Toyota's electric sports car, the 2000GT SEV

2 replies [Last post]
reikiman
reikiman's picture

There are some news articles going around that Toyota is planning to design/build/manufacture an electric sports car that would rival one from Tesla. I don't know about that - but they did recently build an electric sports car, and took it to the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

The car is a Toyota 2000GT SEV. The 2000GT was a 1960's era sports car made by Toyota. Some engineers from Toyota restored one, and built a fantastic electric conversion of it.

toyota_2000gt_solar_ev.jpg

It was first shown to the public, with this video along with the unveiling.

Then a couple weeks ago the 2000GT SEV went to the Goodwood Festival of Speed

RS_TOYOTA_2000_GT_001-copy.jpg

RS_TOYOTA_2000_GT_002-copy.jpg

RS_TOYOTA_2000_GT_005-copy.jpg

And this video

This page has all the info I could collect on the Toyota 2000GT SEV
http://greentransportation.info/toyota-2000gt-sev-the-electric-2000gt-crazy-project-car

This article is my writeup / analysis of the situation
http://www.torquenews.com/1075/toyota-developing-electric-sports-car-rival-tesla-roadster

- David Herron, Green Transportation Examiner, Green Transportation Info, The Long Tail Pipe, Electric Race News, davidherron.com, 7gen.com, What is Reiki
- Charger bike (rebuilt), Electrified Electra Townie, 1971 Karmann Ghia

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Re: Toyota's electric sports car, the 2000GT SEV

Awesome! Sell these for $50K a piece and I'm in... :-)

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas. No Worries." - JDH, CuMoCo || "Make Volts Not War" - anon.

MEroller
MEroller's picture
Re: Toyota's electric sports car, the 2000GT SEV

I found it interesting (and funny) to see how they retracted the pop-up headlights on high speed stretches at Goodwood and popped them up again while deccelarating towards the next turn :-) Of course they would cause considerable drag at higher speeds while extended...

My rides:
E-Sprit Fury (basis is the ZAP/Erider Thunder 5000) since May 03, 2011. Mods: Battery temp. gauge and battery heating (off the grid and off the battery), Kelly KEB72801X, reverse activated, luggage rack with topcase, HC Cycle Analyst, Emsiso BMS2405, 35mm² battery cables - repaired again :-)

QvR vR one: a Swiss package of pure understatement - innocent and to some eyes (from some angles) exceedingly ugly looks, but with raw and hardly containable electron power up to real 95 to 100km/h! And a literally rock-hard suspension due to a carrying capacity of twice it's unladen weight...

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Who Killed the Electric Car? Essential documentary explaining what happened the last time electric cars were killed
Customize This