The MB-1-E Test Flight.
This morning I made the final connections from the controller to the motor using 6ga welding cable, got the throttle wired up and checked all connections throughout the system. Went over the mechanical one more time and disconnected the charger.
I tried it out while still on the kickstand and everything worked just fine, so I threw a couple of wrenches and my supertool in my pocket and headed down the road.
I was pretty excited but tried to stay in an objective mode so I could figure out if everything was working as it should be. No strange noises and no immediate overheating, so I gave it some juice and it took right off.
I looked down at my spedometer and it wasn't working, so I went around the block and noticed the magnet from the pickup was gone. I put another small magnet in it's place and took off again. I noticed that it cut out for a fraction of a second when I gave it full throttle quickly, but as soon as I backed off slightly and wound up a little slower it reached full speed quickly.
I think the cut-out is the controller doing what it is supposed to do as I tried to draw too many amps at once from a standstill.
It's a 100A controller and with the weight of the batteries and me, I could have easily been overdoing it. Once I was moving along, it gave no indication of cutting out and performed flawlessly.
I stopped and checked the temperature of the controller and the motor and felt all wires and nothing was hot. The motor was warm to touch but not so I couldn't leave my hand on it comfortably. The controller wasn't cool but not really warm either.
The wires were not warm at all.
I went around the block once more then headed down to a gravel road about a mile from my house. The bike handled the gravel fine then I headed down a dirt trail that went through the woods.
The trail came out to a small paved drive and a dog started barking and heading my way. I gave it a little throttle and was soon way ahead of the dog. The drive came out to the main highway and I went along the gravel sholder with ease. I looked down and noticed I was doing 23.2 mph and it handled fine.
Headed toward home and went around the block one more time. I checked my gas tank when I got home and it was at 12.56 Volts. The motor was a little warmer than before, but not unreasonably hot. My chain had stretched out slightly so I tightened it up a little (not too tight) and looked everything over. I hooked up the charger and came in to write this.
I'll be riding it again after I have some lunch and see how it handles a nearby hill. I've got a 10:1 ratio right now and have a feeling that I'll be putting my other sprocket on the rear hub sometime soon to see if the difference is worth the trade off in range. (I currently have a 60T sprocket there and have a 72 tooth to try later).
It's definately a lot of fun to ride!
It'll take a little while to get used to and gain the confidence to venture farther. I noticed that it's not too difficult to pedal the bike without the motor since I have a freewheel built into the chain drive sprocket. I need to get a volt meter hooked up but couldn't wait to try it out today.
So far, so good!