minimoto electric pocket rocket help

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
carlos1984
minimoto electric pocket rocket help

Hi guys I have a minimoto electric pocket rocket with Ducati stickers, it looks like the Minimoto Honda pocket rocket. I noticed that the wiring iis really messed up. The ignition is missing, when I first got it two oranage wires were wired to the throttle and a red and black wire were jumped , this is the only way the bike would turn on. It seems like the person who wired it did it backwards, the orange wires I think are for the ignition, the red, black wires are together with a green wire. ON the same harness as the red,black green wire there are also a yellow and black wire that go to the brack.
I ordered a new throttle with red,black and white wires, I connected red to red, black to black and green to white and jump the two orange wires together but nothing happens. When I touch the red and black wire together the wheel turns.

Can someone help me figure this out to fix the throttle.20170729_SIDE.jpg
20170730WIRING.jpg

carlos1984
Re: minimoto electric pocket rocket help

guys I forgot to mention the throttle I bought,

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/24-36-48V-Universal-Black-Electric-Scooter-Twist-Bike-E-Bike-7-8-Throttle-Grip/252693453548?ssPageName=ST...

This site says there are two types of throttles.

http://www.sdscooters.com/Tech/Electric_Scooter_Diagnosis.html

2 wire 5k ohm throttle
or 3wire hall effect. I am wondering if I bought the wrong one.

Bikemad
Bikemad's picture

I connected red to red, black to black and green to white and jump the two orange wires together but nothing happens. When I touch the red and black wire together the wheel turns.

Most Hall sensor throttles have a +5V feed, a ground connection, and a signal wire for the Hall sensor output.

When checking with a voltmeter, the +5V wire will typically read between 4.25~5V, the ground connection will read 0V, and the signal wire will typically vary between ~0.8V and ~4V.

With the battery connected (and the two orange wires shorted together) use a voltmeter to check the voltage between battery -ve (ground) and each of the three throttle wires (red, black & green) on the bike's harness.

The +5V wire should read between 4.25~5V, the ground connection should read 0V, and the signal wire will probably read 0V too (dependant upon the controller).

Then disconnect the battery and check the resistance between the disconnected battery -ve wire (ground) and each of the three throttle wires (red, black & green).

The +5v wire and the throttle signal wire should both read high, but the battery ground wire should read ~0 Ohms (the same reading that is shown when the meter probes are touched together).

The +5V wire will hopefully have been confirmed by the voltage check, and the ground wire should have been confirmed with the resistance check.
By process of elimination, the remaining wire should be the throttle signal wire.

As touching the red and black throttle wires together causes the motor to run (presumably at maximum speed) it would appear that the red and black wires are the +5V and Throttle signal wires, and the green wire is likely to be the ground wire, but you will need to check to make sure.

Connect the +5V wire to the red wire on the throttle, the ground wire to the black wire on the throttle, and the throttle signal wire to the white wire on the throttle and see if it works.

If it doesn't work, double check the voltage between the white and black throttle wires, if it varies between ~0.8V and ~4.25V when the throttle is operated, then the throttle control is working correctly.

Alan

carlos1984

15020553127631946436248.jpg

Hi alan,

Thank you for your help and sorry for the long post. I tried all your trouble shooting and everything checked out 5+ was red ground black and signal green. But still nothing with out the battery i got red 6 on voltmeter on 20k and black 0 and 1.4 on green. Once i connected the battery and tried it again nothing but when i check voltage across black and green ot changes when i use the throttle. I got a new pedal throttle and tried it. So i noticed the controller on the frame is a black box but it had a smalll crack in the corner. Once i opened it it has plastic surrounding all electrical components but still there was water in it. I dried it out and reconnected the throttle and it did show signs of life. There is barely movement on the tire when the throttle is pressed. While i was trying somethine elese i connect the twist and foot pedal together and it started working but both throotles have to be connected. I am wondering if the controller os bad or I need a higher resistance throttle since it seems to work with two throttles hooked up?

Bikemad
Bikemad's picture

Hi Carlos,

In your initial post you said the wheel started to turn when you connected the red and black wires together, but if red is +5V and black is ground, it would have simply shorted out the +5V supply from the controller (not recommended).

Connecting the green/white directly to the red +5V wire should produce maximum speed from the motor.
As it is not working with a single throttle, either the controller is faulty, or it requires a variable resistance throttle (potentiometer type) instead of the Hall sensor variable voltage type.

I would try a 5K or 10K potentiometer (5,000 Ohm or 10,000 Ohm variable resistor) in place of the throttle to see if it works as expected. If it doesn't work with a 10K potentiometer, you may have to replace the controller.

Alan

carlos1984

Thankss Alan, It does go to full speed when red and black are connected and connecting green/white does nothing. So I think you are correct. I will pickup a potentiometer next time im out to test and confirm if the controller is bad. If it is it might not be worth it buying a new one so I might just wire in a switch on the handle bars and it will go full speed. We see. Thanks again for your help.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage