Can't Someone Build a Travel Charger for Multiple Brands?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
LeftieBiker
Can't Someone Build a Travel Charger for Multiple Brands?

I really like the little 4 amp charger on my X-Treme XM-3000. It's compact but solid and reliable. I can easily carry it under the seat if I want, with room for other stuff, and if I have to replace it, new ones are only about $150. The chargers for my Lepton (still for sale!) and ZEV are another matter. While much more sophisticated than the XM charger, they are both kind of large. While they fit under the seats of their respective scooters, they are bulky and expensive. Wouldn't it be great if some enterprising manufacturer would build a charger that was small, rugged, reasonably priced and with either multiple selectable voltages or at least multiple versions in 48, 60 and 72 volts? It wouldn't have to be as "smart" as the main chargers, just smart enough to bulk charge up to 80% or so and then either shut off or go into float mode. No desulphation cycles, display screens (just a couple of LEDs) or anything else that drives up the price and size, except maybe a built-in surge protector. It could use the PC power supply cords and plugs that many brands now use, with adapters available for other plug types. There is going to be a real need for something like this for partial recharges while on the road away from home. As for public charging stations, there is exactly one in my whole tri-city area. I just started the process of shutting down a Meetup group for EV owners and people who want to offer informal recharging "stations" because there was zero interest, so we need something to make us more self-sufficient on longer trips, without having to carry our one and only large, expensive charger with us...

robert93
robert93's picture
Re: Can't Someone Build a Travel Charger for Multiple Brands?

Actually, for multi-bike use, it would need to be smarter...
Auto-voltage sensing, or at least that could be done manually maybe....
auto-pinout - polarity sensing for the plug, as not all scoots are wired the same....
auto-overload protection
universal mains in with ground fault protection
Theft protection, a toy like that could be very useful

LeftieBiker
Re: Can't Someone Build a Travel Charger for Multiple Brands?

While looking (unsuccessfully) for a 100 volt DC state of charge meter, I found what appears the be the maker of the nice little charger my XM-3000 uses. It's Kelly Controllers. They make them in 110 and 220 volts (input) and a variety of outputs. So for $200 and a little plug rewiring, you can have pretty much what I was looking for in the topic title. If the ZEV proves to be a bike I want to keep, I think I'll get the 72 volt version next Spring. http://kellycontroller.com/110vac-input-charger-c-31_49.html

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage