Headlight Replacement on XM-2000 and or XM-3000

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Spaceangel
Headlight Replacement on XM-2000 and or XM-3000

I have a couple of Extreme scooters and headlight seem to give out. It has a double headlight system and I cant seem to get to wiring and or bulb replacement. I am new to V is for Voltage and having a hard time navigating this site. It is very intense. I replaced the DC-DC converter and throttle assembly and of course batteries even though original were good. There are a lot of and I mean a lot of bare wires on both bikes. I went to Extreme toyz in Lowell and got a new set of bulbs but they are reluctant to work on pure electric scooters. I removed all the screws I saw and blue cover is still on XM-3000. Even though a lot of wires are showing I still ride the scoot. In MA all MC must burn lights and don't want to get stopped again. Maybe it is a open wire bad socket or burnt out bulb but trying to get to wiring or bulb replacement is not in manual. I thought I saw articles on seat latch and head light replacement on V is for voltage and did a search but to no avail.
BTW there is a new law in Massachusetts creating a new category of scooters. Russell 518-929-2018

garygid
Re: Headlight Replacement on XM-2000 and or XM-3000

Is that your phone number, or the Mass. Bill number?

Usually (on the XM5000Li and 3500Li) one has to remove the front black plastic V-shaped trim piece to expose other screws.

Remove the "obvious" screws that hold the V-trim in place, and you can (probably) slide it forward about a half inch. Then, lift it out.

Cheers, Gary
XM-5000Li, wired for cell voltage measuring and logging.

Spaceangel

That did it! I would have never guess it hold head light cover on. None of the connectors were plugged in. NONE!
I got lights now and wow I am excited to be riding it again. I still have an intermittent cut out and it isn't the batteries or throttle assembly. It seem to die at red light give it the gas and lurch forward and dies. So I push it for a while try it again and get home carefully. CONTROLLER? or more bare wires on lots of different connectors?
PS I just use two screws on front behind light panel and one underneath. No more V trim underneath.
Rusty
518-929-2018

KB1UKU

tabloid

Hi Rusty - sorry to hear about your intermittent cutout problem. I wish I could help give you guidance on that issue, but it hasn't happened to me (yet!). Anyway.... I am also having troubles with the headlamps on my XM3000 and have also been fighting with access to them. Would you be kind enough to snap a few pictures of what/how you removed the "V" trim for access to the fixture? I was able to reach through after removing the dash area on the handlebar, but obviously there is hardly any room for an adult hand to reach through that tiny hole.

When my problem started, one of my bulbs was dim (similar to a lamp on a car that "lost it's ground"). I was able to reach the bulb as described above and found that the glass envelope of the bulb had broken loose from the base. I was going to remove the bulb to get a part number to order a replacement, but the lamp intensity suddenly jumped back to normal while I was wiggling the connectors. I decided to leave well enough alone for the time being and just ask for the part number here online and put everything back together, but now neither of the bulbs is lit! It's not a power supply problem, as all other bulbs are operating normally. I want to go back inside to re-check connections, as I'm sure I accidentally knocked one loose when I had my big fat hand inside there. It sounds like you've got a much better way of getting into this area for work.

Does anyone have the correct part number for these headlamp bulbs, since I know that I still need to replace one of them? The original appears to be a bayonette base bulb w/twin contacts, but the filament construction internal reminds me of a standard "H" series bulb that are used in automotive applications, such as a H1, H7, etc. Who carries these bulbs that I can purchase from?

(No longer) XM3K, Bank charging using Vector 2-4-6 smart chargers, Cycle Analyst
Official member of the "I laid it down and I felt stupid" club

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

See if a brake switch is sticking. A single screw holds it in place and it can get out of adjustment.

2008 XM3500li Mods/Kelly KBL12251/84v 28cell 40AH pack/ Variable regen brake trigger on left brake handle/Givi/Cycle Analyst/Homemade BMS

KMX Typhoon Home build (recumbent pedelec) with two Astro Brushless 3220motors/twin castle Phoenix ICEHV 160/ Cycl

Spaceangel

I went to our version of extreme toys in out town and they sold me a bulb for a 10 spot - 12Volt18/18W. I wish I could tell you if it was H4 or PD15D-25-1 but i don't know how to read Chinese! But it is Motoline Brand Don't use a brighter bulb- converter gets hot and smokes. The white plug in connectors do not stay connected even though it has a tab to lock in place. I twisted the brass terminals to get better connection on plugs.
Rusty

KB1UKU

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07

Support V is for Voltage