Vectrix stealth strategy for free recharging spots

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Morrison
Vectrix stealth strategy for free recharging spots

I just got my Vectrix today, but I have been scouting for available plugs around my area for the past week.
I have spotted a few likely targets in front of stores. I have also found a few outdoor plugs around areas of the parking lots with bushes. I think stores use these for Christmas lights during the holiday season. I tested one and it was live. Works for recharging my Vectrix and it is right next to a parking spot. :-)

I have found a solid spot at my bank, near my coffee shop and a few others for emergency. My quick testing showed that 30 minutes of emergency recharging for good for an extra 10 miles. You never know when you will need it. My goal is to identify a number of such spots around the city.

I am sure that I am not alone in doing this. Where are good spots to find the outlets around town? What have you guys noticed?
Thanks

Morrison in Seattle

TangentStar
Re: Vectrix stealth strategy for free recharging spots

Ya its amazing all the pluggins you find around when you look!

I would say the most reliable is infront of major retail stores, like walmart and such.
No one seems to care if you park there or plugin, i've even seen ICE bikes parked up next to the building.

If its a small shop I usually ask, and on public areas i try to leave a note if possible. I worry about leaving it in more open pulic most of all.

Thats the last thing I want is to come back to an unplugged bike.

I would imagine in Seattle you wouldn't have a problem with someone pulling the plug if they understand what it is...

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

I have a removable pack on my bike, so I can charge inside. There's really only two places I "need" (that's in quotes because with lithium I have more range than I can use) to charge at; work and the bowling alley arcade. I've already gotten the okay from the bowling alley (after my SLA pack was thrown in the trash once because it was mistaken for a bomb, ROFL), and no one's said anything at work.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

Morrison

Since I just got the Vectrix, I have only done it one time for 30 minutes.
I got a ton of second looks riding around today. I was stopped at the Post Office by a guy who recognized it as electric right away. He wanted all of the details. He was shocked that he had never heard of something this cool and available now. A few more in my neighborhood recognized right away that there is something different here because it was so silent or the electric whirl noise.

I need to talk with my local dealer about a $100 referal fee or something. I can tell they will get a few more sales from me talking about this and answering questions.

I expect more electric outlets or something like parking recharge meters to be available by 2010. It will have to happen with all of the plug-in hybrids coming on the market in 2010. But until then, we have to go into Vectrix stealth electric vampire mode. Free recharging anywhere possible.

The first stop I made was at Lowes to get a 40 foot extension cord for my storage compartment.

TangentStar

I know that the power cord is not endorsed in the owners manual, but I don't know if it wlll hinder your warranty.I did hear from Vectrix that you want it to be atleast the diameter of the charging cord, and at 40' you would probably want to go even heavier...

Morrison

I know that the power cord is not endorsed in the owners manual, but I don't know if it wlll hinder your warranty.I did hear from Vectrix that you want it to be atleast the diameter of the charging cord, and at 40' you would probably want to go even heavier...

I did not even think about that. Thanks for the tip.

I just got the ext cord and looked at it. 16 Guarge, 13 Amp, 125 Volt

The power cord on my Vectrix says 125 V / 15 A.

I am not knowledgable enough to know if this is a real issue or not. Is this nothing? Or is this worth worrying about?
Or should I get a different ext cord that is a bit more heavy duty? 15A?

duca

I did not even think about that. Thanks for the tip.

I just got the ext cord and looked at it. 16 Guarge, 13 Amp, 125 Volt

The power cord on my Vectrix says 125 V / 15 A.

Anyway a good practice is to avoid the cord to be fold or laying around forming spires while charging. It will make you laugh, but those roll-able cords you can find in hardware stores are rated for example 3000W full extended and much less when rolled.

knabo
knabo's picture

The manual says the extension cord should be at least 10A, so 13A should be OK. But to be on the safe side I would get a cord rated for 15A or more. If there is ever going to be a failure, you don't want it to be on something that you added.

Luther Burrell, Mesa, Arizona, USA
Rides: ZuumCraft from zuumcraft.com
Previous Rides: Blue Vectrix Maxi scooter

Wotnopetrol

Ya its amazing all the pluggins you find around when you look!

We could publish the GPS co-ordinates like they do with geocaching! Entered into a GPS unit you could search for the nearest refuelling spot!

I like that idea.

Simon.

Simon

arloguay
arloguay's picture

I have found that parking garages often have live outlets that can be used from parking spaces.

Arlo

Wotnopetrol

I have found that parking garages often have live outlets that can be used from parking spaces.

Arlo

Yeah, my regular one does, and I SHALL be using it if I ever need to, especially since they've had £880 from me over the last 2 years that I've been using the garage :-)

Simon.

Simon

Buzby
Buzby's picture

The trouble here is bike parking is usually free - so why you would want to pay for a space to park a car, simply to get a charge eludes me... unless of course it is for an emergency boost.

- Raymond

Wotnopetrol

The trouble here is bike parking is usually free - so why you would want to pay for a space to park a car, simply to get a charge eludes me... unless of course it is for an emergency boost.

It's in Canary Wharf, the biggest rip off area of London. I am negotiating free parking AND charging for my Vectrix as they already provide that for the electric 4 wheel vehicles.

As Canary Wharf is a private estate there is no free parking, they charge what they want, £27 per day for ICE cars, I'm very surprised they allow that free concession for 'leccy cars.

Their answer to my proposal was that. "If there is enough interest." Well there's two Vetrices there already, I'll just keep the pressure up politely. Free charging AND parking would be worth to me £500 per year saved.

Simon.

Simon

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage