Trouble replacing brake. Currie Lightning FS.

2 replies [Last post]
Ramma

So, I got some new parts for my scooter to get it running again and I can't seem to get the brake switched. My scooter has a 90mm band brake and I can't get the inner disk off of the rear axle.

Anyone got some tips to get it off? I've tried a number of different tools and it won't budge. Anyone think a bike shop could get it off for me?

Thanks for any help!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
e-doggies
e-doggies's picture
Re: Trouble replacing brake. Currie Lightning FS.

You might try a small oil filter wrench, or a strap wrench. I think the key is getting a good grip and having enough leverage. Everytime you applied the brake, it made the drum a little tighter on the wheel. If there was no anti-sieze compound between the threads, it might be very hard to separate them. Heating the brake with a torch may help. Good luck.

Ramma
Re: Trouble replacing brake. Currie Lightning FS.

Thanks for the response. Managed to get it off with a large wrench late last night. Then I realized my new brake cord wasn't long enough and the old one is broken, so my scooter still sits waiting for parts. :(

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Customize This