Vx-1 2010 and upgrades Wish list

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
RaDy
RaDy's picture
Vx-1 2010 and upgrades Wish list

I thought it would be intresting to make a "clear" wishlist for New Vectrix. Maybe like so many other companies, they will take it into account and improve the VX-1.
What better than 100´s of "Guinea Pig test drivers" with real comitment(have spent their money) to tell them what is needed!!

So here i start it simple and not too technical, so those of you who are more experienced in certain areas, please contribute in your higher level.

1. Lithium Batteries
2. BMS
3. Improved Baterry cooling
4. "No friction" EV brakes
5. Fuel Cell (Gasoline) (Would this still be so useful with Lithium Batteries?)
6. Seat spring replacement with a small thin "telescopic fork" capable of full opening.
7. Constant temp and Voltage display

Im sure im missing many and havent described each point sufficiently!
After all the possible inputs we can vote for all the options in every point and then have a "most voted" option in each section.
For example in section 1. it could be a)LiFePO4, b)LiCoO2 , c)Li4Ti5O12 etc..
RaDy

RaDy
RaDy's picture
Re: Vx-1 2010 and upgrades Wish list

i meant
For example in section 1 it could be
a)Li-ion/Manganese
b)Li-ion/Phosphate
c)Li-ion/Cobalt
etc.. etc..

procrastination inc
procrastination inc's picture

better windscreen design to reduce wind noise
taller riders seat
recumbent streamliner version for us highway commuters

raytheham
raytheham's picture

My major upgrade request would be to fit a decent headlight. The 35/35 watts is totally inadequate in country lanes. Where there is street light its fine...you can be seen. My current solution is a HID torch clamped to the side fairing with high strength suction clamp. The battery in the torch only lasts 40 mins( I only need 20 mins) continuous use but by gum its bright and really shows the road edges. Double the range and lift the speed limiter to 70 mph for occassional overtaking bursts.
Thats all I need.
Regards
Ray

Ray

marylandbob

As an owner of a VECTRIX, I feel that the past few months demonstrate WHY any manufacturer of highway rated vehicles should be REQUIRED to provide comprehensive service manuals and parts information, plus any required SOFTWARE to maintain btheir vehicles! Failing to do so increases the likly hood of malfunction due to servicing problems, or inability to properly service the vehicle. Nothing guarantees that the "Dealer/factory service center" will always be available for any item, therefore it should be MANDATORY that service materials be available to others! (I vhave a HONDA Goldwing motorcycle, amd had no problem purchasing the large HONDA serviceb manual from them, and they also sell any and all parts and special tools needed to service their vehicles) This allows any skilled facility/person to properly and safely service the vehicle, and maintain reliable, safe operation.-Perhaps a FEDERAL LAW is needed to get VECTRIX to provide this??? --As far as improvements, I would like to see the following: 1:-A longer range battery, at least 1.5 times present range, and a more ACCURATE and PREDICTABLE indication of such range, with battery status, such as vltage and amperage, readily viewable at any time. 2:--Modify the electrical configurastion, so that an AUXILLARY battery, perhaps 20 Amper-hour or more, is charged via D.C.-D.C. converter from the main battery, and used to power lighting, accessories, ignition switch (13 volt ignition is much safer/less bothered by water than 125 volt), alarm, radio,etc.-This would allow operation of higher current accessories, like heated gloves/clothing and extra lights/radio, for at least one hour, with minimal effect on milage. (Hazard lighting should also be powered via this battery, so the warning lights would operate if main power was depleted or motor circuit malfunctioned) There should be a voltmeter/warning indicator for the auxillary battery as well as the main battery. 3:--Fuses should be provided, with easier access, and an auxillary charging connection, fused and diode protected, should be provided, to enable battery charging from alternate chargers/sources. (such asd a 240 volt powered FAST CHARGER) 4:--Larger rim/tire, especially in the rear, for better tire availability/selection and tire life. 5:--Consideration should be given to utilizing variable gear ratios, perhaps different settings for 0-40 mph and 40mph and above, with possibility of time-limited 70 mph top speed (30 second resettable timer?)-Present 62 mph is OK, but occasionally, a short burst of greater speed would be nice to have! 6:--LOUDER/BRIGHTER and better turn signal indicator/warning, and/or SELF CANCELLING feature for turn signals. Present warning often delays too long, and is hard to hear over traffic and wind. 7:-User selectable high or low A.C. current demand charge setting, to enable SLOW charging from a power source of limited ability, such as a 120 volt outlet with only 5 or 6 amperes to spare. (Present arrangement will often trip circuit breakers if something else is using the same circuit, and Vectrix charging is attempted) 7:--Inrush current limiting should be "Built-In", to enable easier/safer servicing. This would enable service persons to easily disconnect and re-connect the batteries for testing/service in the field.---In short, give us more real, useable range, a little better performance, more options, ability to do "self service" or alternate source service, And the ability to do a limited amount of adding lights/accessories without screwing up the controller! (The present 400 milliampere acessory power limit is way too low!--10 amperes(for one hour minimum) is much better, to enable electric gloves, radio, etc.)--I am using a LiFePO4 battery, rated at 20 ampere-hours, to power my radio and acessories on my Vectrix-now I can use my electric gloves, and listen to XM satellite radio!-The chrge lasts longer than the motor battery normally does!--Bob

Robert M. Curry

berndoz

- a parking break, for hilly areas like Brisbane
- centre stand

myvectrix2008
myvectrix2008's picture

For me it would have to be:

• A newer battery technology
  • An optional fast charger like the Tesla roadster
  • Improved glove box fit
  • An option to upgrade to a Xenon headlight
  • Centre stand as standard
  • Wider wind-shield as standard
  • A hazard light flick switch opposite the indicator switch on the other side
  • Battery temperature/voltage display when riding
moccasin
moccasin's picture

I absolutely love my Vectrix, and it is already perfect for my needs. My wish list for future bikes is very short:

1.) Replace the main fuse with a self resetting circuit breaker.

2.) Inrush Current Limiter should be built into the circuit.

3.) Replace the charge cord with an external, weather resistant, recessed charge "port", and just include an auxilary cord under the seat.

Victrix

Many good ideas here, and New Vectrix should make all of them retro-fittable into existing bikes!

Wildfire

Certainly lots of good ideas, but looks like I'm in the minority of folks happy with their current battery setup. Certainly, better design to ensure battery longevity would be good (cooling, load balancing, etc.) as would lithium-based batteries (more for the weight savings they could provide which would hopefully equate to a longer range), but I'm 100% satisfied with my 17-miles-to-halfway results. I'd second the requests for: improved lighting (not everyone lives in a city), battery safety disconnect (should be required in EVs), toggle switch for high-speed/high-accel bursts if batt conditions allow (lots of sportbikes have rain vs. econ vs. sport settings these days) and more user-adjustable settings (I could understand warranty claims for letting people adjust battery operating conditions via firmware, but let us "overclock" our scoots just a little..).

Coming from the motorcycle world, I've also got to say that the brakes and suspension could use a bit of work.. Vectrix might have gone with top-name components, but these certainly weren't top-bin parts.. The Brembo brakes on my Futura (a bike which weighs slightly less?), for example, are much beefier and provide much better feel. Regen braking is all well and good, but given all the limitations on its use (not at full charge, not when batt hot, etc.), I'd say that when you need brakes you --need-- brakes..

moccasin
moccasin's picture

looks like I'm in the minority of folks happy with their current battery setup

I'm in there with ya. Lithium will come at a premium price and will only benefit those who need more range than the bike was designed for on a bike that is already considered too expensive. If you did your homework and bought the bike because it fits your needs, Lithium would have just added more cost.

Battery safety disconnect, or "Big Red Button" as it is referred to on the Sparrow/NMG is definately a plus, but WOULD require an ICL be incorporated into the system.

As for Regen brakes, I used them all the time, regardless of conditions. The charger shuts down before maximum voltage is reached, so there's plenty of room for out-of-the-gate regen braking, and batteries typically perform better when they are not stone cold anyway.

R
R's picture

Maybe New Vectrix Should post a questionnaire in Visforvoltge... It may help to take correct decisions and avoid making the previous mistakes...

My wish list includes a very crucial component: an analogue amperimeter with a very visible nail. It will help all vectrix riders to know how much energy they waste in every acceleration, and help them drive more efficiently! ;-)

jmap
jmap's picture

But what new Vectrix are we talking about? Is there any real chance to happen in 2010?

mikemitbike
mikemitbike's picture

I put this to this thread, as I can´t find the "firmware upgrade wishlist" ;-)

Greetings Mike

I sent this to MIK, it addresses what I have experienced as the main shortcomings of my vectrix.

09/16/2010 - 12:03 Yes,If I were to re-engineer my existing Vectrix, I would install a properly managed LITHIUM battery, of at least 60 ah capacity, and modify the charger to allow user selection of charging amperage(At least THREE optional charge settings). This would allow SLOW charging from power sources with limited amperes available, or in cases when plenty of time was available, to be easier on the battery. Higher amperage charging could be selected, if heavy-duty AC power is available,(200-260 volts) to charge in less than 2 hours. The headlight and horn would be replaced with more powerful units, operable from their own, 20 ah lithium battery, kept charged via current-limited DC-DC conversion, from the main battery and charger-this would allow use of lighting and accessories that draw intermittent high amperage, without overloading the DC-DC converter, and provide power for emergency lights/flashers/accessories after main battery failure/fuse outage/etc.(I have this on my Vectrix, along with a nice "XM Satellite radio")The turn signals should be automatic cancelling, and/or have brighter/louder warning indicators. Voltmeter/Ammeter for both batteries should be standard, as should a full-time main battery temperature/amperage display. User selectable starting torque/amperage settings would be nice,with a "DRY PAVEMENT" setting allowingmore rapid takeoff, and a "WET/SLIPPERY PAVEMENT" setting, similar to the present setting,for economy and/or hazardous riding conditions. Mirrors should be replaced with units showing a WIDER VIEW. Owners and SERVICE manuals should be readily available.--These changes could transform the present bike into a truly GREAT Scooter!---Bob Curry

mrottinger

Currently, when the motor controller overheats, it immediately restricts your speed to a crawl. You can quickly turn the bike off and back on while coasting to temporarily restore power. This is dangerous. I would appreciate at least a few seconds of warning.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage