Licensing a self-built project with DMV

1 reply [Last post]
Joined: 01/19/2007
Points: 149

Has anyone encountered any resistance form the DMV of getting a selfbuilt project (motorcycle or vespa-type scooter) street legal?

I am following the KZ750 project with great interest and maybe would whip something similar together....

Thanks to all!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Gman's picture
Joined: 11/20/2006
Points: 1720
Re: Licensing a self-built project with DMV

Hi GrooveConnection,
Where will you attempt to license it?
According to the Global EV Map, your located in CA?

Registration Requirements for Home-Made, Specially Constructed, or Kit Vehicles

A "home-made, specially constructed, or kit vehicle" is a vehicle that is built for private use, not for resale, and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer. These vehicles may be built from a kit, new or used parts, a combination of new and used parts, or a vehicle reported for dismantling (junked) that, when reconstructed, does not resemble the original make of the vehicle that was dismantled.

A specially constructed vehicle (SPCNS) does not include a vehicle that has been repaired or restored to its original design by replacing parts or a vehicle modified from its original design.

Example: A Volkswagen "Beetle" with modified fenders, engine compartment lid, and front end, but still recognizable as a Volkswagen is not considered a specially constructed vehicle.

NOTE: The registration requirements for kit commercial vehicles are the same as for specially constructed vehicles.

The Registration Requirements are:

* A completed Application for Title or Registration Registration (REG 343).
* A vehicle verification done by the California Highway Patrol (CHP). You must start your application process with the DMV prior to contacting the CHP for a vehicle verification. DMV verifies trailers with an unladen weight of 6,000 pounds or less.
* A completed Statement of Construction (REG 5036).
* Proof of ownership, such as invoices, receipts, manufacturers? certificates of origin, bills of sale, or junk receipts for the major component parts (engine, frame, transmission, and body).

NOTE: A motor vehicle bond is required when proof of ownership cannot be obtained for parts valued a $5,000 or more.
* Official brake and light adjustment certificates. When an official brake and light station that inspects specific vehicles such as motorcycles and large commercial vehicles is not located within a reasonable distance, DMV will accept a Statement of Facts (REG 256) from a repair shop attesting that the brakes and lights are in proper working order. Brake and light certificates are not required for off-highway vehicles or trailers weighing less than 3,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.
* A weight certificate for commercial vehicles weighing 10,000 pounds or less.
* An emission control inspection (smog check) by a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee Station. For information on SPCNS Certificates of Sequence click here. To make an appointment at a BAR Referee Station, call 1-800-622-7733.
* All fees due.
* Visit your local DMVto begin the application process, make an appointment for faster service

Peace Out, peace_out.jpg

GrooveConnection, now that we have clarified our beliefs, your invited to join us as we begin building on them to define our Community Mission Statement.


Peace Out,

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.


High Voltage: The Fast Track to Plug In the Auto Industry A behind-the-scenes look at the robustly competitive race to dominate the market for electric cars.
Revenge of the Electric Car The electric car is not only back from the dead, it's inevitable
Who Killed the Electric Car? Essential documentary explaining what happened the last time electric cars were killed

Who's new

  • ayon69
  • headrc
  • smokeydawson
  • MarieGreer
  • slacy

Customize This