Aussie Autocross EV

5 replies [Last post]
galderdi

Hi, I have been stalking the forum for some time and I can now give you a summary of my background and plunge into the EV world.

I am located in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. I have been playing around in grass roots motorsport for about 12 years. Generally I compete in Autocross, Khanacross, Motorkhana, Hill Climbs and sprints. With the exception of the sprints all these sports are a time trial involving a standing start. I saw a Fiat Turbo Diesel doing quite well so I figured if torque is an advantage then electric motors are the way to go.

I toyed with the idea for a while before makign the decision to proceed in March 2015. I decided on front wheel drive as front wheel drive statistically has an advantage over rear wheel drive in my sports and all wheel drive is against our rules. I found an Advanced DC FB1-4001, built a chasis from the ground up and used a lot of running gear from a old Nissan Pulsar. By November 2015 I had a working prototype using lead acid batteries and a Curtis controller.

2016 was a bit of a development year while I sorted out all the teething issues. The first event was Feb 2016 (11 months after commencing the build). Over the following months I soon found the batteries and the controller were not up to the task. But even then I was placing in the top 25% of the all ICE field. I also experienced brake failures, suspension failures etc etc as expected with a first attempt at a home made chassis. Mid 2016 I converted to a Lithium Ion pack from a Chevy Volt and a 1000amp Zeva controller and it has transformed the car.

So far I have only entered in Motorkhana and Khanacross but I will soon enter some hill climbs too as soon as I have everything dialed in. My best result to date was a 3rd place outright in the 2nd round of the Queensland Motorkhana Championship. The car is better suited to khanacross as it is just as wide as a road car while most motorkhana cars are single seaters allowing them to dart between the obstacles at greater speed. Khanacross is more flowing and is suited to a car like mine with a firmer footprint and low centre of gravity. The car weighs in at 530KG without the driver.

I have at the design phase of my next project. I have planned to build a whole new car in parrallel. But recently I decided to build a new chasis but then transfer most of the components from the first car to the second. This approach will save a heap of time and make it more achievable financially. I realised I am losing some of my torque advantage being front wheel drive, so the new car will be rear wheel drive. I will take everything I have learned from the first car and apply it to the new one. I am confident I can reduce the weight by 100KG (hopefully more). That would bring the weight down to around 430KG. The weight isn't the main improvement though, the width will also reduce to make it more competitive in motorkhana. At this stage I am hoping to build the chasis by the end of 2017 so I can have the new car racing in 2018. But that is tight so I won't bet my house on it.

I will add some photos and videos shortly.

EV racing is awesome

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
galderdi
Re: Aussie Autocross EV

Oh and by the way. I created a brand name so people can find my EV easily. Just google "Full Charge Motorsport"

0D3A8537a.jpg
0D3A8710a.jpg
20150711_155130_resized.jpg
20150711_155130_resized_0.jpg
20160221_123216_resized_1.jpg
25338025285_23a8e5df59_x.jpg
29156377980_7cda14be14_k.jpg
gladstone QMC 2017.JPG
qmc gladstone 2017 2.jpg
QMC Gladstone 2017 3.jpg

EV racing is awesome

galderdi

Here are some videos from the Gladestone round of the Queensland Motorkhana championship where I placed 3rd outright

EV racing is awesome

galderdi

Here is an external view from last Sunday. This was a khanacross. I included the previous competitor (Dan in his WRX) so you can see the comparison in speed. This particular run I actually had a very competitive time but threw it all away when my wet shoe slipped off the brake at the finish line. Because we are required to stop at the finish line I earned a 22 second penality which cost me 10 places in the standings.

EV racing is awesome

galderdi

Here are a few of the onboard videos from last Sunday's khanacross:

EV racing is awesome

galderdi

My next event is a motorkhana and is coming up soon. It will be held at Willowbank on June 18. IF anyone is local feel free to come and take a look. Spectators are free. I'll post another update after the event.

EV racing is awesome

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

style="display:block"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2401070691062219"
data-ad-slot="2079401426"
data-ad-format="auto">

e-Moto G3 Volt Silicon Electric Scooter Commute and get around town on the G3 Volt Electric Scooter from E-Moto.

Who's new

• LiFePO4 Battery
  • teemumeena
  • carlos1984
  • Francie Cowles
  • evt4000_94566

Customize This