30 posts / 0 new
Last post
turok
turok's picture
got a can adapter

Hi all

I just got myself a can bus adapter.

I don't know how to use it yet, but i'm confident I'll find out

I already have some firmware files, and a usb driver for the adapter.

I guess I just need the scooterdiag soft, right?

If someone is willing to share it with me, plz pm me.
Or if someone can point me to a download link?

Btw, is there anything I should know before I do anything?

Thx

turok

turok
turok's picture
Re: got a can adapter

hi,

Thanks, (anonymous) !

I'll be testing this evening :-)

"doing nothin = doing nothing wrong" is invalid when the subject is environment

oley

Hello Turok,

did you successfully launch the scooterdiag software ?
does it connect to your canbus adapter correctly ?

Regards

turok
turok's picture

Hi,

I've messed up a bit, you're free to make jokes at my account:-)

Yesterday evening, when I got home, I had maybe like an hour to play with it before I had to leave somewhere.

I installed the Usb driver for the can-bus adapter, connected it to the bike/laptop, and started the scooterdiag.
So far so good, I saw data coming in from the bike.

That went so easy, that I couldn't resist trying to install the two hex files MC1017 and CHARGER_013108DEV.

But I've been to quick, I installed the charger first while the MC should come first. I remembered it while it was already running :-S
Now, the MC does not want to install any more. (scooterdiag asks for a file I don't have, "CLEAR_(something).HEX")

Then I ran out of time, I had to go.

I was already sweating, because I heard a faulty install could be desastrous, but when I started the Vectrix again, it still ran (PHEW!)

but not without some glitches:

- first startup after disconnecting the laptop, the bike started its fans and temp warnings were flashing on the instrument panel. after a second startup, it went away.
- I checked the voltage/temp (133v - 14°C - 9 bars left - est range 47km), and went off for a 15 km drive. When I arrived, I still had 9 bars left and still 47 est range, voltage was at 127.
- Then I had to plug in to charge, and tried to set a delay (left brake - 3.5H), but it didn't work. It started charging immediately.
- this morning bars were at 13, but voltage was only at 140 (usually at 143-145)

I guess I'll have to install older charger firmware again (just any?), and then try again.. ?
but I decided to ask you experts first :-) before I kill the bike any further :-)

turok
turok's picture

Would it be a good idea to try to install

-MC1014B
-and CHARGER-V2012-032708 ?

do they belong together?

R
R's picture

I suggest MC1017 and BC3001. You don't have runkie charger...

turok
turok's picture

But what if I can't install the MC1017?

Or maybe I should only try to install BC3001?

Mik
Mik's picture

I'd try to work out (by asking or searching/reading) what the recommended order for installing the various software parts is. I assume that has always been the same order and still is.

Next, locate/obtain a complete set of software parts that are known to be compatible with each other, then install them in the correct order.

Never start software updates/changes when you have no time to continue until the end....do not turn the scooter off if the process/software/laptop crashes or hangs. I have no idea what else to do (apart from going on the web and ask for urgent advice!), but if anything goes wrong, leave the scooter turned on until you get better advice!

Good luck!

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

turok
turok's picture

Thanks Mik :-)

messing up the correct order was my mistake. No, being in a hurry was :-)

apart from that, it should be simple enough though.

Unless someone stops me before this evening, I'll try the files R said..

turok
turok's picture

Ok, here's the situation now..

I succesfully reinstalled the older BCR3001.HEX. (thanks for the tip R)

The scooter still runs (PHEW again), and some features seem to work again.

-the charge delay works again
-the bars were at 1 (about as expected @ 126V?) together with 6km range

after that I tried to do a discharge to the red light (since I was already at 126V)
but in 6 or 7 kms I didn't manage to make the last bar dissapear, and the range varied between 3 and 6 km left.

I checked the voltage regularly in the process, and have seen 120 V, but no red light (I thought it would be triggered at 121V??)

so I'm not sure everything is ok yet.

Then, since I had reinstalled the old file "succesfully" I decided to try to upload the newer firmware files, but scooterdiag keeps prompting for CLR_24.HEX when I try to send the MC1017 file.
I also tried another copy of the file (from another source), same problem.

I quit (or pause) at this point, and I'm already happy the V still runs...

but any ideas anyone?

Oley, did you already try to install the files I sent you? did it work for you?

Turok

antiscab

those missing .dll files are an error that comes with trying to update the MC firmware to *any* version.

The files are there, you just have to tell the program exactly where.

they will be in the folder (use the search command) or PM your email address and I'll email them to you.

Note: If the MC and BCR firmware revisions don't match, the fuel guage will cease to work, and you won't able to charge.

go to BCR3001 and MC1017 (if you want the 68mph version email me)

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

antiscab

after that I tried to do a discharge to the red light (since I was already at 126V)
but in 6 or 7 kms I didn't manage to make the last bar dissapear, and the range varied between 3 and 6 km left.

I checked the voltage regularly in the process, and have seen 120 V, but no red light (I thought it would be triggered at 121V??)

Thats because the latest charger firmware to match with MC1014b is BCR2012.

with MC1014b, the definition of fuel guage reset is different.
red light comes on whenever the MC goes into battery low voltage limit,
*but* fuel guage reset does not occur unless that voltage is held low for quite some time.

in the new software, red battery light comes on at the same time as fuel guage reset.
the fuel guage does not count down with mismatched firmware

btw, what version of software are you running? (1.2? 2.0? 2.1?)

Matt

Daily Ride:

turok
turok's picture

Thanks Matt..

AHA!
that explains most of it!

scooterdiag is v2.1
btw, is there a manual to this software? (like for the dealers?), I looked for it on the vectrix service website, but didn't find it..
I'd also like to learn how to force the 30AH charge and what of some of the other features mean/can do.

turok
turok's picture

Yes!

did it! (and tested the V at 110 kph, feels good!)

once you have ALL the files, it's simple :-)

thanks all for your support!

mikemitbike
mikemitbike's picture

btw, is there a manual to this software? (like for the dealers?), I looked for it on the vectrix service website, but didn't find it..
I'd also like to learn how to force the 30AH charge and what of some of the other features mean/can do.

Hi Turok, I´m afraid it seems to bee learning by doing...
to force the Battery capacity to 30 Ah: In the register-card MC/Charger there is the button, left lower part of the screen.
I never tried it... An other possibility is to restart the battery capacity measurement. It was done on my scooter. The Av
battery capacity value in the register-card Summary is deleted and set back to 30 Ah. The scooter tries to push 30 Ah into the
battery and measures how much is used after the next battery red-light event.

Greetings Mike

X Vectrix

turok
Your best bet is to use the "restart batt..capp.." routine. But you must follow an exact procedure after invoking this.
First, run the battery down till the red icon illuminates. It doesnt matter what the initial charge is.
Second, allow the battery to fully charge. Its best to set a long delay prior to charge.
When the charge is complete, insure that the gauge is reading 250 or greater using the diags. If it isnt, set it to 255.
Third, do a full continuous discharge till the icon illuminates again.
At his point the SW has measured the capacity of the pack and will adjust the charging parameters as well as calibrate the fuel gauge to the measured capacity.

oley

Hi Turok,

I've updated the motor controler firmware with MC1017-64. The V speed limit is now 110km/h.
But I didn't try the CHARGER firmware yet, because I'm not sure where it must be use in scooterdiag !

If I understand well, the fuel gauge will not work properly until I update the charger firmware ?

Oley

turok
turok's picture

But I didn't try the CHARGER firmware yet, because I'm not sure where it must be use in scooterdiag !

If I understand well, the fuel gauge will not work properly until I update the charger firmware ?

Oley

it goes in the "battery charger" , the box just above "motor controller"

I never tried the MC1017 without the BCR3001 (I did it the other way around) so I don't know what would be the effect.

@ X-vectrix,

thanks, I will try that.

after reading it a few more times to be sure

:-) :-)

Mik
Mik's picture

turok
Your best bet is to use the "restart batt..capp.." routine. But you must follow an exact procedure after invoking this.
First, run the battery down till the red icon illuminates. It doesnt matter what the initial charge is.
Second, allow the battery to fully charge. Its best to set a long delay prior to charge.
When the charge is complete, insure that the gauge is reading 250 or greater using the diags. If it isnt, set it to 255.
At his point the SW has measured the capacity of the pack and will adjust the charging parameters as well as calibrate the fuel gauge to the measured capacity.

Will this procedure work when there are large capacity differences between cells? My cells ranged from 16Ah to 26Ah when tested about 2 years ago, I don't think this has changed much.

My biggest concern is that the software might force 30Ah into the battery at 1500W and damage the weak cells in the process.

Is there a way to "cheat" during the batt cap routine, so that the new capacity is set to the capacity of the weakest cell, instead to the capacity of the majority of cells?

Thanks, Mik

X Vectrix

Mik
The routine does adjust for the weakest cell, not the average. So yes it will work, but the important thing to remember is that if this is the first time or if the capacity is very low, the gauge may not register full after the charge. So it would be critical to set the gauge to full after charging. The SW looks for this flag before performing the measurement. If you know the capacity of your pack there is a way to just configure the MC with this value. Let me know if you would prefer this method. It does require the newest firmware though ( I know you dont want the new firmware ;) )

mikemitbike
mikemitbike's picture

....If you know the capacity of your pack there is a way to just configure the MC with this value. Let me know if you would prefer this method. It does require the newest firmware though ...

Hi X Vectrix, I´m highly interested in this method. I revised my battery last spring/early summer, and therefore
know the capacity of the weakest of the twelve battery modules. I have at least the software enabling the precharge cooling and checking temp. and Voltage via the kill-switch.

Greetings Mike

Mik
Mik's picture

Mik
The routine does adjust for the weakest cell, not the average. So yes it will work, but the important thing to remember is that if this is the first time or if the capacity is very low, the gauge may not register full after the charge. So it would be critical to set the gauge to full after charging. The SW looks for this flag before performing the measurement. If you know the capacity of your pack there is a way to just configure the MC with this value. Let me know if you would prefer this method. It does require the newest firmware though ( I know you dont want the new firmware ;) )

Hi X Vectrix, thanks for the offer, I would indeed prefer to set the capacity manually. The weakest cell has increased self-discharge rate in addition to reduced capacity, so re-adjustments will probably be needed from time to time.

With reduced capacity programmed, will the software continue to do top-balancing but limit the discharge?

Will the entire 17-segment fuel gauge represent the reduced capacity?

X Vectrix

Mik
Yes it will top balance still. The gauge will be scaled to whatever you set it to and the charge will be scaled also. This should minimize the heating of the weakest cell. All the discharge protection is still active.

antiscab

Hi X Vectrix,

I would be interested in finding out how to set the battery capacity manually,

cheers,
Matt

Daily Ride:

oley

Hi,

I just try to update the Charger firmware and ScooterDiag fail to process the upgrade.
The error code is something like: Unable to connect to programm address ....

The canbus adapter is correctly connected as I can see all diag value on the software GUI.

Before trying the update, I try to read my battery level in the Charger tab.
Perhaps the charger is in an incorrect state to be updated ?!

turok
turok's picture

maybe you have a different charger??

oley

I don't think it's a runkie charger. I've checked like Dana said and it seems to be an ESD charger.

duca

turok

Is there any way to re-program the charger to 40AH in case of conversion to TS40 LiPo batteries?

turok
turok's picture

Is there any way to re-program the charger to 40AH in case of conversion to TS40 LiPo batteries?

I saw the possibility in scooterdiag to "force charge to..." and a blank space behind it, but in the version 2.1 I have, I can not fill it in.

Vectrix99
Newest firmware - anyone?

Hi, interesting discussion.
I am also trying to get hold on the 110 software, but with Runke Charger. I do have the Scooterdiag 2.0 and 2.1. Motor controller is new type, replaced spring 2010. Charger is also replaced, Runke, mounted september 2010. I believe serial no is of some importance, it is 1004218.
Can anyone advice what kind of firmware would be the right one? Would really appreciate if it could be provided to.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage