Where to get controller for XM 4000li?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
celticmodes
Where to get controller for XM 4000li?

GreenMax sent me the wrong one. It's been months of troubleshooting because of it and now they want me to pay for the right one.

Is there another company I can get a replacement controller from?

PzlPete
Re: Where to get controller for XM 4000li?

Xtreme has been very good about replacing things under warranty on my 4000li. I have owned it since January. How old is your 4000li and what happened to the controller????

celticmodes

The original controller died the first day out. It was replaced but with the wrong controller (one for xm5000li). A few months of diagnostics to figure why the bike always appeared to be under powered. Even replaced some batteries. I figured it out and asked them to send the correct one and I'd ship this one back. They refused.

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

Hi Celtics, I've been away from V for awhile. Sorry you're having troubles. I replaced the controller for my XM-3500 with a Kelly KBL225H1 it's good from 24 to 120v and is variable regen capable, also programmable. I like it and the regen brakes are nice since the XM brakes are so-so. I've prepared a list of the latest problems to pop up with my XM.
1. The brackets that hold the rear fender broke and I had to repair it by drilling a couple holes on each side and running zip ties up over the frame tubes and pulling them tight.

2. My ignition switch shorted out and is now useless. The (semi) easy fix for this is, take the nose piece off so you can get to the switch. Then disconnect the switch at the nearest connector and push the end that doesn't go to the switch down where you can reach it. If you connect those two wires the bike is now live. You could attach a toggle switch or whatever you like. That's you're new ignition switch. (On switch really I guess)

3. Left headlight about half brightness of right headlight. (Probably a faulty connection I'll have to track down)

4. Bike begins to wobble out of control if you take your hands off the handlebars.

5. Left bike for 8 months in Florida to come back to a dead pack. All cells need to be replaced. OUCH!

I still love the electric ride but feel like I was an unwitting guinea pig.
Product not quite ready for prime time. I have two XM-3500s one 5012km and one with 4289km.
One thing I don't quite understand, the 5000 controller should actually work better for you I would think. It's just putting out more wattage. I am very much an amateur, maybe some more knowledgeable will comment. Sorry you are having a bad time, they are really fun when they are not acting up. Oh, one more thing, When you do get going, check the voltage on the farthest forward cell on the left (where the main + hooks up) I was recently riding and noticed my range was dropping off too fast. I smelled the smell of toasting LIPO4 on the way home. When I got home I checked the voltage on that cell and it was 0v. I moved the main + over to the next cell and added a cell at the other end. (taking the bad cell out of the loop but not removing it as it is a major pain to do) So I guess that should be #6, I've seen where other people had this problem, that's why I say to watch for it. Well good luck, you'll be an EV tech in no time!

You're not alone- Bill

2008 XM3500li Mods/Kelly KBL12251/84v 28cell 40AH pack/ Variable regen brake trigger on left brake handle/Givi/Cycle Analyst/Homemade BMS

KMX Typhoon Home build (recumbent pedelec) with two Astro Brushless 3220motors/twin castle Phoenix ICEHV 160/ Cycl

celticmodes

I'm definitely the wrong person to own a not ready for prime time bike. I think it's not the voltage but the amperage. The 5000 controller expects more amps and when it doesn't get it, it sends signals to the meter saying it's low. When I first turned the machine on after charging it, the battery meter looked almost full. As soon as I engaged the throttle, the needle went down below Low and the red light started flashing. The needle then doesn't go above the 1/2 way mark and the light always flashes.

JGNORTHERN

I am a dealer for x-Treme Scooters. You have to buy a controller that fits the 4000li amps and volts.

However, the problem that you are describing could be that you have some dead cells in your bike. I would have your batteries charged and then put a load on them to see if they all are good. If not, then see if you are still under warranty. Battery warranty is for 1 year.

Where are you located?

Jen
GreenExtremeScooters.com
425-2701351

GREEN EXTREME SCOOTERS
425-270-1351

celticmodes

We did the load test first thinking that was it. We ended up replacing 2 batteries that had questionable readings. I now have all batteries hooked into a board for easier testing at anytime so I can monitor their performance. They said the list price was $500 for the replacement XM4000 controller. That seems about twice as expensive as an XM3000 controller.

PzlPete

Dear Jen from Green Extreme Scooters,

1 year battery warranty on a 4000li ??????

Everything I have ever read says that I have a 2 year warranty on the batteries for my 4000li. Am I missing something?

JasonTaylor
JasonTaylor's picture

"Am I missing something?" On the contrary, you got an extra year!

Jason Taylor. Fresh rant each day @ http://twitter.com/jasontaylor7

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

You could get a kelly controller for less than that that would be regen ready and programable.

http://kellycontroller.com/72v-brushless-kblkhb-controllers-c-23_46.html

I would recommend the 72201, it's 200amps ($399), the next up is 300amp(better). The 150A $339 might be a little weak.
I could help talk you through installation and even rigging variable regen braking if you like. I'm not 100% sure on this, would help to know the specs on the original. I'm surprised they won't just exchange them. I heard the 4000s are regen capable. Anyone know about this?

Bill

2008 XM3500li Mods/Kelly KBL12251/84v 28cell 40AH pack/ Variable regen brake trigger on left brake handle/Givi/Cycle Analyst/Homemade BMS

KMX Typhoon Home build (recumbent pedelec) with two Astro Brushless 3220motors/twin castle Phoenix ICEHV 160/ Cycl

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

This is the controller I used on my XM3500s. I also got a 0v~5v thumb throttle and mounted it upside down on the left mirror post so you can work it with your left index finger while keeping your other three fingers on the disc brake (left side) I just pull lightly on the right handle then work the thumb (finger) throttle with my index, it's awesome! My cycle analyst is showing up to 15% return from regen in neighborhood driving. About 7% average for longer trips with less braking. As I have stated many times I have had many problems with my scooter but still love it. They will get much better in the near future, the technology is all there, it just needs to become cheaper. I would keep insisting that extreme send you the proper controller. I have run my 3500 W/24 cells=48mph 28/cells=54mph. But it's pretty flat where I live, you might burn something up on a long hill, but so far I've been ok.

Bill-

http://kellycontroller.com/kbl12251h24-120v250abldc-controllerwith-regen-p-198.htmlBill 007.jpgDSC01305.JPGDSC01222.JPGDSC01310.JPG

tdnevmo

If you want new original controller, you can write to mountainchen gmail.com. It is erider.cn.

xm4000-li

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage