Earth Hour 2008

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alias
Earth Hour 2008

Now is the time

As of today we are having an energy saving day, however this should be everyday.
In major cities such as San Francisco CA,they will be turning off major lights from buildings to bridges for one hour.

Alias
Re: Earth Hour 2008
chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

Does it count if you turn off the main breakers coming into your home and run the house on batteries for that hour? I could do that and still do everything I can do with the mains on.

Grandpa Chas S.

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

Does it count if you turn off the main breakers coming into your home and run the house on batteries for that hour? I could do that and still do everything I can do with the mains on.

Grandpa Chas S.

I dunno. It kinda kills the spirit, since you'll have to recharge the batts later (plus charging losses).

I'd be doing it anyway (just for the computer), but my inverter is broken.

Friggin' parents...

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

~1 HOUR LATER:

Well that was kinda lame.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

Yea, it is kind of like the only reason you stop is to make it feel better.

reikiman
reikiman's picture

Lame? All the said was to turn out the lights. Big whoop. For the last 18 yrs I've used compact flourescents so turning off the lights does almost nothing.

So what did everybody do? Anything above and beyond the call?

I turned off the lights .. and went grocery shopping. The lights were on everywhere between my house and the grocery store and the store had their lights on.

For me, grocery shopping means getting out a bicycle, hooking up a trailer ...

andrew
andrew's picture

lol this is ridiculous. I'd be worried about riots or crime if you own any commercial property in any of the cities mentioned.

"Turn out the lights, and uhh grab the shotgun!"

[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/587-my-kz750-electric-motorcycle-project]KZ750 Motorcycle Conversion[/url]
[url=/forum-topic/motorcycles-and-large-scooters/588-fixing-my-chinese-scooter]900 watt scooter[/url]
Pic from http://www.electri

Alias

andrew wrote

"Turn out the lights, and uhh grab the shotgun!"

I'll be grabbin my .357 too with that one ;)

Alias

WOW,i'd have to say that I am rather dissappointed in the city and caltrans.

So okay, I left the house (and yes my lights were off)...
I decided to take a drive to Treasure Island SF.
I got there at about ten minutes to 8pm.
I took a few pictures and it was hard to keep the camera still due to the fact that I was freezing my backside off.
There was actually a big crowd at the parking area of Treasure Island and a couple of news vans, figures um.
I also spotted one of the Toyota Rav 4 EV's! I spotted something else that I got a good laugh at; so I was sitting in my car and noticed something drive by me. It was an older crown vic and it had the words "UFO Response Team" written on the back of the vehicle and it was set-up like a patrol car to me.
It was flippen hilarious, lol people are interesting. Forgot to get a picture of that, it was cold sorry.
I waited basically the whole hour and all the city did was turned off the top lights of the bridge which were the main bridge points. It was ridiculous, nothing else in the city was dark I was dissappointed!!
I love it how they advertise how "oh were going to make things great by turning electricity off and saving energy."
What a bunch of hooey!!!

"That's all they did???!Wow
baybridge2.jpgbaybridge.jpg

Mik
Mik's picture

When I last heard about a similar proposal (= turn off the electric devices all at once) it was in the context of an attempt to sabotage electricity supplies to stop the building of a nuclear power related project!

The idea behind it was that this would lead to immense power over-supply, damaging the power supply infrastructure.

AFAIK that did not work, either! But probably because few people participated.

If people did actually turn off all appliances and lights for an hour (as suggested here in Australia by some for this EARTH DAY event), then the amount of power needed to repair the damage to various parts of the grid would be way larger than the saved amount.

A bit like my Vectrix: So far it had to be shipped half-way around the world to Oz, then trucked 2000km, then a replacement trucked 2000km and the original trucked 2000km back.
Then the technician had to fly 4000km to replace the main fuse.
So far probably one of the most environmentally unfriendly Vehicles all up!

And, like the promoters of Earth Day, I hope it will set some sort of signal that makes the overall outcome a positive one in the long run.

Mr. Mik

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Alias

Mik wrote

it was in the context of an attempt to sabotage electricity supplies to stop the building of a nuclear power related project!

Hmmmm, The Atomic Energy Act of 1974 which created two new agencies; the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to regulate the nuclear power industry and the Energy research and Development Administration to manage nuclear weapons, naval reactor, and the Energy Development programs.
oooh there was the Manhattan Project and the Atomic Bomb as well that the DOE was a big part of.

Alias

I apparently said a bad word on my last posting, so I apologize to the community.
I have never let myself get out of hand like that before, woops!

hmmm I thought of an appropriate song for me "Wanted Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage