I worked on the MB-1-E today.
Replaced the 60 tooth hub sprocket with a 72 tooth.
Added a short chain section to make up the difference.
I also reset the controller to default settings.
The new ratio is now 12:1 (was 10:1).
Before the sprocket change I could get up to 20 mph but it took maybe 3/4 block to get up to speed and the bike was sluggish on any noticable hill.
It was getting close to getting dark when I finished up, so I thought I'd check it out on the back street where there was no traffic.
I flipped the switch to 24 volt and clipped the alligator clip (my temporary igniton key) on to the positive to fire up the controller.
I took off slowly to make sure everything was in order then goosed the throttle ...
... I almost did a wheelie (wheel never left the ground) but it really has some torque. I was up to 19 mph in 3 seconds.
I headed around the block and on a straight stretch (level roadway) I slowly went from 19 to 20 mph.
My batteries weren't fully charged, I rode about 6 miles earlier in the day. On a fresh charge I might be able to top 20.
Man, What a Difference!!
I think this bike will really take the hills now.
I didn't have a chance to try any yet but with the way it shot off the line I have little doubt.
What's amazing is that I didn't seem to loose any top end speed. This is definately what it needed.
I knew the change in ratio would make a difference but had no idea how much.