Calling all engineers! Need help with a small diesel electric ev

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
todayican
Calling all engineers! Need help with a small diesel electric ev

I am planning a diesel electric hybrid, I want to run it as 72 volts, use the small advanced dc (motor and curtis 72v controller.
I have a chineese 10hp diesel that I want to use as the range extender / speed increaser Smiling

It will be a three wheel (2 in front 1 in back) 2 seat (36" wide side by side with an 8" stagger) highway capable car with a desired top speed of 80mph and an empty weight of (hopefully) 600 pounds not counting batteries

I want to keep the overall width to 56" (the outside measurements of the front tires) and an overall length of 120" or less.

The original idea was to mount the 2 motors in the rear on a large swingarm and install a centrifigual clutch on the diesel, run a chain from the output of the clutch to the rear wheel and put the electric motor on that same chain.
Problem with that, is the centrifigual clutch that will handle the load of about 13 "gas horsepower" is a dickens to get a hold of and adds unknown efficiency loss, hard to find drive sprockets etc.

Another option is to mate the 10hp diesel to the transaxle of a 1994 geo xfi I have, gear ratios look to be perfect for the engine.

Yet another option (this is where I am unclear) is to run a generator (multiple car alternators?) on the diesel and run it to the electric motor. with this I think *possibly* it would drive at highway speeds on "diesel" power alone, I am unclear about efficiency lost in alternators generators, manual transaxles etc.

I am the type of guy who will build something (have a mechanic I emply build actually) because I think it *may* work and that method is getting expensive Eye-wink

I am a sponge for advice, and would appreciate any input, help, even willing to pay or barter (I am a marketing guy) for some good advice.

Any Ideas?

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: Calling all engineers! Need help with a small diesel electri

A series hybrid is much better and easier than a parallel hybrid, IMO.

That way the diesel can run at it's best, most efficient and cleanest speed and load.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_hybrid#Series_hybrid

Mr. Mik

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

todayican
Re: Calling all engineers! Need help with a small diesel electri

I am inclined to agree, although I did find and buy a clutch today to test parallel, but I think I should test series as well (wont be a problem, the best place for the diesel is in the rear right where it would sit either way.
I got some info on adapting an automotive alternator to put out 72 to 85 volts. I am a bit lost on the switching between "diesel driving the motor via an alternator, and "diesel charging the main battery pack" probably not too hard, I just need to figure it out :-)

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Calling all engineers! Need help with a small diesel

If it were me I'd go the series hybrid route because the drive train is much simpler. Yes there's losses in the generator but with the series hybrid you could remove the generator when you're going short distances.

Anyway there was a similar design presented in the book: The Zero Carbon Car ... he used a marine diesel generator in an otherwise electric miata.

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Calling all engineers! Need help with a small diesel

Given that this is a duplicate posting, I'm locking comments on this one.

Further discussion should go here:
http://visforvoltage.org/forum/3856-calling-all-engineers-need-advice-small-diesel-electric-hybrid#new

Topic locked

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07

Support V is for Voltage