HsHot because of low temperatures?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Heavendenied
HsHot because of low temperatures?

Hi Together,
i drive my "new" white Vectrix VX1 Li+ since middle of 2016. Before, i had a silver VX1 Li+ for 1,5 years. The new vectrix had no problems for the last months, but after christmas it was standing still for 2 weeks. Last week i tried to charge it and there was the message "HSHot" when i turned ignition on. I thought that could not be true because we had about 0°C at that time and the Cell and amient temperatures showed between 0°C and 1°C. So i startetd charging and the next day i drove the Vectrix everything was ok.
Now i again didn't drive the Vectrix for about one week an in the morning when i turned it on there was again the HsHOt Error. Again the temperature in my garage was about 0°C and outside there was about -4°C. After i started to drive the HSHot warning did no longer show. After about 8kms the UpRst Warning showed up. I stopped, turned ignition off and startetd again and everything was ok...

Could these failures are caused by the low temperatures or do i really have a problem with my Vectrix?

X Vectrix
Re: HsHot because of low temperatures?

Its a known bug in the MC SW. The temperature value underflows and makes it look like a very high temp. I had the same issue the other day. I plan to fix it in my SW.

Heavendenied

Ok, thank you.
Thats what i thought.
As it only appears on very low temperatures and i know its a bug i can just ignore it.
Hopefully it gets a little warmer the next days. Brrr...

framuga

Actually this error is a bug of MC firmware, it is already corrected in the new version

R
R's picture

Actually this error is a bug of MC firmware, it is already corrected in the new version

Thank you for improving the vectrix.
I'm amazed by the huge improvements of the new set of firmwares. Hope Vectrix release them asap.
Heavendenied

@framuga:
Where can i get this new firmware? At the Moment i get this message every morning...

framuga

The new firmware is owned by Vectrixparts Poland.

Rolli

I asked them for an update and get it through an online service remote upgrade and diagnostic. You have to buy that for I think 55Euro. I think it is worth to pay that.

marylandbob

Charging COLD lithium batteries, (0C or below 32F) is NOT advisable!At cold temperatures, charging may result in internal plating out of lithium, resulting in later battery failure/malfunction. WARM such batteries before charging!--Most manufactures of lithium batteries advise charging in temperatures ABOVE 0c or 32F.

Robert M. Curry

Heavendenied

If possible i don't charge them at low temperatures. I normaly charge after riding and normaly the temperatures are at about 5°C after riding.
But be honest: Do you really think it is wise to warm the batteries before charging? How should i do this? To warm the batteries from outside would take a long time and very much energy...

Bikemad
Bikemad's picture

Lithium Ion batteries should not be charged if their cells are below 0°C, and on some electric vehicles, the BMS will actively prevent it. To avoid this situation, it is often recommended (in cold temperatures) to charge the battery immediately after use while the cells are still warm.

With regard to temperatures below 0°C, the reduction in the charge capacity of the traction battery becomes significant and lowers the remaining range available to the vehicle.
During the winter months, it is recommended that the vehicle is parked in an enclosed space that protects from freezing.

In the event that the battery has been left for some time and cell temperatures have dropped below 0°C you may find the battery won't charge.
An operator can ensure that the cell(s) temperature will rise above zero degrees by driving the vehicle for at least a few hundred metres prior to placing the battery on charge.

I see no reason why the above advice should not apply equally to Leaf cells.

I always keep (and charge) my LiPo packs for my electric pushbikes indoors during the winter to avoid them being stored (or charged) with sub-zero cell temperatures.

I find that the bikes' performance in the cold is also noticeably better with a warm (room temperature) battery pack.

Fortunately, my Vectrix is never exposed to sub-zero temperatures, as it lives in an integral garage and I will not ride it if there is any chance of encountering ice on the roads.
I can cope with getting soaked in the rain, but I have no intention of falling off due to icy roads, which would probably result in unnecessary damage to both myself and the Vectrix.
However, riding a lightweight electric pushbike on ice and snow is something that should never be avoided.

Alan

momo4gou
momo4gou's picture
I also have the HSHot issue.

I need your help.
I am driving a VX1 in Japan.
My VX1 was manufactured in 2008.
I started riding it in 2020 and now the ODO is over 40000 km.
I recently replaced the battery pack with a 2018 Amita 36S battery pack because the battery pack could not keep the cell balance. Then I started getting "HS hot".
After about 15 minutes of running, the tell-tale of rising temperature turns red, "HS hot" appears on the ODO display, and if I continue running, acceleration (current value output) is limited.

I have already installed VectrixDiagnosticsGUI on my PC and can view the vehicle status via PCAN-USB.

Will updating to the latest Firmware solve the "HS hot"?
How do I get the latest version of Firmware?
Can I update the Firmware in the Vectrix Diagnostics GUI?

The current versions of each firmware are as follows;
Battery Charger: TCCHLi03
Motor Controller: FRA17B19
ICM: DIY 1808
BMS: BMS R07

Thank you.

framuga

Check that the MC fan, which is located just below the seat and above the wheel, is working. You may be having heat dissipation failures on the MC

framuga

the last firmware revision I wrote is FRA20B01

momo4gou
momo4gou's picture
Re: I also have the HSHot issue.

I checked the MC fan. It was broken. The rotor does not turn lightly.
Can I buy spare parts ?
The sticker on the fan is printed "SPAL type VA31-A101-46S 12V".
Thank you.

momo4gou
momo4gou's picture
Re: I also have the HSHot issue.

I have replaced the MC fan with one that works correctly.
That fan is not new, but it works correctly when connected to 12V power.
However, the "HS hot" did occur.
I have checked the harness from the motor controller to the fan and there is continuity.
I suspect that there is no output from the motor controller.
How can I check that?

Can it be fixed by changing the software?
Do I need to replace the motor controller?
Thank you.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage