XB700 Li arrived today

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
ttunes
XB700 Li arrived today

Many thanks to the posters here. It was with your help that I went with the 700Li. And am I glad I did.
It arrived today in very good shape. There are a couple of very minor blemishes --- nothing that I am ashamed of ---very minor.
Putting it together was fairly simple because of the excellent instructions that Rossasraus had put together. Thanks Big guy!! They really helped.

It took almost 4 hours for the batteries to charge and then off I went. Whisper quiet -- love it.
Turn signal noise is not that objectionable. Not that loud -- course my hearing aids may need batteries. :)
Everything works fine.
I gps'ed it at 23mph while the onboard speedo clocked in at 40kmh. Slight error but not that much --- I use the formula of kmh * 6 and then drop the last digit. So at 40kmh my calculation was 24mph. Close enough for me and it sounds like it is in line with what other folks are seeing.

The only trouble I have had is getting the little locked compartment under the seat open. Guess I'll have to find a crow bar or something LOL. Any secrets to opening this silly thing? It is unlocked. I can lock it so the press to release button doesn't press and turn the key the other way so I can press but can't get the silly thing open. Latch must be bent or out align or something.

I will be adding the $10 Schwinn bike computer tomorrow. I'll have to rig something to hold the sensor. Shouldn't be a big deal. I did run the cabling and taped the sensor to the shock housing before putting on the handlebars. Made things a tad easier for tomorrow I believe.

Drove it in the dark a bit to see how well the lights really worked. Again -- good enough for me. Not super bright but at least I can pretty much see where I'm going. While I was out in the dark I drove by our culdesac where a local cop lives to get his impression. First he was surprised it was still "running" becasue I pretty much snuck up on him without any engine noises. Great impression and a small warning. HIs thought was if I get pulled over it will be becasue of no plate. But the good news was he says my line is perfect -- stay cool and just explain it is a bicycle and give a few details. I have the ad for electric bike and the law from Consumer Saftey Product people to show... he was surprised but caught on quickly. He did ask me for a demo of the "fully fuctional pedals." We both ahd a pretty good laugh. He doesn't think I will have any real problems with the local cops.

Took a few small inclines just fine. Tomorrow I have a few errands and there is one stretch in the road that will put this little guy to test. I don't know the angle of inclination but it's a bit steep. Not like straight up but more than enough to test this little guy.

Overall I am very satisfied. Thanks for doing the deal with me ArticFox. An exploded parts diagram and larger and possibly better detailed wiring diagram would go a long way. hint hint to the folks that put together the documentation.

Anyway -- day 1 is over and I am looking forward to many more pleasant days.

Thom

ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture
Re: XB700 Li arrived today

Thank you, Thom. Glad it arrived quickly (3 days?). :)

<table border="0" style="border:1px solid #999999; padding:10px;"><tr><td>
<a href="http://www.BaseStationZero.com">[img]http://visforvoltage.org/files/u419...
[size=1][color=black]www.[/color][color=#337799]BaseStationZero[/color][co

bickyd1a

Congrats on your new ride. Had the same problem with that little locked compartment under the seat. Just pull back slightly before pulling up and it should open with no problem, reverse the procedure to close. Let me know how it does on inclines when you have the chance.
Bickyd1a

rossasaurus
rossasaurus's picture

Hi Bicky,
About climbing; my GF was out last weekend and on the way home there's a 3/4 mile long fairly steep and constant hill which she cruised right on up, dropping to maybe 15mph; faster than I suspected. At the top of that the road home has a short steeper stretch which dropped her down to 10-12mph. This was after about 10 miles of riding earlier in the day and the GF is about 140#.

R

ttunes

Hey Bicky -- for most part I am able to climg small to moderate inclines iwth little trouble. The one hill I was concerned about required pedal power to make it to the top. But this is a pretty steep incline -- even for a gassy scooter. So I'm thinking I know this hill is there so I have 2 choices --- avoid it or learn to pedal better. The pedals are horrible to actually try and use -- but they do work.

the trick to open the compartment under the seat by pulling back worked great. Thanks. No crowbar required.

I mounted the cheapy Schwinn bike computer this morning. I used a block of white oak that was painted black with holes for sensor and mounting offset from each other. Then used a piece of 1/2" oak downel to mount the magnet. super glued the magnet to keep from loosing it.
I'll try to post a few pics here....gotta figure out how. It certainly isn't elegant but it does work with an error of approximately +2%. I used richarddb method of calibration.

This is the mounting block for the sensor. Nothing fancy but hey it works.
mountingBlock.jpg

Here is the sensor and magnet mounted.
mounted.jpg

And finally here is how I mounted the bike computer to the handlebars.
schwinn.jpg

Have a great day.
Thom

benmart

Thom congrats on your bike. I've had mine since August and the bad controller weas replaced by Extreme and so far I've had no additional problems. As to the small compartment problem, I unlocked mine, depressed the two plastic buttons and pushed down and towards the rear of the bike at the same time. It opened and I have left it so as I don't use it. Hope this helps.

I see that you are from Illinois. I live in California and I downloaded and laminated the California DMV statute that deals with e-bikes. I have yet to use it as all the police officers look and smile as they go after bigger fish. I ordered a small plate on the back that says "E-Bike 24016(a) CVC" (which is the vehicle code for the e-bikes). I might as well educate as I wait with the multitudes of gas-drivens at the lights.

I actually like the noise the turn-signal makes. It had turned heads and prevented a couple accidents by not-so-attentive cars, pedestrians, dogs, etc. Anything that I can do to make my silent presence known is much the better. I also went to the local hardware store and bought a reflective vest that I wear at night. That, plus some reflect tape here and there, eye protection, gloves and my DOT approved helmet rounds out the kit. Happy scooting.

Ben
Modesto, CA

Ben - Modesto

ttunes

Ben - I thought about ordering a special plate to help keep the boys in blue off my tail. Fortunately I haven't had the need. I've had several cruisers creep up on me....nothing. I think the Lithium Powered sticker on the back is good enough. I still have pedals for my nemesis hill so I'm thinking that the pedals add to the overall message sent by the sticker.
I'm at about 100miles. No trouble other than the burned out bulb -- replacement still isn't here but I'm riding less now that it is getting colder so no big deal.
Thanks for posting those pics of the front end. I can reach up and under the front to reach the headlamps but those amber fellas would have been challenging...anyway the pics gave me enough information for mounting some drop resistors to add led lighting..I was wondering how I was going to do that. Thanks.

Happy scoot.
Thom

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage