Fuel cells for toys

1 reply [Last post]
reikiman
reikiman's picture

I came across an article on CNET Here come the bite-size fuel cells about a company, Horizon Fuel Cell Technologies ... they're making a range of fuel cell's and related gizmos and it appears you can actually buy them.

Interesting thing is they're looking at the Radio Controlled 'toy' market as a way to get some fuel cells into the world and in peoples hands. They have a $1500 kit (eye bulging, yes) that can plug into a standard widely available RC car and can drive the car for over an hour versus the 15 minute run time for NiMH.

Yeah, it's expensive, but is a step towards this being more widely available.

They also have a $115 toy car with a portable fueling station. I just couldn't stop myself and I should have one of those in my hands by the weekend. For it apparently uses a balloon for the fuel tank...

- David Herron, Green Transportation Examiner, Green Transportation Info, The Long Tail Pipe, Electric Race News, davidherron.com, 7gen.com, What is Reiki
- Charger bike (rebuilt), Electrified Electra Townie, 1971 Karmann Ghia

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
andrew
andrew's picture
Re: Fuel cells for toys

I think it would be a neat gadget.

They don't list the electrical energy content of the 20L H2 tank using the fuel cell. For their cheapest fuel cell system with a flow of .22 l/min and generating 13w at peak, the 20L tank will provide 19.7 whrs. Not too great, but you can "charge" it instantly. That's something that can't be done with a battery.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Short URL

Customize This