Buying a Z-20? You're gonna need some of this stuff...

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
DonCristobal
DonCristobal's picture
Buying a Z-20? You're gonna need some of this stuff...

I have read in a smattering of posts that those of us who are purchasing Z-20s are going to need a variety of gadgets to make the bike last longer. If anyone would be so kind as to summarize these items on this thread I would be most appreciative. I know that at least one item was a battery balancer. If you have any links as to where one should purchase the goods that would also be awesome.

Thanks!

NickF23
Re: Buying a Z-20? You're gonna need some of this stuff...

I remember reading a press release that EVT's new scooters would have balancer. I'd be surprised if they backtrack on that.

andrew
andrew's picture
Re: Buying a Z-20? You're gonna need some of this stuff...

Don't worry if you don't want to buy everything here. I tried to do a complete list to cover almost everything you'll need to anticipate most problems and keep your scooter running. I think you should seriously consider buying batteries ahead of time so you don't have to worry about the stock batteries dying and leaving your scooter unusable for weeks while you try and warranty the batteries or locate replacements. Batteries degrade very slowly and should be good for a long time if you charge them about once every few months. I put 6 batteries so you have 1 spare in case one of the batteries in the replacement or stock set fails.

I don't think the Z20 will includ battEQ or any battery equalizing at least from what Gman posted. Check last 3 replies from Gman in "Is the Z20 the FIRST scooter to have Equalizers ?". If they were I think they would advertise it.

Read this: http://visforvoltage.org/book-page/728-newbie-ev-faq

Heres what I would get:
(1) BattEQ 5-battery equalizer
or (4) powerCheq units

Wiring and hardware to install battery equalizer. Check hardware store for wire and wire crimp connectors, as well as crimp tool.

May also want electrical tape and/or heat shrink for above installation.

(2) digital multimeters. Can get cheap ones from harbor freight. You'll have an extra in case you damage one.

(6) B&B lead-acid batteries with the right case size. The stock Z20 batteries are 7.6 x 5.2 x 6.73. B&B EVP35-12s are 8.27 x 5.08 x 7.05 so they might not fit. I'd order the batteries after I got the Z20 and checked if they can fit.

Something to put a load on the batteries or a battery load tester.

(1) 12v battery charger. This is good to have for your car anyway.

(2) Spare tubes if they are tube type tires

(2) Spare tires if they are tubeless (you don't want to patch tires on a bike, its much safer to just replace the tire)

Brake oil of the right DOT type. Check manual or bike for recommended brake oil.

Fork oil of right type specified in manual. You may want to change to a different viscosity depending on how the bike feels, what your preferences are, and the ride profile.

Replacement fork seals

Tire pump

Survey what tools are provided with the bike and what you may need. You might need to buy:

Tools to remove tire from rim

Tool to adjust front end bearing play

Additionally any tools to check all the hardware on the bike for proper tightness.

Get mini-crescent wrench to safely check battery terminal connections. Use electrical tape to insulate it.

Safety glasses and gloves for safely working on electrical stuff.

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07

Support V is for Voltage