Chattering VX-1

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ultanium
Chattering VX-1

I am having some serious problems with my 2007 Vectrix. I purchased this bike used, and have never had a chance to ride it until now, after updating it to leaf batteries. The first attempt to ride it did not go very well, chattering and bucking the entire way. Shortly thereafter, the motor controller died. I purchased a used motor controller from a friend, and ended up bricking it when I tried to update the firmware. I sent both units off to David Dugas, and he returned the second one repaired and ready to go. Upon reinstalling the motor controller, the same chattering problem exists. When I try to run the encoder calibration, it goes all the way to the right of the scale about 358. Often, the wheel operates backwards from the control. When I try to go forward the wheel goes backwards, when I try to go backwards the wheel operates forwards. I did not change the wires on the motor at all, they are still as they where when I removed the original board. I also put the bike in test mode by holding down the brake and cranking the throttle wide open, while turning on the key. That causes the back wheel to slowly turn in the forward direction about an inch then pause briefly and then move another inch. Does that mean that one of the phases is wrong on the motor? Or perhaps the motor controller has lost a phase? I am having nothing but problems with this bike, and could sure use some help if anybody has any ideas. I successfully converted my wife’s 2008 model, and David has been a huge help. I have been through 4 controllers now, and still cannot get my bike running. Help!

Tommy J
Houston, Texas

PS: I created a Facebook group called The Vectrix Club, if anyone wants to join.

MOSFETmeltdown
MOSFETmeltdown's picture
Re: Chattering VX-1

I changed my main board and needed to swap phases. See 'mixed up phases' here:
http://tinyurl.com/vectrixfixed
The symptoms were that the motor either stuttered/chattered and could not spin, or ran slowly in reverse.
Hope this helps.

BLUESTREAK

Really nice job on the conversion.this idea of adding 20 modules is very interesting ,I thought you could add only 19 modules. I was unaware that it could handle this voltage and that the charger could not put out this much power?. I have a 18 module conversion and I have 6 modules left over of the older 60 ah.modules. what extra did you have to do the controller to do this? if it's easy I might add 2 more modules.this is my personal bike/trike and I am making my son's bike/trike using the 2016 82 ah. modules. the silver one is mine. the red one is my son's.2015-03-16 12.45.54_0.jpg2015-12-28 10.11.21_2.jpg2016-09-02 14.04.21_1.jpg2016-09-02 14.05.06_3.jpg

MOSFETmeltdown
MOSFETmeltdown's picture

Nice work ☺️
I'm using David Dugas' s/w.
The charger puts out 160 volts no problem.
Note that I split the pack into two, this made for easier handling and the pack fits perfectly.

vx18650

Hello Ultanium, i had the same problems, i changed the compleet motor with encoder because i had a spare bike. But the problem is in the encoder. Maybe dust or bad allignment or broken. I am 100% sure that is the solution to the problem.
Gr,
Marcel

X Vectrix

The VX1 has 2 routines that are used to determine if the MC is working correctly. The first tests the phase integrity. This test does not require any current or encoder feedback and must pass in order for anything else to work. This test simply applies a low torque, slowly rotating field in the stator. The wheel must turn in the forward direction w/o any stops or jumps. If it stops or jumps there is a phase problem. If it is smooth but turning backwards then two phases must be swapped.
Once this test passes OK, the encoder routine will calibrate the encoder. Encoder calibration has to be redone anytime the phase wires are swapped, an encoder is replaced, or a new MC is used. The calibration is stored on the MC. If the calibration does not complete within one full rotation of the motor then there is an encoder problem.
These routines can be initiated by turning key off. For phase routine, apply full throttle and right brake, then turn key on. Hold throttle and brake till WRENCH light comes on. Wheel should rotate. Calibration is implemented with left brake.

Sacko

Do we know the max voltage the components for the Vectrix can handle?

I put 19 in mine, despite there being room for 20.

MOSFETmeltdown
MOSFETmeltdown's picture

Saw this posted elsewhere :
"the controller has an input current limit of 275A.
the controllers IGBT's are 600v devices (not sure what the caps are - they will be the limiting factor)"

Mine charges to 160v and shuts off.
Been riding it like that for some months..

spoonman

I changed my main board and needed to swap phases. See 'mixed up phases' here:
http://tinyurl.com/vectrixfixed(link is external)
The symptoms were that the motor either stuttered/chattered and could not spin, or ran slowly in reverse.
Hope this helps.

It certainly did!
Encountered precisely the same phase issue that you did when I swapped out a bricked MC for another I had laying about - that same 'line 5' solution sorted it right out.
Thanks very much for the share!

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage