EVT 4000E controler upgrade

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jerome
EVT 4000E controler upgrade

Hello,

I'm seriously thinking to order a kelly controller KB72201 for my EVT (has 3000w brushed engine).
I'm looking for a decent controller and regen option is interesting. I'm planning to install later a 60V lifepo4 pack this is the reason I would prefer the 72v model (this one can work with any voltage between 24 and 72v)

Is it a good choice ? Does anyone did the same upgrade on its EVT?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Jerome

dermutt
Re: EVT 4000E controler upgrade

Sorry, can't really help with any advice about this.
It does sound like a nice idea though, and I'd be really interested to hear how it works out if you go for it...

I changed my bike to 60v (still using the standard cotroller) and was pleased with the performance improvement.
Was warned to be careful of overheating the motor, but haven't found that to be a problem - although apparently others have.
I guess that would be something you'd need to watch out for, but hopefully with the newer 3000W motor you'd be alright.

I also had the chance recently to ride a 4000e with one of the early Asian market 250A controllers. It was still running on 48v, and the motor appeared to be exactly the same as on my bike, but the performance was very good - significantly better than my bike running at 60v on the standard controller. So you might get a decent improvement with the Kelly controller at 48v, let alone 60v...

reikiman
reikiman's picture

I coulda sworn the EVT's used a 1500w motor, not 3000.

In any case something to pay attention to is the brushes will wear out faster at the higher voltage.

Jerome

Hello,

I changed my plans at final. I replaced my SLAs with 16 60AH Thundersky cells. The new range seems really fantastic : should be at least 70km maybe more ! (my commute is about 45km/day and the charger charge about 32AH after that)

I also ordered an alltrax axe controller and a magura throttle. Now I'm looking for some 9 pins connectors to replace the controler without having to modify EVT harnesses.
Does anyone know where I could find such connectors ?

Jerome

peter3L

Hi Jerome,

60Ah is quite inpressive. Can you give us some more details ?
How much does the package weights ?
How much did it cost ?
Did you order the cells directly in China ?
Do the Thundersky cells fit easily in the scooter ?
Do yo experience improvements in speed and acceleration as well ?

In my country is a supplier where you can purchase a 40 Ah EVT-size LiPo package for about $1660. The weight is 15 kg.
Sounds interesting too, but still quite expensive.

dermutt

Hi Jerome

Your project sounds great! - I'm really interested to hear how it works out.

I'm also curious about your new batteries...
Can't recall whether you have a 4000e or 168, but did they fit straight into the standard battery space?
Also, in addition to Peter's questions, I was wondering what type of BMS you are using?

Anyway, good luck with the next modifications, and please do continue to keep us updated.

Cheers,
Dermutt

Jerome

Well,

I ordered the cells to EV Components. Price was about 1300$ shipped + taxes.
Yes the cells fit in the battery box but there is not a lot of room available now.
I don't really care because I'm using a large top case.

The scooter is an EVT 4000e. Fitment of batteries was tricky but it's ok. Batteries weight is 40kg.
Performance is far better because voltage is increased and less weight of course. I think top speed is close to what I got before with 60v mod. I can overide many gaz mopped.

I don't use any BMS for now. I bought a RC 8S balancer-charger to balance the cells (turnigy accucel 8150). I also use celllogs 8s to monitor cells when driving. I will use an ecity power 48v 10A charger to charge the scooter and I will balance the pack using the small RC charger once a week. BMS isn't critical as I keep my cell balanced and don't use all the available range of batteries. Of course when a cheap good quality BMS will be available I will probably buy one.

I also upgrated tires (100/80x10 pirelli) and rear shock absorbers. Now I have to install the alltrax controller to increase range and top speed a little bit. I found the required connectors on ebay but unfortunately they won't ship outside the US.

If you have more questions just ask.

dermutt

Thanks for the info Jerome.

Bearing in mind the extra range, its impressive that the bike is almost as fast with 16 lithium cells (assuming that's around 51v?) as with 60v of lead.

You mentioned to begin with that you were considering using a Kelly controller and 60v.
Was there anything in particular that persuaded you to go for the Alltrax?

Do you think you'll be able to find a way to retain the EVT voltage indicator LEDs with the new set-up?

Cheers, Dermutt

Jerome

Alltrax is a proved controller and not much more expensive than kelly's. You can tune the controler easily from PC.

I will loose the led based indicator but these are not useful anymore with 16 cells. After 50km, all led are still on even when accelerating or climbing.
I will replace the led panel with a more accurate gauge maybe.

I didn't mesure top speed but there are very few situations when I would like to get more speed. With 60v mod maybe I was a little bit faster but not so much (and not so long !)

peter3L

Hi Jerome,

How do you fix the accelerator problem ? Most aftermarket controllers use a 0-5V or 0-5Kohm signal, but the EVT's have a classic throttle cable, which output is made electrical inside the controller.

Jerome

Hi Peter,

I will replace the EVT throttle with a Magura one.

peter3L

I'm not sure how it done on an EVT 4000, but at my 168 the throttle seems to be a integrated unit which also houses the brake, light and Power/Economic switch. I'm interested how you are going to fix the Magura throttle. Maybe you can post a picture ?

peter3L

I'm not sure how it done on an EVT 4000, but at my 168 the throttle seems to be a integrated unit which also houses the brake, light and Power/Economic switch. I'm interested how you are going to fix the Magura throttle. Maybe you can post a picture ?

Jerome

On the EVT 4000 I will probably have to remove light and P/E switches. The brake is separated fortunately. Light switch isn't really useful as I always switch lights on when driving.
I will need to add a new fitting to keep the right mirror.

peter3L

Hi Jerome,

Today I removed the front cover of my 2010 EVT 168. I was suprised to see the throttle cable ends there in a device that seems to contain a potentiometer: the throttle cable goes in, and three electric wires go out. Apparently you can use a genuine EVT part instead of the magura switch. This can save you a lot of modification work. I could post a picture if you like.

Jerome

Hi Peter,

that's an interesting finding. Unfortunately I alreay got the Magura but would be interesting to know more about the 2010 throttle.

Jerome

peter3L

These pictures show the front of the scooter with the front cover removed. The throttle cable is ending in a black square box (see yellow area). When I removed the rubber cover it shows a piece of electronics, probably a potentiometer, since I discovered 3 wires. I couldn't find my multimeter at once, so I didn't measure the resistance. Before taking the picture I placed a piece of cardboard behind the device to get a bit more contrast.

Frontcover.jpg

ThrottleSensor.jpg

Also interesting are the several unplugged connectors. What could be their purpose ?

Jerome

Hi,

alltrax controler was fitted during vacations. I used the magura throttle. I had to remove the light and P switches (lights are always on now but maybe I will try to relocate the switch later)
I limited controler current to 90A peak. Results are interesting : smoother than before when starting but after that it accelerates strongly to about 60km/h+ (I reached 65km/h once according to a GPS) Climbs very well too.

I'm pretty happy with my small EVT now.

Jerome

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Persival
  • boomingheight
  • janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57

Support V is for Voltage