Lowered Foot Pegs on VX-1 Vectrix?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kocho
Lowered Foot Pegs on VX-1 Vectrix?

Has anyone got practical ideas on how to install footpegs on the VX-1 that are lower and more under the body than the current?

I have long legs and find the seating position on the VX-1 very uncomfortable over more than a few miles, as my knees are higher than my hips. I sometimes rack-up 60+ miles a day on it and riding for long periods in discomfort is not nice.

Also my knees interfere with the handlebars. I almost fell a few times when making tight turns when my knee gets stuck under the handlebar and I can't take my foot off the footrests to put it on the ground! This is worse when in padded riding pants and shoes, which adds an inch or so to my knee height under the handlebars. I have to remember to keep my knees together when making a tight turn or they get pinned by the handlebars in a situation when it is most likely I'd need them to be free...

I have some thoughts, but not having explored aftermarket options I'd be curious to hear what you might have cooked-up for this!

Thanks!

zeuz
Re: Lowered Foot Pegs on VX-1 Vectrix?

Does your VX-1 have the optional lower seat ?

Try ridding for a few miles - when possible! - seated over the back support. It's a way to rest the knees and legs. Other way is to just stretch your legs forwards.

Kocho

Regular seat. Would have been even worse with the lower seat option. Yes, sitting on the rear hump between the seats feels great! That's what my riding position should be. But being that high-up slows down the reflexes of the bike for quick turn initiation. But I do ride like that quite a bit. Problem, of course, is that I see nothing in my rear view mirrors if I change my riding position on the fly as they are adjusted for the normal riding.

I've been thinking of raising my seat (putting a thick cushion on top), but I'd rather lower the pegs if I can figure out a way.

Yea, stretching the legs forward helps, but they have to be outside of the bike - just placing them on the front sloped foot rest position doesn't change much for me as my legs are too long overall (the knees stay pretty much where they are in my case, no matter where I place my feet in the front). The issue is not with my legs, the problem is that my back gets overloaded due to slumping seating position and I have to actively counteract that with my back muscles. It's like sitting in an uncomfortable upright chair... If my legs were lower the angle between my thighs and torso would at least be 90 degree, not less than 90 as it is now.

I think part of the problem is also that my arms are too long for the bike too - it would be nice if I could lean my body a bit forward when riding, not have it straight up. So maybe a combination of lower footpegs and more forward handlebars would be ideal for me.

Looking at the bike, it seems it might be possible to install footpegs in the center, in the area where the front foot area ends and the rear one begins. I'm worried though what would happen to my ankle/lower leg if I slide on my side in that position - there is no protection and the bike will fall on top of my lower leg... Plus, mounting there might be too low and further limit cornering lean angles, which are already too low (I've scraped on both sides on occasion).

zeuz

I believe it would be possible to do that modification... but at what cost ($$$) ? Would it be enough ?

If you are not comfortable ridding the VX-1, then look for another alternative!
Due to your physiognomy I suggest a Trail.

You may also try these:
- Brammo Empulse
- Zero DS
- Volta BCN

BLUESTREAK

HI KOCHO, go find a good looking young girl and ride back and forth in front of your house and keep blowing the horn,then when your wife see's you she will shorten those legs for you. HA AH HA.

zeuz

Ah ah ah ah!

Good point!

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

Just raise the seat, this can be done quickly and cheap.
Try that for a few weeks and if you're still not happy you can always cut some bodywork away...
Or test ride a BMW C EVOLUTION to see if it is any better!

Once you go EV, Gas is history!

Kocho

There is a web site where one can input their dimensions and the site will show how they look on various motorcycle models, including the BMW Evo. I put my numbers "riding" the BMW (since they do not have the Vectrix) and I look just as ridiculously overgrown for it like I look on the VX-1 :)

But I'll probably experiment with a temporary cushion for the seat to get started.

BLUESTREAK

HI KOCHO, I have the foot rest covering removed from my red vectrix and you can see there is a (3/4in. pipe tub bent and welded to the bottom of the bike it's alum. so someone would have to weld a bracket for a new foot peg. for those worried about welding on the frame of the vectrix it's ok because the frame is not connected to the electronics ground anywhere on the bike, all you have to do it test it by putting the hot probe on your multi-meter and poke the ground probe anywhere you want to on the bike frame and it will not register anything unless someone has grounded the frame themselfs, it was not grounded from the factory.2015-06-07 12.05.09.jpg

LCJUTILA

Moving the placement of the foot pegs and your feet way back like on a racing bike will lower your knees too. It will also take the strain off your back and make you more upright.

LCJUTILA

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage