balancing rear scooter tire

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
sgmdudley
balancing rear scooter tire

My Zapino is not ready to take outside yet so I am running it on the stand.
Tires are Kenda 3.50 X 10. On high speed mode, it starts to vibrate at higher RPMs.
I know it needs to be balanced, but with a motor in the hub, the high spot does not rotate to the bottom. Too much internal interaction with the motor parts.
Anyone have any ideas on getting the Rear Tire/Motor Hub balanced?

davew
davew's picture
Re: balancing rear scooter tire

I thought my scooter tire was out of balance for a while. The symptoms were a noticeable vibration on smooth roads. My friends convinced that out-of-balance would have to be extremely bad (way worse than they'd ever seen) to be noticeable at 30mph. The Emax uses a tire+tube combination and the front had flatted during transport. When I re-inflated the tire the valve stem wasn't properly seated and pushed the whole tire out of round. After much poking, prodding, and soul-searching, I eventually discovered this problem, fixed it, and the vibration went away.

My other thought is that a slight vibration on a test stand might not be indicative of a problem that needs fixing. The wheel can spin a lot faster without load than it can when you are driving it. I think I'd wait for a road test before taking anything apart. It's supposed to be nice this weekend so maybe you can find an ice-free road to test on. Sunset Drive looked pretty clear yesterday.

I'm not sure what balancing a wheel that has a hub motor in it would entail. It seems to me that the motor would contribute more to vibration than the mass distribution around the rim. If the motor vibrates a bit at certain speeds you could drive yourself crazy with the lead weights trying to counteract that.

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"

ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture

I know on my car, if I buy the the inexpensive brand tires, the rubber itself is usually severely flawed/unbalanced. Once I put on the higher quality tires on, balancing is a lot easier.

I'm not saying anything about the quality of your tires, but if they're original, just something to think about.

<table border="0" style="border:1px solid #999999; padding:10px;"><tr><td>
<a href="http://www.BaseStationZero.com">[img]http://visforvoltage.org/files/u419...
[size=1][color=black]www.[/color][color=#337799]BaseStationZero[/color][co

sgmdudley

Due to my budget, I can't afford to change tires tight now. Recommendations have been for Michelin or Pirelli. I agree that maybe it is simply due to being on the stand. I have 1/4 oz stick-on mag wheel weights and tried one 1/4 oz at four places around the rim and it didn't change anything. Good info from USATRACY to run it and take a bar of soap and hold just close enough so that if the tire has a high spot it will mark the tire. Then try the weight opposite. Can't take it anywhere until the new rotor arrives and I can reassembly the rear wheel. I have the wheel mounted now, but without the rotor. This way I can start conditioning the batteries. Ran it for 20 minutes yesterday.

Robert Dudley
E-Scoot Tech

PJD
PJD's picture

I came up with a technique for spin balancing hub motor scooter rear wheel a while back.

1. Put the scooter on it's center stand. Make sure the rear wheel can't contact the ground.

2. Open the throttle so the rear wheel spins - look for a badly out of round or out of true tire or rim - such a tire or wheel will vibrate even if balanced.

3. if it is out of balance, there will be a certain speed where the vibration is worst - where the RPM's are resonant with the rear springs or suspension.

4. With the wheel spinning, at the worst-vibration speed, hold a marker supported on a block of wood on the floor, so if lightly brushes and marks the inside of the rim (i.e. the part over the bead) as the wheel vibrates up and down.

5. This will mark the "light spot" of the wheel - or often, about 20 degrees counter-rotation from the light spot, due to inertia and friction in the suspension.

6. Place balance weights (1/4 oz for starters), temporarily with tape, about 20 degrees in the direction of rotation from the mark - same amount both sided of the rim. (they need to be placed where they won't fly off when re spun of course).

7. Re spin and re-check per steps 3 and 4. Add weight, remove weight and move weights around the rim circumference as needed until the wheel spins without vibration. Place weights equally on each side of the rim centerline to prevent creating a bad dynamic imbalance.

8. Take your time, It usually takes some patience.

Alias

Quote "I know on my car, if I buy the inexpensive brand tires"

I couldn't agree with you more ArcticFox (atleast when it comes to buying decent tires for your car)-----
higher quality tires do last longer and have better performance in wet and dry weather conditions,
balancing is definetly a lot easier and smoother driving :)

Mountain chen

Yes,if slight vibrates would be counteract by riders weight plus battery weight.

But http://www.kenda.com.tw is the largest tire manufacturers from Taiwan,the quality mightbe not so bad,ZAPINO don't use half prices chinese tyres.

Could Roberter send me a small video at the right angle of vibrate to mountain_chen [at] gmail.com so that I can judge the situation ?

Mountain chen

Robert,try to deflat the rear tyre first.

Then adjust the right angle and position between rim and tyre before inflat again.My engineer said that is the position problem which might cause the vibration.

jateureka2

I see this thread is about balancing the rear wheel, but this video about balancing the front wheel has some useful information also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psyw5NwsZUo

E-BIKES: [1]Ezee Sprint [2]Aprilia Enjoy Racing [3]eLation V2 e-bike kit on Trek 4100 [4]Bafang BBS01 kit on Fluid Momentum [5] FreeGo Hawk
E-SCOOTER: 2012 ZEV 7100 LR, 84V 60Ah nominal battery with 28 series GBS LFP cells
E-MOTORCYCLE: 2011 Zero S,

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage