2011's Silicon Valley EAA EV Rally (39th annual) - pictures and electric cars galore

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
reikiman
reikiman's picture
2011's Silicon Valley EAA EV Rally (39th annual) - pictures and electric cars galore

Yesterday was the 39th annual Silicon Valley EAA EV Rally (http://eaasv.org/rally.html). I've been attending this event for 13 years or so, this was the first time when being able to bring a car to show. Always in the past I've brought electric bicycles or motorcycle. We had to push a bit to get the car ready to show, it looked awesome, and the show itself was awesome. Supposedly we had more people attending than last year - though to me it did not seem so. One new thing was the presence of commercially built modern electric cars, because both the Nissan LEAF and Chevy Volt started being shipped to customers since last years rally. A few instances of both cars showed up but as in previous years we had a nice mix of conversion electric cars, commercially made vehicles from 10+ years ago and (this year) newly made commercially built EV's.

A big difference over last year was the absence of electric bicycles and scooters. Always before we had several electric bicycle/scooter dealers show up. For example Neal Saiki (co-founder of Zero Motorcycles) used to attend this show while his company was still called Electricross (before it became Zero Motorcycles). Another frequent attendee in the past was Electric Motorsport. None of them showed up, which I believe may have been because of 350.org's Moving Planet thing which also occurred yesterday. I'd think electric bicycle/scooter dealers might have been called upon to show up at those events, which may have appeared more attractive than being at the EV rally where the scene is dominated by electric cars.

When I started coming 13 years ago - that was in the era when GM's EV1, Honda's EV+ and other electric cars were being built and leased to the public. In that era GM, Honda, etc tended to show up at this EV Rally. In the intervening years the large companies didn't come to it. Not even Tesla Motors whose headquarters are a short drive from where we hold the show. One year there was a presence by Vectrix but I think that was by the San Francisco dealer.

This year there were two dealers, one showing a Nissan LEAF, the other showing a Chevy Volt.

Other vendors included:-

EV Miata (http://evmiata.com/) - Lightning Motorcycles (http://lightningmotorcycle.com/) - Electric Motor Werks (http://emotorwerks.com/) - Kleen Speed (http://www.kleenspeed.com/) - Real Goods (http://realgoods.com/)

DSCN8078-web.jpg

DSCN8073-web.jpg

My car - it got a lot of attention. Read to the end for something special ..

DSCN8080-web.jpg

Ever wanted proof why solar panels aren't a good idea on electric cars. Here it is. The car underneath there is a Solectria Force. Solectria is now known as Azure Dynamics and concentrates on building AC drive train systems, but in the 90's they were doing EV conversions using gliders they got from the major car companies.

DSCN8084-web.jpg

A rather nice VW Bug conversion

DSCN8083-web.jpg

Battery pack made from 200AH thundersky cells

DSCN8086-web.jpg

Engine compartment - using a NetGain Warp9 motor.

The car's battery pack fills all the available cargo space in both rear seat and the truck (up front).

DSCN8088-web.jpg

My car got a lot of attention.

DSCN8092-web.jpg

An older BMW conversion

DSCN8091-web.jpg