Trev: Alternative vectrix motorcontroller

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
R
R's picture
Trev: Alternative vectrix motorcontroller

As runke chargers, motorcontrollers, icms, dashboards will never be sold again, we should start to figure out how to run the vectrix without the original Hardware.

The TREV used a vectrix engine to compete in the Zero race around the world.

thumb_900-zerorace-trevchina640.jpg

=== Vectrix scooter ===

Team Trev used a Vectrix Scooter rear end to drive around the world. The motor is a brushless, permanent magnet, radial air-gap motor:

* motor torque is 22 Nm continuous, 65 Nm peak
* motor power is 7 kW continuous, 21 kW peak.

The motor drives the wheel through an epicyclic reduction gear with a ratio of 4.6:1.

The mass of the rear-wheel assembly (swing arm, motor, reduction, wheel, tyre, brakes) was 28 kg.

'''Advantages:'''

* the torque and power are good
* the mass of the package is low
* it is very easy to install.

'''Disadvantages:'''

* we could not find a low-energy car tyre to fit between the swing-arm forks
* the motor and reduction gear are noisy
* black dust from the dust seal (!) clogged the optical encoder after about 25000 km.

=== Brushless motor controller ===

With brushless motors, the motor controller must control ''commutation' (the switching of current from one set of windings to the next), and regulate the direction, torque and speed of the motor by controlling the winding current.

For their trip around the world, Team Trev used a [http://www.semikron.com/ Semikron] SKAI 4001 GD06 1452L (air cooled, 450 V DC link, 245 A continuous) power stage with a custom-built control stage. The Semikron power stage was too large and overpowered (we hacked off half the heat sink!), but was the smallest power stage available at the time that could handle the 140 V battery.

Alternatives:

* [http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/paul-sabrinas-cheap-144v-motor-controller-6404.html Open Source Motor Controller] Members of the Ecomodder community are cooperatively developing a 144 volt 500 amp controller. Estimated cost is around $150-250 unassembled

* [http://www.newkellycontroller.com/ Kelly Controls] make a variety of controllers for brushed and brushless motors.

* [http://www.semikron.com/ Semikron] are now making smaller power stages.

martinwinlow
Re: Trev: Alternative vectrix motorcontroller

Hi R,

A useful and interesting thread. Please keep us updated with developments. MW

Regards, Martin Winlow
Isle of Colonsay, Scotland
evalbum.com/2092

BLUESTREAK

There is a guy selling brand new vectrix motors on ebay in (USA) $252.00 +shipping) I bought one I think I am the only one that has bought from him, worth every dollar.

PJD
PJD's picture

The Kelly controller link is bad. It is www.kellycontrollers.com

But having some experience with Kelly Controllers I (and some others here) would not recommend them. Even Chinese manufacturers have dropped them.

Sevcon controllers have a good reputation. They are not set up to sell or provide service to directly to end-users, but EV builder supply businesses sell them. The configuration application for Sevcon controllers is very expensive, but sellers like Electric Motorsport will do the configuration for the particular application.

www.sevcon.com

Kocho

I bought a Runke charger from him too - that saved my Vectrix. A good guy to work with. Got his stuff from the liquidation auction ...

R
R's picture

Certainly, this is a good temporal solution. How can we contact him?

I've heard a lot about sevcon, they may be able to program a MC to rule the vectrix engine

blip
blip's picture

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I can't post a new thread, only reply to existing ones, and this seemed the most relevant.

I was at a scrapyard a couple of weeks ago and saw a pair of scooters sitting there and noticed the rear hub motors. I had never heard of a Vectrix before, but there's 4G signal at the scrapyard so looked it up and was impressed by the top speed. I've been planning on building a reverse trike for years now, and didn't know what to use for a motor. When I saw the pair of scooters I thought I'd ask how much they were after for them... £20 each. Batteries were gone, as were charger and motor controller. Basically there was the motor, brakes, lights, wiring loom, shocks. For £20 I thought I'd just get it and if it's not suitable then I can part it out anyway.

//i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj495/phnarphnarphnar/vect01.jpg)

I'm new to EVs, I've been working on cars for 12+ years, including rewiring cars so I have a little experience but I'm still facing a very steep learning curve. My question: how hard would it be to use a Vectrix motor standalone? i.e. can I source a motor controller and other bits I'll need to make it work without it costing a fortune, or would I be better off with a different motor? I know it's a brushless motor, does that make it harder to find a controller for it?

Many thanks for any help

R
R's picture

It is a real pity how this vs are ending in those yards...
About the engine, it uses encoder system. The trev demostrates it is possible to use other motorcontrollers, but your easiest approach is to use original vectrix motorcontroller/encoder system.

antiscab

Trev used a modern industrial Variable frequency drive - They actually have an auto tune function and are adaptable to nearly any AC motor

the downside is they are physically very bulky and heavy - although for a trike situation this may be less of a problem.

The motor can develop far more power than stock.
The motor controller, not so much, though just using an original motor controller would be easiest in the short term

what are you trying to achieve with a trike build?

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

blip
blip's picture

Trev used a modern industrial Variable frequency drive - They actually have an auto tune function and are adaptable to nearly any AC motor

the downside is they are physically very bulky and heavy - although for a trike situation this may be less of a problem.

The motor can develop far more power than stock.
The motor controller, not so much, though just using an original motor controller would be easiest in the short term

what are you trying to achieve with a trike build?

Hi antiscab, thanks for the info :)

I'm building a single seater reverse trike for a few reasons. Most of my journeys are 5-20 miles and on my own so something electric would work well. I don't have a motorcycle license (nor do I want to ride motorcycles at the moment) so a trike is best for me as I can drive it on a car license. Also I can package it really well aerodynamically (i.e. fully enclosed bodywork) and be stable against side winds compared to a bike. I'm not aiming for top speed or performance, just something that will cruise at around 50mph. I'll be able to build it and put it through the MSVA test so it's all road legal.

Thanks for your reply too, R. I suppose the easiest option for me may be to get an entire vectrix to use as a donor instead or look out for the parts missing from mine (motor controller, encoder etc), and then convert to lithium batteries.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage