Who Killed the Electric Car? Essential documentary explaining what happened the last time electric cars were killed

Fuel cells for toys

1 reply [Last post]
reikiman's picture

I came across an article on CNET Here come the bite-size fuel cells about a company, Horizon Fuel Cell Technologies ... they're making a range of fuel cell's and related gizmos and it appears you can actually buy them.

Interesting thing is they're looking at the Radio Controlled 'toy' market as a way to get some fuel cells into the world and in peoples hands. They have a $1500 kit (eye bulging, yes) that can plug into a standard widely available RC car and can drive the car for over an hour versus the 15 minute run time for NiMH.

Yeah, it's expensive, but is a step towards this being more widely available.

They also have a $115 toy car with a portable fueling station. I just couldn't stop myself and I should have one of those in my hands by the weekend. For it apparently uses a balloon for the fuel tank...

- David Herron, Green Transportation Examiner, Green Transportation Info, The Long Tail Pipe, Torque News, electric race news, davidherron.com, 7gen.com, What is Reiki
- EVT 4000, Charger bike (rebuilt), Vego 600sx (rebuilt), Electrified Electra Townie
- Lectra motorcycle, 1971 Karmann Ghia

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
andrew's picture
Re: Fuel cells for toys

I think it would be a neat gadget.

They don't list the electrical energy content of the 20L H2 tank using the fuel cell. For their cheapest fuel cell system with a flow of .22 l/min and generating 13w at peak, the 20L tank will provide 19.7 whrs. Not too great, but you can "charge" it instantly. That's something that can't be done with a battery.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Short URL

Customize This