official vx1 li range issue

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
antiscab
official vx1 li range issue

copied from Kevins blog, might be a bit more visible:

Hi my names Kevin and i have a vectrix 13 plate Lithium and im having problems with regards the quoted distance of 50 60 miles, im only getting at best 20 to 22 mlis, could any body point me in the right direction as to what i should be checking ? have I got some bad cells if so how hard is it to remove all to find the Batteries and again can you change bad ones out easilly.
thanks for any help.

antiscab
Re: official vx1 li range issue

do you have access to a usb-can cable?

if you do, this will be somewhat easier

do a full charge - then measure each cell voltage. make a list

ride until empty (or red battery light), then again measure each cell voltage. make a list

that will tell you whether the issue is with battery capacity, or battery balance

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

kevin1963

Unfortunately I don't have a USB -CAN-CABLE so is there another way to check the batteries

Kevin

antiscab

Unfortunately I don't have a USB -CAN-CABLE so is there another way to check the batteries

yep, by taking the covers off and using a multimeter

If you have to do it this way, i recommend riding until the battery is flat - check the voltages of each cell, then charge while the covers are off and check the voltages again at end of charge

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

kevin1963

Thanks for that I will try to strip as soon as possible , if I have a poorly cell what would you expect the poorly cell to read ? And then read again when charged.
Thanks kevin

Kevin

R
R's picture

could any body point me in the right direction as to what i should be checking ?

yes, my brother is in this situation, his 42Ah lithium is not working at all, he spended plenty money and plenty hours to run the vectrix with the original crap system. BMS replaced, cells replaced. plenty money lost, it is a complete nightmare. No success.
My recomendation, sell the remaining good cells and the bms boards, buy 19 leaf cells, and a good BMS like EMus. David or vectrix 3.0 can reprogram the charger to use the leaf cells, for a price.
Kocho

Thanks for that I will try to strip as soon as possible , if I have a poorly cell what would you expect the poorly cell to read ? And then read again when charged.
Thanks kevin

Any update? At full charge, all cells should be within 0.01V or so compared to each other (sorry, forgot the actual "full charge" voltage value). If some are out of range, it's either bad cells or bad BMS module for that cell. "Poor" cells will also likely read lower voltage than the average cell, when the battery as a whole is discharged immediately after riding.

To be honest, the easiest way is to get the adapter/cable/software and start from there. You will need them if you decide to upgrade/repair.

Edit: this thread mentions some voltage values in it: http://visforvoltage.org/forum/13994-searching-gp45evlf-cells

kevin1963

Thanks for everyone's suggestions in the end I have got Emmissions company coming out to up grade my charging programmes and he has checked all cell which were out of balance, he says it will take around three days to complete so hopefully my range will be restored , I will update everyone in a few days time.
Thanks

Kevin

prensel

Any updates on this matter ?

===================================
My contribution to EV in The Netherlands
- Novox C20
- Vectrix VX-1 Li+ my2009 #2791
- Vectrix VX-1 Li my2011 #3228
- CityEl Fact4 / Mini El Cabrio
- Th!nk PIV4 A266
- Th!nk City A306
- Tesla Model3 AWD

R
R's picture

To my knowledge, the BMS boards are directly attached onto the lithium cells.
The cells sometimes vent hot gas through the pressurized valve, damaging that BMS boards.
Some temperature-voltage readings become incorrect, and the cells gets incorrect charge, getting permanent damage.

Vectrixparts is selling an adapter board that allows to detach the BMS boards from the cells and protect them inside a waterproof box. I suggest you check voltage readings of each cell with a voltmeter and compare the readings with the ones displayed in the scooterdiag. If one reading is noticeably different, replace the bms board, or repair the damaged electronic components.
This system allows to use the original vectrix BMS on any battery. Unfortunately, the temp readings from the termistors is lost.

zeuz

I have a Li+, so that adapter board is of mine interest.

Please, could you provide the direct link to it ?

h0tr0d

Is this it?

http://shop.vectrixparts.com/vx1-bms-board.html

Ass: RNM
NovaEnergia

zeuz

Is this it?

http://shop.vectrixparts.com/vx1-bms-board.html

Ass: RNM
NovaEnergia

Maybe... R mentions a waterproof box, which is not visible or described in that link... but it is the BMS boards from the Li cells seen in that link!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage