Puch Condor III conversion

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
R
R's picture
Puch Condor III conversion

Hi!
Some years ago my brother and me decided to convert an old motorbike into electric.

Puch condor III.jpg

We removed the ancient oil burner and replaced it with an Etek, a 48v 400A alltrax, and 4 12v Lead batteries (the 4rth is inside the tail box).

The bike performs nicely, but we can't ride it on any road in Catalunya: It is not street legal. And we have no way to make it legal (real pity). We are only able to ride it during electric events and shows, using a special french plate designed for prototype testing. :-(
If the law changes and in the future it becomes legal, the first thing this bike will get will be a lithium battery!

You can read further details about this conversion here.
http://www.evalbum.com/1627

wookey
Re: Puch Condor III conversion

Why is it not possible to make the bike legal in Catalunya? Is this a general problem in Spain? Is the problem that any one-off vehicle is not allowed, or there is no class for electric vehicles of this power?

Wookey
Sakura s50 (Efun A)

R
R's picture

Why is it not possible to make the bike legal in Catalunya?

If you want to make it legal you have to pass a certified electromagnetic test to verify that the magnetic intensity of the engine is no hazardous. This single tests costs 2400 Euros, more than 3000 $.
If the test shows something wrong, you have to make modifications and pay another 2400 Euros.

There are many other tests required for making legal the conversion. When we add the cost of conversion and legalization, we find cheaper to buy a vectrix.
However, in UK and usa (i'm nut sure)the entire cost of legalization is around 50-100 dollars

medman1952

In California I don't think you would have any problem getting it registered. You would just have to provide all the proof of purchases for the parts you use and where they came from. You would also have to have it inspected by a law enforcement officer to certify it complied with motorcycle standards. Then a trip to the Department of Motor Vehicles to get you license. Total cost might be a little higher than $100.00 but certainly a lot less than the amount you are required to spend.

R
R's picture

oh 100+ bucks only... medman1952... How lucky californian people is....

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage