Which way to turn handlebars when locking XB-600 bike.

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
hguido1
Which way to turn handlebars when locking XB-600 bike.

I swear I have always turned the handlebars to thee left then locked them with the key switch. That no longer works. If I turn them to the right and lock the key that works. I looked at the keyswitch lock today and I guess that is how it works. But I am wondering if something on the fork has moved. There is a piece of metal that the lock blocks when engaged if that piece has somehow moved then that would explain the change. It is attached to the fork that has two nuts on it. Is it possible it moved? Which way does everyone turn their handlebars to lock them ?

Thanks!

Buzzer
Buzzer's picture
Re: Which way to turn handlebars when locking XB-600 bike.

For me, as I'm sitting on the seat, I turn my handlebars all the way to the LEFT before locking them.

Buzzer

There are three kinds of people: Those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

hguido1

Thats what I use to do. Now it is to the right. Very weird! Not sure what happen.

marylandbob

Possibly someone was attempting to STEAL your bike, and forced the handlebars to the other side, thus changing the position of the locking plate relative to the bars?--Bob Curry

Robert M. Curry

mf70

The locking bar is exposed when the front fairing is removed. You could open it up and check. (Mine locks either straight ahead or to the left)

MF

hguido1

You lock straight ahead. Interesting. I did look at it. I doesn't appear that it will lock to the left anymore. It does lock to the right but you can still pull the handlebars almost straight when locked. I think this thing moved some how. THe ignition switch pushes out a piece of metal that blocks the rod from the handlebars that goes to the fork. I wonder if that rod from handlebars to the fork can spin a little. There is a nut attached to the rod from the forks just above the ignition lock. I haven't worried to much I just lock to the right now. I am not sure what but something changed inside. The piece of metal that pops out can't even get in the way anymore when turned to the left.

JamesS
JamesS's picture

Someone has tried to steal your scooter. If you check the metal piece welded to the steering you will find it bent or a weld cracked. This has happened twice to my XB and I always have to straighten the piece out. It should lock in either direction. When I fixed mine I made it lock very tight to the right and it is sloppy locking to the left.
I know in each case it was being stolen. Maintenance guy at the building I was at stopped them the first time, and the police recovered it the second time.
I now always cable lock to a pole when parked for any length of time.

Just be glad they didn't get away with your scooter, and buy a good cable lock. And I did install a motion, vibration alarm with remote to try and slow the SOB's that feel anything you have worked for should be theirs to own.

Please don't confuse the SOB's that feel anything you have worked for should be theirs, with the Federal or State government. By law they just take it!

Happy scooting,
JamesS

hguido1

JamesS,

Thanks for the info. I did look at the metal plate and it is bent down in one corner now. How did you repair yours? I tried to bend it up with some pliers but that didn't work. Maybe I should try some vise grips? Thanks Again.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Persival
  • boomingheight
  • janet
  • Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57

Support V is for Voltage