Hi-PowerCycles.com - Are these bikes good? up to 72 Volts!

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
xring
Hi-PowerCycles.com - Are these bikes good? up to 72 Volts!

The electric bicycles offered at
http://www.hi-powercycles.com/product.sc?categoryId=2&productId=4
seem awesome ... but I haven't heard of these guys.

Here's a YouTube video of one of the bikes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI7mURSJWC4&feature=related

I'm curious if anyone here knows if these guys or their bikes are any good.

Some of the options run up to 72 volts! Wow!

Thanks for your thoughts!

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture
Re: Hi-PowerCycles.com - Are these bikes good? up to 72 Volts!

Interesting, even if prices are a little high. Though it's been done before, I've never seen anyone else offering dual-motor setups for sale like that.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

xring

Hhhmmm, "a little high?"
I'm not very good at pricing...
What would be a good price for something like this at
http://www.hi-powercycles.com/product.sc?categoryId=1&productId=10

Anyways, is it safe to be running such high voltages? with 14 gauge wiring? With LiPo batteries?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

========from the Hi=PowerCycles website=========
67V X-treme performace Electric Mountain Bike
Features:

-High Quality 7005 Aluminum dual suspension MTB with front Promax disc brake, Shimano Acera 24 speed w/EF-50 Eazy Fire Shifters and Kenda Negegal tires
-67V Lithium polymer battery system that weighs only 8 lbs!
-Brushless, Internally geared high torque/speed BMC hub motor
-14 gauge phase wires to reduce internal resistance
-Custom High Power 35 Amp controllers supply lots of torque. Higher Amps mean more torque to the wheel.
-Quick Release battery system allows removal in less than 5 seconds
-Insane Top Speed of 38 MPH means it is for Off-Road use only!
-Weighs 52 lbs. ready to ride!

Benefits:

-At up to 1650W, this E-motion Electric MTB offers much more power than any other commercially available electric bike
-Go anywhere your heart desires! This electric bike offers much better hill climbing and off-road ability than any other electric bike that you will find.
-Many competitive models use electric motors coupled to a chain to get power to the wheels, this means more maintenance, more noise, and more trouble for you.
-Operating cost of only $.05 per 20 miles. This number is based on a national average of 10 cents per Kwh, and 80% charging efficiency. Compare this to the cost of driving an average car estimated by AAA to be $10.44 per 20 miles (2007 estimate, when gas was only $2.26 nationally)! Every time you make a 20 mile trip, you will save nearly $10.44 if you were to drive an E-bike instead!

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

Hhhmmm, "a little high?"
I'm not very good at pricing...
What would be a good price for something like this at
http://www.hi-powercycles.com/product.sc?categoryId=1&productId=10

Anyways, is it safe to be running such high voltages? with 14 gauge wiring? With LiPo batteries?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

Typical wire is insulated to 300V. No problem on 72V. 14ga is typical of phase wires, though the X5 has high-end teflon coated 12ga. I think there's 16ga phases on my Golden Motor (those need upgrading...). LiPo is iffy. Don't crash, is all I can say.

Figure something you could build yourself:

X5 = $500
50A 72V C-lyte controller = $300
A 72V 20Ah lithium pack (assuming $1/Whr) = $1,500
Decent frame = $500
Misc (throttle, connectors, wiring, etc.) = a generous $200

$3,000 total, and this kind of setup will get you slightly better than this with the best options, but for nearly $1,000 less.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

JDELUNA

Anyone know what model Schwinn Full Suspension Bike they use ?? Thanks again for any info. God Bless :)

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

The pics show Midtowns for the commuter ones and what look like (I can't properly read the logo) Duch DH frames for the performance ones.

andys
andys's picture

the prices look fair to me if you consider the time involved in doing the conversion correctly and the high dollar parts list. I know how much fooling around it takes to put together a finished working bike like that. It also looks like he is using high quality components, and not Walmart stuff.

I remember thinking how expensive the BMC geared hubs were, and then I remembered I once spent that much money on a fancy road wheelset without a motor in them!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage