Need help identifying a GE motor

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
captsomer
Need help identifying a GE motor

I got a used motor from the scrap yard that came from a working fork lift. I need some help identifying it.

Heres what I can read from the data plate:
General Electric
Mod# 5BC49JB300D (that last digit might be an "0" I'm not sure)
HP 36 (I think that says "HP". The motor looks a bit small for 36 horse power but maybe I'm wrong)
Cushman PT 882295

It has a pulley attached to the output shaft that has two grooves in it for a belt drive.

I have not had time to tear it apart to look into it and I probably won't for a little while (work).
Is this a DC motor? What can I use it for? Brushless / Brushes? Where can I get specs on it? What voltage?

Anyone have any ideas?

strawhistle
Re: Need help identifying a GE motor

:) what kind and how many terminals (or wires )does this motor have?? have you tried to look the motor up on GE 's site ? what brand of fork lift ? check their site ?? maybe we can tell by the size and no. of wires ?? LaTeR

thank GOD I wake up above ground !!!!

reikiman
reikiman's picture

Putting 5BC49JB300D into google results in pages relevant to electric motors.

captsomer

I did some more checking on the computer. Its a 3.5 (that's three and a half) horse power. Not 35. I knew it was too good to be true. I didn't see that decimal point on that dirty data plate I guess...

I couldn't find data on the exact model number, but a similar one says its a series motor. It has several lugs on it. Some small ones and some large ones. I'll get it the garage and do some more checking and get back to you.

I don't know exactly what the motor came out of. A friend of mine at the yard pulled and held it for me. From what he told me, I think it came out of some kind of automated equipment mover kind of thing used for in plant deliveries. Supposedly, you put your payload on it, and it followed a wire buried in the floor and ran all by itself to whatever department you tell it to go to. Sounds kind of neat. They took out the motor for me and scraped the rest.

What's it worth on Ebay? I think it might be too small for anything I want to do. I have an Etek waiting to go into a small boat.

captsomer

I had some time to look at the motor again. It has two posts marked "S1". These are linked on the outside of the case by a metal bar. There are also another two posts marked "S2". These are also linked by a metal bar. There are two more posts, one marked "A1" and "A2".

Could someone give me some guidance about what these are and what they do. Also, how do I hook these up to get it to run? Are there good EV schematics on the net somewhere?

Thanks for fielding the rookie questions...

antiscab

gday,

what you have is a series wound motor (ie field is meant for full armature current).

s1 and s2 are the terminals for the field, a1 and a2 are the terminals for the armature.
just wire s1 negative, s2 to a1, a2 is positive.
wire s1 and a2 to your controller. if it spins the wrong direction, switch them round.

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

captsomer

Thanks for the help.

frodus
frodus's picture

remember that AC and DC motors are rated continuous... so thats 3hp continuous, not max. Max might be 3-4times that.

Travis Gintz
1986 Honda VFR Conversion
www.evfr.net

Who's online

There is currently 1 user online.

• israndy

Who's new

• janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07