Adapting a 36volt DeWalt charger to charge 36 volt lead acid battery?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
JED888
Adapting a 36volt DeWalt charger to charge 36 volt lead acid battery?

I have a minimoto 36 volt atv. I was about to buy a trickle charger on ebay when I realized I could get a 36 volt dewalt charger for the same or even less money, and have a faster charge time. I bought one for $20 shipped, and when it arrived I realized that the BMS made the process complicated. There is a black wire, a red wire, about 6 orange wires, a yellow wire and a brown wire. Is there a way to trick the charger to give me 36 volts and charge the lead acid battery that is stock on this atv? Or do I need to get a 36 volt dewalt battery and open the case and splice a pos and neg wire coming out of the case (after the battery chip) in order to allow this charger to function as it was designed (or close to it) The problem is the complexity of battery management and cell balancing, which are features that I do not require at this time due to the simplicity of my battery. I just need 36 volts. Maybe I should sell the dewalt charger and buy the right 3 pin 36volt scooter charger. any one want to trade? I already cut off the battery connector pins from the charger, so now I have stripped wires and no idea how to connect them. the most I get from any combination of them is 17 volts mostly, and occasionally 22-25 volts ( I have no idea why this fluctuation)

jbird
Re: Adapting a 36volt DeWalt charger to charge 36 volt lead acid

The Dewalt charger was designed to charge only 10 a123 cells and thus probably has a cutoff voltage of 36-37V which will not be high enough to charge the 36V SLA battery. The charging voltage would need to be 43.2-44.1V to charge effectively. In addition the Dewalt charger charges in about an hour. Since the a123 cells are only about 2.3ah, the charger probably only puts out about 3 amps assuming that it does some cell balancing at the end of charge cycle. A Soneil 36V 4.5A charger would probably work better for you as you are trying to charge a 36V 12ah battery pack.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage