Custom battery replacement

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
omgitsme
Custom battery replacement

Hey,
Any of you guys replaced the battery inside the Bionx case with a custom made replacement battery?

I was looking inside the case and the battery is a 20 D-cell configuration, 7/6/7 cells in 3 rows to make a common block.
It has three wires, +red -black and (NTC)white (discharge temp). There are also 2 black wire that attach to a charging temp. fuse glued to the outside shrink wrap.
All original wires could transfer to new pack.

Of course, also inside the case, is a circuit board that contains the alarm, relay, charging recepticle etc.

A 10amp pack could be made for about $200.00, with quality common available cells, which would be a 20% gain in duration. (based on 24v 8amp NiMH original) That seems like a cost effective option to buying a whole new Bionx battery/case, when the need arises.

kosherrav
Re: Custom battery replacement

I'm thinking of the following for my Bionx Pl350 on a Catrike 700 w/battery mounted in bottle cage. Buy a 36 volt 20Ah LiFePo4 battery from pingping227 on Ebay for about $500 (includes free charger, BMS, and shipping from China.) Put it on a rack on your bike. Get a male XLR plug from mcmelectronics.com for about $4. Wire the new Lithium Polymer battery to male XLR pin 2(+), pin 4(-)and plug it into XLR charger port of present OEM Lithium Ion battery. The outboard 36V 20Ah Li Polymer battery should act as a battery charger for the old battery. Its a lot easier than replacing the old battery with another $950 Li Ion battery from Bionx. Also the Ping battery is double the Ah of the OEM Bionx battery.

Andre

Hello,

Please keep us informed of your finding, I am sure many BionX owners also have this idea in their mind.

I also have a PL350 which is working great. I am also thinking of adding a connection out of the original battery to plug an additional 36v 10Ah Lithium battery, Can the new battery be just put in parallel with the original one? The new battery would discharge with the original while in use. The new battery would be charged independently. It might be possible with an additional connector to charge both batteries with the original charger at a slower pace, that would be fine for me as I normally charge at night.

André Tremblay
Montréal

pazsion

no, you can not run 2 36v batteries in parallel or series..

It would only make the 2 batteries 72v.. I am not sure If the controller supports this as i dont have a bionx bike myself.. yet..

We did do the same thing with a razor scooter.. and It increased the voltage to 72volts.. and the system handle'd it nicely with additional heat.. But extrended ride time and higher top speed.. 34 mph paced.. Your results may vary..

And often controllers are built with minimal specs.. less then what should be there for even stock settings..

ashby3
ashby3's picture

You are incorrect. Two batteries of the same voltage in parallel will give you the same voltage but with more current. This is real simple to demonstrate. Take two or more 1.5 volt D cells and hook them together in parallel(all plus together and all minuses together) - you will never get more than 1.5 volts - hook them is series (Plus to minus) and you will get a voltage equal to the number of cells time 1.5. All batteries are groups of cells hooked together is combination for series and parallel groupings to achieve different voltage and current capabilities.

Ashby

transtech4u

Ashby is right. Basic science class is where it's at.

I've been following the other forum thread titled "Removing Bionx 20mph speed limit" and have done my homework. I live in the San Francisco Area. We have a lot of "cycle and pedestrian only" paved paths around here and I'm looking to get into a BionX assisted tadpole trike.

This thread is the most important and would be the most useful to me. I need the first of 3 questions answered, but doesn't appear that it's answered yet here: Will the BionX system accept (with modification) the hookup of a different 24v battery? Does anyone have experience or a forum thread to reference a successful swap of a 24 Volt Li-Fe-PO4 battery pack? I'm a lazy ass (but still in shape) I am self employed IT consultant and I have the privilege of working for myself. I want to show up a client's house clean and not smelling like a football player. I'm willing to spend another US$1000+ for an extended battery pack if it means I don't have to break a sweat and get to my appointments on time. Will the bioX system handle a battery with a higher amperage?

Question 2: The regenerative braking, Does it kick in the moment you stop peddling? Or does it kick in when you begin to apply brakes? or does it kick in only when you reach the top speed if you have the speed limiter on?

Question 3: Speed limitations due to the motor. If the BionX system is limited by the physical laws of a brushless motor and the torque that it puts out, can I find myself a secondary electric motor that is designed for higher top speeds and (yes I know I'm stretching here) have a secondary power input completely independent of the BionX system? I'm imagining it like a NOS system for a street car...

Thoughts, scientific inputs and suggestions welcome. My goal is to have a longer range (fully assisted) and higher top speed for my tadpole. I will succeed, with a little help from my friends. :)

Jason

ashby3
ashby3's picture

As to adding or replacing the batteries check out
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7813
Regen-Braking only happens when one turns it on from the console of if you have the brake lever of you bike fitted with the sensor and magnet then the Regen-Braking comes on when the brake lever is used.
To the max speed of the motor I believe it will go faster than 20 mph or else they would not have put a governor in the electronics but there is some maxim speed that this sort of motor will make.

Ashby

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage