I give up... 3 Vectrix bikes availiable for sale.

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
acorless
I give up... 3 Vectrix bikes availiable for sale.

After trying every avenue to get these bikes registered in Canada, I give up. Lot's of supportive people willing to talk to me but no one who can affect the outcome.

Bottom line is these 2007 bikes have non-conforming VINS and will never be allowed in Canada.

Here is the original thread back when I was so excited to get into the world of Vectrix.

Original Thread

The Green bike is currently registered in NY. The red bike remains unregistered with the factory COA still available. The grey bike does not have a registration.

The batteries in the green and red bike have been maintained and both have near to original range. The grey bike is functional except for the charger.

I am in Calgary and will work with a buyer to sort out transport back to the US. Montana is the nearest crossing from where I live.

Will throw in the high voltage power supply which is super valuable as a way to recover a low battery.

Only other option is if someone is aware of a Canadian registered Vectrix that has been wrecked or is currently non functional and I could transfer all the new parts to the legal frame. Long shot but if anyone has any ideas.....

Adrian

Kocho
Re: I give up... 3 Vectrix bikes availiable for sale.

I wonder if the remains of Vectrix in Europe can issue a new, conforming VIN (I'm still unclear about the situation after the US bankruptcy, Vectrix.com is no more and so is the Facebook page...)?

I can email you a letter from Vectrix US sent to someone else, not to me, (from before the bankruptcy) describing the VIN issue to the Colorado DMV, if you think it would help in Canada. I showed it to my DMV in Maryland in the US and I registered my '07 without an issue, despite the "bad" VIN.

Edit: you did not hear this from me ;) , but in cases where bureaucracy fails, I feel one is justified to go around it a bit. So, why not print yourself a new VIN label from a crashed/dead Vectrix that you acquire legally and stick it on yours? As far as I can tell, the VIN is not engraved anywhere, it is just a label glued above the fork...

redvectrix

Surely if it is only the VIN that is golding up registration you can get your vehicle licencing office to issue a new one? What do people do who import vintage cars with non-conforming VINs? What do self-builders do?

Failing that, I'd be heading for the national press!

MW

RedVectrix
Enfield, UK

PJD
PJD's picture

By "non-conforming" do you mean that the manufacturer code is not on a safety-standard compliant manufacturer database that Transport Canada presumably keeps, or is the VIN itself not compliant?

acorless

There are 2 issues. The first was that Vectrix never applied to have their name included on the Canadian RIV (Registrar for imported Vehicles) database. This was a tough but manageable issue. The main issue was that the VIN applied to these bikes did not conform to international standards. The very long winded explanation from Transport Canada is contained in the following link if you are interested.

Previous post

I discussed getting a new VIN issued in Alberta but they have explicit instructions to not circumvent the RIV process. They can only issue a new VIN if I were to demonstrate that the bike was built as a home built. (ie new custom frame)

R
R's picture

They can only issue a new VIN if I were to demonstrate that the bike was built as a home built.

That's the key point. Why don't you just de-solder the metal plate with the original VIN number and solder an entire new aluminium square plate without VIN? that will make your frame "home build".
acorless

Spring is coming and I am hoping to find someone interested in these 3 Vectrix bikes. I have been maintaining the batteries consistently on the 2 "new" bikes and expect that they will provide trouble free service to the new owner. The collection of 3 bikes should ensure availability of parts for a long time to come.

See thread for more details.

R
R's picture

Apaet from the front label, The vin is engraved on the outter side of the rear part of the aluminium frame box which contains the battery, near the swingarm. What may be possible is to buy a crashed vectrix, cut the metal piece with the good vin and resolder it on the good vectrix....

PJD
PJD's picture

Will you sell then separately?

acorless

I had put out a request for any information on wrecked or otherwise abandoned VX-1s in Canada. I agree with your ideas but so far I have not run across any donor bikes with valid Canadian Registrations. Who knows, if I wait long enough.....

acorless

Yes, I will sell them separately if there is interest. PM me if. You want to follow up.

prensel

Any chance of selling one of these into Europe/Netherlands ?
I'm looking for one...

===================================
My contribution to EV in The Netherlands
- Novox C20
- Vectrix VX-1 Li+ my2009 #2791
- Vectrix VX-1 Li my2011 #3228
- CityEl Fact4 / Mini El Cabrio
- Th!nk PIV4 A266
- Th!nk City A306
- Tesla Model3 AWD

mesman
mesman's picture

You say the grey bike is functional except for the charger. Does that mean you've been riding it? How have you been charging it? I have a non-functional grey Vectrix myself. Though I know I have a battery problem, its possible my charger is still good. I might could combine your parts to mine to make a useable bike. I wish I knew someone who worked on these...I really hate to tear into it.
thanks,

acorless

Thanks but the grey bike is just for parts. I don't have a title for it. The other 2 bikes are fully functional.

I am communicating with a forum member from San Diego who might be interested. I am looking into what it takes to transport all 3 bikes to that area. Maybe there are others interested in a bike from the San Diego area?

acorless

A couple more years have passed and these bikes are still taking up space in my garage in Calgary, Canada. Never could overcome the VIN issue here.

I am relocating again at the end of Feb, this time to Whistler, BC, just North of Vancouver. I don't have time to deal with these bikes before I move so they will be loaded onto the moving van with the rest of our stuff. I am thinking there might be someone in Washington State who is interested in taking these over since they should be registerable there and it is not too far away.

See thread for details of the 3 bikes and if interested, please send me a note.

ElectricLou
ElectricLou's picture

I have a NJ title from a red 2008 vectrix that was destroyed by hurricane sandy. Maybe this will help with your issue. Hate to see those bikes just sitting there.

Jim Lowder

I have a new esd charger I would sell for the other bike

acorless

Wow, almost 2 more years have passed and I still have the 3 VX-1s sitting in my garage, albeit a new garage after yet another move to Whistler, BC Canada. These bikes have almost no road miles but have logged thousands in moving vans.

Wife says it is time for me to give up my dream and clear space for her minivan before the snow falls. Up here in Whistler, that is a reasonable request.

So I put this out again to see if anyone has interest in taking these 3 bikes over. I have continued to maintain the 2 newer bikes with regular charging and they have always been stored in a heated garage.

A Seattle based buyer would be ideal and I am open to meeting at the Border to ensure paperwork is not an issue.

Read the thread for details. Negotiable within reason.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage