Brake fluid leaking.

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hall9000
Brake fluid leaking.

Hi! , it's me again.When a was recalibrating the throttle i realized that in one brake reservoir there was no fluid , and in the other one was leakin.¿So is easy to replace the brake fluid , or do you think that's better a technician do it for me?

Another question is regarding the front fork.¿Do you think we can upgrade the front fork , with another for example the tmax or another big scooter?¿Also the brakes can be changed , i mean putting another brand on disks and levers?¿It will be compatible?

And the last one of my questions , I saw in the past a guy/man here that upgraded the rear tire for his vec , that was bigger than the original one , he changed only rubber or the rim too?

boeingpilot
Re: Brake fluid leaking.

i realized that in one brake reservoir there was no fluid , and in the other one was leakin.¿So is easy to replace the brake fluid , or do you think that's better a technician do it for me?

Ok, if you're not familiar with brakes, I'd get a tech to do it. Why? It's your life! My biggest concern, why and where is it leaking? Hydraulic brakes are a sealed system. You should not be losing fluid. The brakes on the VX1 are pretty much motorcycle standard, any competent mechanic should be able to service for you.

Another question is regarding the front fork.¿Do you think we can upgrade the front fork , with another for example the tmax or another big scooter?¿Also the brakes can be changed , i mean putting another brand on disks and levers?¿It will be compatible?

I think I would ask why would you want to switch the fork? Vectrix used fairly good quality components. As for brakes and levers, again, Brembo is quality goods. Why change?

2015 Tesla S90D
2009 Vectrix VX-1 Leaf Conversion
1983 Lambretta Lynx
1980 Vespa P200
2013 VW Jetta Hybrid (gone....)

Bikemad
Bikemad's picture

I saw in the past a guy/man here that upgraded the rear tire for his vec, that was bigger than the original one , he changed only rubber or the rim too?

It was a wider and higher profile 150/70 13 tyre fitted to the standard 13" rim instead of the standard 140/60 13 tyre.

Alan

Hall9000

Today i'd take the vec to the mechanic.He told me that my brake fluid was leaking cause i had no brake pads.He told me that that kind of pads , when they're depleted , creates a path to the fluid to escape.I duno know if thats true , but he would charge 85-100 eur for the two brakes pads , the two liquid reservoirs and 1 hour of labor.

Bikemad
Bikemad's picture

There is a big difference between brake fluid actually leaking from the braking system and the brake fluid reservoir being low.
Unless there is an obvious sign of brake fluid leaking from the brake lines or around the brake caliper and all over the disc etc., it is unlikely to have leaked from the system. (a reservoir full of fluid will make a lot of mess as it leaks out.)

Both of my Vectrix scooters have a very slight weep around the seal between the lid and the reservoirs on both brake lever assemblies, and I would not be concerned unless drips were being formed.

The level in the reservoir will drop with all braking systems as pads wear, and I suspect it is simply low because the brake pads are worn thin and the fluid has simply transferred from the brake reservoir to the caliper as the pistons have moved out to compensate for the worn pads.

Pushing the piston back to replace the worn brake pads should force the fluid back into the reservoir and bring the level to the normal level again.

85-100 eur sound very expensive as the brake pads are very cheap to buy and a 500ml bottle of brake fluid should be sufficient to replace the brake fluid in both reservoirs and flush the front and rear brake lines through.

If you "had no brake pads", the pistons would be rubbing directly against the brake discs making a horrible grinding noise and requiring replacement of both the pistons and the brake disc in addition to the pads and brake fluid.

Alan

R
R's picture

but he would charge 85-100 eur for the two brakes pads , the two liquid reservoirs and 1 hour of labor.

Swapping brake pads barely takes more than 3 minutes, very easy. You can purchase brake pads to Alfred, from E-copdegas, or internet.
Refilling the brake circuits can be tricky, if air gets inside the conducts, but you can try by yourself after checking how to do this on YTb videos.
By the way, how is your 18650 project?
Regards,
R
Hall9000

The project is stoped , i'm doing all the measuring and stuff , and soldering 18650 to make a workable mock up.But the 9th of August , they would do surgery on me costing more than 9000 eur , so the vectrix must wait.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage