We need to think and feel the current

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
WimW
We need to think and feel the current

How about this reasoning, folks?

We want to minimise our energy consumption, because minimal energy consumption means minimal battery depletion, and that means maximum range and maximum cycle life.

But unlike in a gas powered vehicle, we have no idea of our instanteneous energy consumption, i.e. how hard the motor is working or how many A are flowing.

The throttle (well, mine) only controls the average voltage going to the motor, so at the same throttle setting (say full throttle) it might be drawing 0 A (going downhill) or 100 A (accelerating uphill). Not a good control design if you ask me.

I want to control the current directly with the throttle, and have the control unit determine the appropriate voltage to achieve that current. That way I can adopt a low-energy riding style simply by not twisting the throttle too far. It won’t stop me from reaching maximum speed.

It would give us an even better feeling of what goes on than in gas powered engines. Their control logic still suffers from a dependency on rpms, whereas ours would be directly related to energy consumption.

What do you think? I’d say one of the alternative control units is probably capable of doing this, so I might try it! On the other hand, I need my scooter to be operational every day, so I'm hesitant about extensive mods.

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: We need to think and feel the current

Good idea to make the current controllable!

How exactly I do not know....

"I did an inductive measurement"

How did you do this?

I am tinkering with the idea to put a device around one of the battery cables of the Vectux and add a display that shows me the amps going in or out.

Mr. Mik

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

WimW

I'm going to do exactly the same thing. I want to use a sensor such as
http://www.vdo.com/products_solutions/cars/chassis/sensors/contactless-current-sensor/
but I haven't yet found out where I can get 1 (as opposed to, say, 1000). If you find a source, let us know!!

I used a simple Voltmeter and a Fluke current clamp somewhat like the i30 (borrowed from work).

I posted a suggestion for a current limiting circuit in another section. With some very minor changes, that could become our current control circuit - if it's correct, that is. I'm by no means an expert. Please take my ideas as ideas, not as solutions.

Cheers!

Mik
Mik's picture

I am actually not at all interested in automatically limiting the current.

I want it all available, all the time.

The cycle analyst and other devices will not let you accelerate when there is a truck next to you, about to change lanes into your lane, and the only way out is forward.

All I want is to be able to see in real time what is going in and out of the battery (for acceleration, regen braking and charging.)

For the fine adjustments I can then use the best motor controller there is: A brain! I just need a suitable sensor and display to give it the needed information.

Here are a few links to possible candidates:

http://www.scienceshareware.com/articles/measuring-current/csla2cd-current-sensor.pdf
http://www.scienceshareware.com/how-to-measure-AC-DC-current-with-a-hall-effect-clamp-.htm
No idea where to get it and how much it costs.

This next one is expensive, but I believe it is just what is needed:
http://www.globaltestsupply.com/test_equipment/AEMC_SL201_DC_AC_Current_Probe.cfm

I got a quote for AU$518.80 inclusive; but I cannot afford that at the moment...

Does anyone know if making your own Hall-sensor device is feasible?

Range 10-120A at 108V -150V is all that's needed for the Vectux.

Accuracy is not too much of an issue. If I get a current display within 15% - 20% of the true value it would be sufficient to help me adjust my riding style optimally.
I don't even need a numerical value....green, yellow, red on an analog display would do just fine.

Mr. Mik

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

Range 10-120A at 108V -150V is all that's needed for the Vectux.

That's within range of a high-current CycleAnalyst, actually. 200V and amperage depending on the shunt you use. Hundreds of amps, if you want.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

sgmdudley

I have the PAKTRAKR installed including the current sensor. I can MONITOR Total Pack Voltage, Individual battery Voltage and AMPS (both positive and negative). I had the
Cycle Analyst installed but for my needs it wasn't helping so I removed it. The photo show both installed on my ZAP Zapino. The PAKTRAKR also has a temperature function in
the remote pickup which I have located near the upper most battery (since heat rises).
new_zapino_dash.jpg

Robert Dudley
E-Scoot Tech

Mik
Mik's picture

Here is a cheap way of building a magnetic field sensor:

Hall effect chips are simmetrical devices: given a small current flowing through a diagonal of the square chip, the perpendicular component of a magnetic field to the chip die will cause a voltage to appear at the other diagonal, the intensity and polarity of the voltage being proportional to the intensity and polarity of the magnetic field.

http://www.instructables.com/id/A-magnetic-field-strenght-audible-indicator/

It must be possible to adjust the setup to include a display rather than an audible signal and measure DC current with it.

I have some old computer junk lying around - might get into that one day and pull out a Hall sensor to experiment...

Thank you for fixing this, Chas!

Mr. Mik

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07

Support V is for Voltage