have 2 bikes that have little resale value and will probably need battery replacement/upgrades in the near future.
While I like my 2 VX, one being converted to LI currently, I think to do over I would save and buy another bike like a zero or Brammo
FWIW my BMV had a hard time registering my bikes as well..

JimmyB

If it were me, I'd do it - if only because I like a fun project :D . Your current bike has little resale value, esp if there are problems titling it. But if you can end up with two working bikes plus a whole bunch of spares for $2,000 that sounds like a pretty good deal.

PJD
PJD's picture

PJD
PJD's picture

I find it strange that you could not register your Vectrix in the State of Georgia. The owner of the first Current Motor Company scooter sold was able to register his in the Atlanta area without problem.

Do you have a MCO for the non-titled scooter? One would think that there would still have to be some kind of legal representative for remaining Vectrix business issues, like issuing duplicate MCO's.

Go the the Current Motor Forum and PM MikeB. He may still occasionally check this site. http://visforvoltage.org/user/mikeb

toolboxjesse

I find it strange that you could not register your Vectrix in the State of Georgia. The owner of the first Current Motor Company scooter sold was able to register his in the Atlanta area without problem.

Do you have a MCO for the non-titled scooter? One would think that there would still have to be some kind of legal representative for remaining Vectrix business issues, like issuing duplicate MCO's.

Go the the Current Motor Forum and PM MikeB. He may still occasionally check this site. http://visforvoltage.org/user/mikeb

I actually had the title from the previous owner in Alabama (next state over)- this bike was legally registered there. I don't recall all of the specific facts, but I believe the first time I went to MV the agent couldn't locate the Vectrix brand in the state database. She said I would need to bring the bike to a police station and have them inspect the bike for all of the street-legal components...lights, reflectors,horn, etc. and fill out a form. I had a neighbor who is a PO and she agreed to do it. I went back to MVO with the requested paperwork in hand, and IIRC the new agent didn't know how to title a vehicle without a cylinder or displacement. I left frustrated but returned a few weeks later to try again. Once more the agent (a different one) couldn't figure out how to register it. Afterwards I just gave up. The MV office is about 45 minute drive in the opposite direction from work, and I didn't want to spend any more time getting this taken care of. Maybe if i were to try again it would work.

Jesse in Atlanta

Jesse in Atlanta

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage