What Happen?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Board Moderator
Board Moderator's picture
What Happen?

We are currently working on providing our Members and Guest with as much information as to why the most recent problem occurred.
I can tell you, your Moderating Team were aware of the problem as soon as it started, and were in constant contact with each other, and our Webmaster until the problem was finally identified and resolved.
We have World Wide Moderators that provide you with as close as possible 24/7 coverage, all connected by live IM if needed. They were on it immediately and stayed with it until there was a resolution.
We're sorry for any inconvenience it might have cause you.

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: What Happen?

Gee, with that kind of intro I kinda have to explain this.

Starting sometime last night a one of the modules in the site started failing. It's not clear why it started failing, but coincidentally it's a module which I'd edited very recently to add a new feature (the "short link" choice at the bottom of postings). The code I added to this module was unrelated to the failure in the module, but coincidentally (or not) the module I edited did start failing shortly afterward. It's likely these are related, though the connection is mysterious.

In any case shortly before Noon today while diagnosing the problem, I found the errors that led to knowing what part of the site was failing, and I quickly got a fix.

- David Herron, http://davidherron.com/

echuckj5
echuckj5's picture

Thanks David,

I am sure a lot of us thought this site was going down.

Chuck

[b]AGM BATTERIES[/b]

Board Moderator

` :?
Well it seems it happen again, we're trying to get some additional details on the problem from our Webmaster, and we will keep you updated.
Our European Moderator seems to have noticed the problem first and notified us.

Regards,
Board Moderator

Moderators are community volunteers who help keep V is for Voltage Forums running smoothly, and provide forum support.

Cheers,
Board Moderator

Board Moderator

` :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
Nothing really new to report, our Webmaster is still diagnosing the problem, which seems to have occurred again based on a observations by our Moderating Team.
As soon as we know more, we'll pass it along to you. Right now it's more of a big inconvenience, rather than a major problem with the site.
The ship is still a float, and all hands are on Deck, the Captain is fully in charge of the V Ship, so don't panic and run for the life boats.
For the latest updates if site is temporally down, visit The V Refuge.
Come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell, we'll be looking for you.

64a0.jpg

Regards,
Board Moderator

Moderators are community volunteers who help keep V is for Voltage Forums running smoothly, and provide forum support.

Cheers,
Board Moderator

MB-1-E
MB-1-E's picture

Great Idea Board Moderator!

I think I'll bookmark that link so I'll know what's up should the site ever go down.

I'll have to say that I've never seen this approach in keeping the Community Members informed.
I like it!

Good Job V Team!!

Dave

MB-1-E
Electric - Bridgestone MB-1 Mountain Bike
Icon Photo of lighning striking Eiffel Tower Jun 3, 1902, taken by MG Loppe'

Dave B

MB-1-E
<a href="http://visforvoltage.org/book-page/996-mountain-bike-conversion-24v-3-4h... - Bridgestone MB-1 Mountain Bike</a>

Board Moderator

` :?
What exactly happen this time?
The problem was first reported by a member of our Moderator Team Sunday, 08/18/2007 3:20AM CST and was back online about 3 hours latter.
It seems this was the problem.

webmaster
Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:56 am
I just rebooted the system and it's running now. The failure was because

- I'm wanting to convert the server to run with PHP v5 rather than the PHP v4 it's currently running (it's supposed to give better performance and memory footprint, behavior that's badly needed)

- While compiling PHP5 on Friday it must have modified the webserver config to use PHP5 rather than PHP4

- Somehow last night the webserver process restarted and started failing on every page request.

- As soon as I edited the webserver config to use PHP4 again, the site started working again.

We also discovered we had misplaced the correct phone number to contact the Webmaster, so that accounts for the long delay getting back on line. That has now been corrected.
We apologize for any inconvenience this problem has caused both our Community Members and Guest.

Cheers,
Board Moderator

Moderators are your dedicated volunteer V Team members who help keep your V Forums running smoothly and provide you with Forum Support.

Cheers,
Board Moderator

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage