I went ahead and ordered my very own mongoose the other day. I think there is a pretty good chance I will return it after a test ride but at $300 I just had to give it a chance. There has been a lot of talk about this particular bike recently but I have more questions:
1. What is the nature of the 15mph limit? Is this merely what the motor can do without pedal power, or will it cut off at 15mph even if I do most of the work.
2. Where is the 15mph limit implemented? I figure it must be the controller, which is a part of the motor unit, right?
3. Does the gearing even allow for a rider to exceed 15mph at a reasonable cadence? If not, can this be modified - I am thinking about replacing the chainwheel, for example?
4. Is it a plug and play modification to replace the stock motor with a hi-torque Kollmorgen? How about the throttle - will it control a Kollmorgen or would that require extra tinkering? Would the above modification remove the aforementioned 15mph limit?
5. What is the quality of batteries and wiring in the mongoose? Can they be expected to deliver the +/- 24V 30A that a Kollmorgen reportedly pulls?
6. Has anyone else thought about bypassing the stock batteries and geting power from a rear rack or trailer?
Thanks for your help,