BD 36 on ping battery

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
dogman
dogman's picture
BD 36 on ping battery

I just got my 36 volt 20 ah ping lifepo4 battey. I was needing more range than lead. With a big schwinn trike I was getting 6 to 8 miles on the stock lead pack, 6 miles at full throttle, 20 to 25 mph. This ping battery is running fine with my WE BD36 kit. I can run 15 miles at full throttle without any problems from the bms cut out. With the larger ah battery I have enough amps for a stock controller and can climb a huge hill without any worries about the bms cutting out to save the battery pack. I suspect that a 10ah pack would be unlikely to climb the hill to my house, but the 20 ah has lots of amps to get me home. Lead was leaving me peadaling uphill at the end of the day. Get the big one, and you will find a way to use the extra range.
At 15 pounds, it's just over half the weight of 12ah lead.

dogman
dogman's picture
Re: BD 36 on ping battery

I've been running the 36v 20 ah ping battery for about a week now and have no problems with the battery. I was popping a lot of spokes on the trike though since it had no suspension. On a 24 mile per day round trip it was getting a pounding on the bike path. Now I am running on a full suspension mountain bike and getting a lot more speed and range. range is at least 18 miles full throttle all the way except for downhills. That 18 miles includes 700 vertical feet of uphill, as well as about 8 smaller ups and downs before the big hill. The battery gets hot though, so I'm working on an aluminum box to help dissipate heat. Full charging is taking about 10 hours, but since I coast downhill for a lot of the way to work, I'm getting fully recharged after about 6 hours at work. The pack on the rear carrier is pretty light at 15 pounds and doesn't feel like an anvil back there like the lead did. The 20 ah ping battery fits perfectly into the stock battery bag so that was a nice bit of good luck that made switching to the ping easier. I would guess that if you had a flat road to ride to work, and an 8 hour workday, a 20 mile one way commute would be doable with a 20 ah ping battery. I sort of kick myself now for not getting a 48 volt, but my hub motor is also getting pretty hot, climbing the big hill. So maybe at 36 volts I'm melting enough brushes allready. I might save myself a ticket too, but so far the cops show no interest in me at all. If I understand the New Mexico state law, I'm a moped so its good that I kept the motorcycle licence all these years. A bike helmet will do me since I'm a lot older than 18. Thirty years ago when I rode a gas moped, there were no such thing as bike lanes let alone the nice bike paths that got built as the town grew. I am not asking anybody if I am allowed on the bike paths, but there is no signage saying no mopeds YET! If the law says I can't ride the bike path it would be suicide to ride in the street without being on a larger faster bike, which by my calculations can cost as much per mile as an economy car including fuel. The WE hub, ping battery, and a mongoose cheapie mountain bike still cost less than 4 cents a mile, if I get about 1000 cycles out of the battery. With lead it was more like 10 cents a mile total cost. My car is costing about 35 cents a mile. The bike would be even cheaper if we didn't have to buy our electricity from texas at 11.5 cents per kwh where the rest of the state only pays about 8 cents. Still it feels good to pass the huge line of cars at the sams club gas station on the way home every day.

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

rhfritz

Had you performed a current measurement to determine how much you were pulling at full load from your SLA's before you switched to lifepo4? I've been considering the switch myself but haven't gotten around to doing the load test and was concerned that the BMS would get in the way.

dogman
dogman's picture

No I haven't, I don't have the equipment. I do know I'm putting out pretty much the maximum the WE bushed will do if left stock. This route I ride is pretty much all uphill to get home, and at one point I gain 500 vertical feet in about a half mile. My experience, along with what I've seen on other posts indicate to me that the ping batteries run pretty well with the stock WE controller, and brushed or brushless motors. That goes for 48 volts as well. Some people have had problems with the smaller size ping batteries, especially the 10 ah, either cutting out on hills, or under acceleration. I am not sure whether my controller is 20 amp or 35, but I think mine is a 20, for the brushed hub. The cut out problems I've seen posted elswhere were not on WE stuff, but a variety of bikes and scooters. In most cases, the 10 amp size was just slightly too small for the continuous amperage draw. I think it's cruicial for folks to buy the 20 ah size, since it comes with a more powerfull bms, allowing more amps to flow. At only 15 to 20 pounds, weight should not stop anybody from packing the extra amp hours. Everybody will be happy with the extra range. The 15 ah size is perfect for my commute, but having the 20 gives me extra range for detours, scenic route, or windy days. On my MTB, I get about 18 miles of flat out, full throttle, uphill riding. I like to give range in bad as it gets terms. If I rode slow, and did not live on a big hill, I could go 36 miles per charge. For me the combination of the 36 volt ping battery and a 25 mph motor is the ideal commuter bike.

Be the pack leader.

pgt400
pgt400's picture

Hello, dogman. What did you pay for the 36v 20ah ping shipped? I have decided on this battery but have to wait for him to get more stock.

dogman
dogman's picture

Mine was $450 including shipping, not including ebay. That was before the run on his stock. auction the same week was at least $150 more.

Be the pack leader.

Richard145

Seems that there are increasingly more listings on ebay for lifepo4 batteries. I assume that this means that the prices may start to drop soon. What happens if the battery shuts off from too much amp draw (i.e., what has to happen to get it going again?

Gasoline? No thanks.
RL

dogman
dogman's picture

Generally a bms shutdown requires the plug to be unplugged and reconnected to reset the bms. A controller shutdown is fixed the same way. controllers can trip if they get too hot. If you are tripping a bms regularly you are running too big a motor or controller. It takes the largest size of the Ebay batteries to even deliver 20 amps. Many many many scooters and bikes need more than that. 500 or 600 watts is about all most of these batteries can handle.

Be the pack leader.

Richard145

I'm considering Lifepo4 at some point, but am seeing wide ranges of number of charge cycles for SLA. What should I expect from the SLAs realistically. Most of my riding is to and from work, 4 miles each way, with the batteries being recharged at the end of the day. Also curious about what kind of physical abuse either type might tolerate. I'd hate to kill over $600 worth of batteries by the bike falling over, wouldn't worry as much about $120 worth of SLAs.

Gasoline? No thanks.
RL

dogman
dogman's picture

You will need some kind of box on lifepo4 batteries unless it comes that way. I took a cookie sheet and folded it into a custom box for my duct tape Ping battery. When I flipped the bike and broke both collarbones the battery was ok, but had a big dent in the cookie sheets corner. Others have had poorly boxed batteries ruined by falling over. Inside the battery is little foil pouches that are easily ruptured if left in a battery bag with just the duct tape. Others use round cells and may be more durable.

Be the pack leader.

rhfritz

Dogman,

I'd noticed from the Ping pictures that they appeared to be wrapped in duct tape. Are his made out of round cells? Did you take off the tape when you cookie-sheeted them?

Rob

dogman
dogman's picture

The ping, and other duct tape batteries have been made with prismatic cells, which are foil pouches with two terminals on top. A stack of em makes a rectangular shape. Each pouch on the old Ping cells was 5 ah, and the new ones are 4 ah apeice. So a 36v 20 ah from last spring, like mine, has 4 pouches per 3.4 volt cell, and 12 cells. My 36 volt battery is actually usually above 40 volts, and at full charge around 44. Sla batteries charge to 43 for a 36 volt pack, but drop down closer to 36 pretty fast, where lifepo4 stays higher for most of the ride.

The cells on mine are made by connecting 4 pouches with solder and then stacking them up and connecting in series fashion to the desired voltage, in this case 36. The duct tape then binds them together into a box shape, and a cardboard cover is put on the top over the solder and taped down. All the tape on mine is intact, or replaced after a look, and I put an extra layer of cardboard to insulate all the soldered connections. Then the cookie pan was put under the battery and cut in the corners, and folded up to make a sturdy box with an open top. This box is then carried on the bike with a toolbox bolted to the seatpost rack. So I have two layers of metal between the road and my battery. When I crashed, i was still using the battery bag from the sla pack, but the cookie pan saved my battery. Others have had rubbing cut open cells, or bashing the road cut open cells. So protection for these duct tape batteries is a must. An inadequate box is not enough if it falls apart on impact in a crash. Some report that the cut cells still work, but are worried about leakage. There is talk that Ping will soon have boxes for his batteries, but no solid word to when. He is constantly improving his product and Is extremely trustworhty.

The round cells commonly avaliable don't appeal to me since a large battery from them requires more than a hundred cells. That is a lot of connections. One brand A123, is superior to all others, and is actually used in the tesla car. They can take huge discharge and charge rates compared to a Ping, and the price is huge for them too. If you only need a 4 ah battery, they are the ones to use. Other round cell packs on ebay have not been sold long enough for us to get any feedback on them yet.

In general, for a bike, you are looking for a pack that can do 20 amps rated, or nominal discharge rate, and usually about double that for continuous discharge. Less than that, people tend to have problems. Very low watt scooters can run on the 10 amp batteries, but not big bikes.

Be the pack leader.

rhfritz

Thanks for the info. It reminds me that one of the first mods I made to my bike was to replace the WE kit rack with a much sturdier variety. With 36v of 20ah SLA, the WE rack would noticably sway when I cornered. But I failed to consider that the thicker rails on the new rack left too little velcro overlap for properly securing the SLA bag to the rack. I was fortunate to have taken the turn into an empty lane of traffic so that when my battery bag left my bike at a tangent and went skidding across my lane and into the oncoming lane, I was able to quickly park my bike and recover it. The bag was shredded. And although the battery shells looked like hell, there were no cracks or holes. The other saving grace was that this incident was prior to the fire which caused me to replace the RCA connector with a variety that now wouldn't "quick release."

Based on your experience / advice, I'm saving my money for a 48v 20ah Ping pack. But now I'll have to consider how to package them.

So what was happening when you crashed? Broken collar bones are not a scheduled part of my commute.

Rob

dogman
dogman's picture

I was riding a bike with the water bottle mount in a stupid place. I got one chance to learn that pulling the bottle while moving results in stuffing the bottle into the forks when the bottle touched the front tire. there is a post about it here somewhere.

Be the pack leader.

rhfritz

Ouch. I think that mount point on my bike has the pump. Though I've been considering buying a couple of these: http://www.airfreetires.com/shopping/c-14-26-inch.aspx

I was going to ride this morning and was putting air in the front tire and the darn valve-stem came off in my hands. I wasn't about to get involved in removing the wheel so I drove instead. For me, the bike is about the commute, and if I can guarantee I don't get a flat, those are tools I don't have to carry. In addition, Wal-Mart carries a high-density-foam tube insert for about $20.

R.

dogman
dogman's picture

I rely on the green slime. Lotsa thorns here in the desert. Wouldn't help with stem in your hand though. I try to keep my route close to bus routes for emergencies.

Be the pack leader.

Arno J. Wulfert

Dogman,

You may remember my other blog... BL-36 power upgrade... Anyway, Now, after reading more from you and others, I'm thinking about popping the $$$ for a Ping Lifepo4 48V 20 AH battery with charger... So, help me out... With the Ping I should get more distance and go faster than what I'm getting with the stock 36V, 12 amp SLA battery set-up?? Doing pretty good with the stock set-up but would like to go more distance (not necessarily faster)...

Cheers and thanks for all your good words,

AJW

Arno J. Wulfert

dogman
dogman's picture

You will love it. A 36v 20ah will fit in the original battery bag and go farther than 20 miles uphill. A 48v should go at least 4 mph faster, and depending on your speed, 30 mile range should be possible. Losing half the weight is a big deal too. A few folks on other forums report problems with duct tape batteries but I find they tend to be running big controllers or doing multipile packs. The majority of us do not have problems when running motors under 1000 watts. My pack still has all it's capacity whith 1400 miles on it. About 100 cycles now. A few will whine that thier 10 ah pack only delivers 9.5 ah or something, but really, your old lead 12ah may have only delivered 8ah. I assume a half ah or so has to remain in the battery to keep the cells alive. In any case your battery will last longer if you habitually leave at least 2 or 3 ah in it when you recharge, rather than run it till cutout.

Email Ping directly for a price. No need to bid on an auction unless you are in a hurry. It will take at least an extra 2 weeks, but you should save money.

Be the pack leader.

skylark

Let us know what the price is!

dogman
dogman's picture

Back last spring, the starting price of an auction was pretty close to what I paid. At that time, the auctions were starting at $350 for my sise.

Be the pack leader.

icecube57

SLA 12AH 12v under a 100A load delivers 6AH and lasts 8-9 miles open throttle. Under 60A load or less it delivers 7.5AH tops under wide open throttle for 12-15 miles realistically not theoretical.... SLA are rated at 60-65% of their capacity then they are dead weight. Good for short trips of 10 miles or less any more than that they leave you stuck. Feels like you're lugging a dead body. I use them cause they are hard to kill. Ive abused mine and they recover after deep discharging. Ive wrecked them on my bike. Left them dead for a month when my charger kicked the bucket. Overcharged them when my charger stopped going into float and had to manually time them. They have fallen off the rack. They are able to deliver the power i need for my 5-6 mile commute at work. I charge at work and ride home. Worked like the first day i bought them. My posted results are accurate because i tested it with a watts up meter that tells me how much is consumed out of the pack. If ur trip is short keep the sla its low up keep. They can be abused but not neglected. Buy lipo if u want to increase your range and maintain your top speed throughout the discharge of the battery. Lower 10AH lipo cant handle high discharge rates like higher 20AH can. Make sure u buy a real ping and not a knock off. The knock offs ive seen can take 12A constant and 30 peak when ping packs take 30 constant and 50-60 peak. You can always use the bms to charge...and bypass the bms on discharge if u need more current delivery.

Arno J. Wulfert

OK Guys,

Here's my latest finding on a Ping 48V 20AH battery... as I mentioned, I want one... But the $$$... Anyway, I bid on Ebay and let the highest bid take it (a wopping $830.00 won the auction)... Yes, I said $830.00... Not me... Now the "good news" if you believe it is GOOD!!!!, Dogman suggested I go direct to Ping's email and see what I could buy the Ping 48V 20AH direct (outside the Ebay auction)... Ping came back and said they would sell it for $598. That's still awful steep but now almost sounds like a good deal... I'm still on the fence about the the $598. but saving my stash...Oh well... I'll be back when I take the plunge...

Cheers,
AJW

Arno J. Wulfert

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

Wow, I knew he sold for cheap out of eBay, but, damn, that's like $0.63Wh. Nice.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage