voltas vs vectrix

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
wolf3510
wolf3510's picture
voltas vs vectrix

hey anyone seen the new voltas made in north america..
http://www.evcusa.com/

i wonder how these 2 bikes compare against each other they both look and seem pretty good, i want one just dont know which yet..

knabo
knabo's picture
Re: voltas vs vectrix

The voltas does not seem to be available yet. No mention of battery type, but I would assume lithuim.

It will be interesting to watch the company and see how they do.

Luther Burrell, Mesa, Arizona, USA
Rides: ZuumCraft from zuumcraft.com
Previous Rides: Blue Vectrix Maxi scooter

wolf3510
wolf3510's picture

yea they do mention the volta is using lithiuom batteries

reikiman
reikiman's picture

I'd been checking on the Web a few days ago for coverage of the Volta. There's very little but found several articles in 2007 saying that the Volta would become available for purchase in the 1st quarter 2008 ...

See: The Electric Vehicle Company is set to introduce the Volta GT electric scooter

However they're clearly not doing so yet as their web site still uses the word "Reserve".

It's kinda hard to compare an actual vehicle with vaporware. Soon as Volta starts selling product to the public then we can do a comparison.

chrisrick

I've just had an e-mail conversation with EVC and they have advised that there are no plans in place at the moment to export to the UK. They want to get their house in order in the US first. You can't blame them really can you? So for those of us who live in Blighty its Vectrix or gas guzzelers for the time being.

Interestingly EVC did mention "Vectrix has had its unique challenges ahead of themselves, and they are not happy at all that we are around, trust me when I tell you this", whether this was salesman speak or otherwise I'm not sure but it's got to be good for the E-bike industry (if you can call it that yet) having some serious competition. You never know Vectrix may look at keeping that price down for longer. The Voltas is going for £5k at current exchange rates.

drivin98

Autobloggreen did a post on them with links to a couple previous posts. This company makes my spidey senses tingle.
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/05/20/evc-re-launches-website-accepting-deposits-on-bikes/

At least at this point Vectrix is a known quantity.

Hermes

They're very good looking bikes. And I like the specs (if true), but I guess it'll take another 5 years before there is a real competition and choice of "worthy" electric bikes/scooters.

ZEV_Pt
ZEV_Pt's picture

From what I could gather, the Volta's are an electric modification of a chinese-made 250cc CI scooter, with little to no modification except the engine.

Probably not the fanciest or more engineered machine around - although that's not to say that they're worse or less viable than other ideas.

Starting our silent revolution...

knabo
knabo's picture

I am glad to see some competition growing. Vectrix will need to keep on their toes and stay ahead to survive. I think they have done the right thing in engineering their bike to be as modular as possible. Future upgrades and improvements should be easy for them.

GrooveConnection

Good looking, until you walk up close (which I did) - lousy paintjob in the 2 models at the AltCar expo.
I don't think I'll like these bikes at all.

TangentStar

Interesting site...

If they hold to they're specs on the site then it's fairly obvious.
However does anyone own one?
I am going to give them a call and probably cruise down there on my Vectrix and check them out if I can.
My route looks like 33.7 Miles of mostly highway like roads.
Sounds like an adventure with an 'electric lay over.'

knabo
knabo's picture

It sound like a kodak moment. Have fun on the adventure.

ZEV_Pt
ZEV_Pt's picture

Nobody owns one, I don't think they've made it past prototype yet, not even a demo bike in shows.... :(

Starting our silent revolution...

TangentStar

They do have a demo, there was a story in the local news, and one of the reporters rode it.
A link to that video can be found some where on their page, personally I think the Vectrix is way more stylish.

moccasin
moccasin's picture

I have a depostit down on a reservation for one, but knowing how long it takes a new companty to get their act together, I have also bought a Vectrix (haven't picked it up yet).

I like the taller wheels, the slightly longer wheelbase, the taller shield, and the top speed spects, and the Volta's Lithium pack, coupled with better hwy speeds just might extend my usefullness of an EBike, but unless I end up wanting a lot more out of the Vectrix, I'll likely just pass on the Volta when my number comes up.

Lithium sounds good, and packs more punch per pound, but it will take quite a bit longer to charge and I understand that they aren't as "predictable" batteries as the Vectrix paks.

I actually don't need to GO any faster on my daily commutes, but climbing one long hill on the way home in highway traffic has me a little concerned about the power/speed of the Vectrix. If it can pull that hill and not fall to crawl speed, then I'll be a happy camper.

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Please, do report, how it goes, when you get it :-)

sgmdudley

One main difference is the Volta will be available with 3 motor options, 8KW, 15KW & 21KW.
And also 3 battery options. You can configure the Volta depending on your range and speeds.
They also claim to be able to program the Volta to maximize performance according to your
driving needs. Starting price will be $8,000. The Volta was supposed to be available in
June, but it looks like 3-4 more months before it will be ready.?????

Robert Dudley
E-Scoot Tech

Morrison

I think the Voltas is a scam. These guys do not have any announced financing or serious development.

If you looks at real companies like Vectrix, Aptera, Venture Vehicles, they operate completely different from how Voltas is doing it.

So far Voltas just looks like a cheap website and a method to donate $500 to reserve their vaporware.

It is expensive to design and bring to market a new electric scooter or motorcycle. I just don't get the sense from their website (or the Word.doc press releases) that this is a real serious effort.

Just my opinion.

wolf3510
wolf3510's picture

i found this television interview and they said this bike would be available this summer, i wonder what happened
//cbs4denver.com/video/?id=41577 [at] kcnc.dayport.com&cid=143">http://cbs4denver.com/video/?id=41577 [at] kcnc.dayport.com&cid=143

Vectrix-NH

The delay may be the lithiuom batteries . they do not pass DOT safty reg . that is the hold up for anyone who wants to build more than a few bikes or cars . Tesa ev car may have got theres passed . But I would guess they did not and that is way they are only make 20 a year right now. witch still makes if a custom car not a prodution car. Must of the cost of bring a bike or car to market is getting passed goverment Regs and in the law happy US, most fail to make it . lets hope some more bike get here .

as its not anyone vs Vectrix yet. So while you wait , I will ride My Vectrix with a big smile , this thing is a blast!!

Happy riding , Herb

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

The delay may be the lithiuom batteries . they do not pass DOT safty reg .

What's your basis for that statement? Which particular type of Lithium batteries are you referring to? The Tesla uses a different type than the ones on these bikes. And the Tesla did pass it's crash testing with batteries installed.

Is there some new hang up with the batteries?

as its not anyone vs Vectrix yet. So while you wait , I will ride My Vectrix with a big smile

And I'll ride my XM-3000 or my XM-3500Li or my XM-2000 - True I have to go more slowly - but not only because of less power but all that extra cash that I saved weighs me down...

;-)

"not anyone vs. Vectrix" - yeah, right... (just friendly rivalry is all!)

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

DaveD
DaveD's picture

Tesa ev car may have got theres passed . But I would guess they did not and that is way they are only make 20 a year right now. witch still makes if a custom car not a prodution car. Must of the cost of bring a bike or car to market is getting passed goverment Regs and in the law happy US, most fail to make it .

The Tesla Roadster has fully passed FMVSS testing and all other government regulations. Whatever production delays they're having aren't due to not passing safety regulations. They spent several million dollars, and destructively tested several Roadsters in the process.

Tesla's primary reason for their delayed production is the problem they had with the transmission. The new 1.5 drivetrain is finishing testing now, and is expected to go into production next month. Even with that problem, they've delivered approx. 20 Roadsters into owners hands, and are ramping up on the production rate. Their last report was that they're up to a rate of 4 or 5 a week. All Roadsters are hand-built at the Lotus factory, except for the installation of the ESS (battery pack), motor, and transmission. If you want to call that a "custom car not a production car" that's fine. But, if so, then several production cars including Lotus' popular Elise is also a "custom" car.

Motorcycles don't have to pass any FMVSS crash testing. I don't know what DOT or other government regulations would impact the availability of electric motorcycles using lithium batteries. The XM-3500Li, with its lithium batteries is apparently being sold in the US; owners are riding them around today. As are owners of the Zero-X electric motorcycle (http://zeromotorcycles.com/).

Vectrix-NH
The delay may be the lithiuom batteries . they do not pass DOT safty reg .

What's your basis for that statement? Which particular type of Lithium batteries are you referring to? The Tesla uses a different type than the ones on these bikes. And the Tesla did pass it's crash testing with batteries installed.

Ya with the tesla every cell is in an indavidual protected sleave with it own temp sencer $50,000 of they price.

Happly riding at highway speed . Herb

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Happly riding at highway speed

Ahh, yes well you've got me there. But we'll catch up! :-)

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

Vectrix-NH

. The XM-3500Li, with its lithium batteries is apparently being sold in the US; owners are riding them around today. As are owners of the Zero-X electric motorcycle (http://zeromotorcycles.com/).[/quote]

Ya is can only go on the road in bicyle mode . it is not for the street ,they are moped / bicycles . Not for highway use.

It dose look as though they worked out the fire issue the the lithium batteries .
I hope it gets work out . it would be nice to get more miles from Ev s
As for me my Vectrix is doing just fine.

Happy Riding. Herb

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

Ya is can only go on the road in bicyle mode . it is not for the street ,they are moped / bicycles . Not for highway use.

The XM-3500Li certainly is for use on the roads, is DOT certified and has a VIN. It has a top speed of 50mph and a range of 40 miles - better than your Vectrix at that speed ;-) (but don't worry I do concede that the Vectrix is a better bike - for a higher price).

The lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries don't pose a fire risk. Certainly a lot less of a risk than riding around sitting on top of a can of gasoline.

There are other lithium chemistries that do suffer more from "thermal runaway" - including the choice Tesla made (which is why they have an extremely robust battery management system).

Vectrix-NH

Hi
Good point about gas . I agree.

as for batterys this is a Quote from chevy on the Volt

"We place a great deal of importance on comprehensive testing of lithium-ion battery cells and packs (which are new to automotive applications) over time and in varying conditions...in both labs and vehicles. So we intend to extensively test the Volt battery to ensure it meets our quality, performance and safety expectations."

This is they explanation as why they have 2010 releace date .

I hope its sooner .

I also hope Voltas gets theres going soon.

It great that you all use EV now , to many people are just Talking about it .

Happy EV riding , Herb

mrladderman
mrladderman's picture

Hi
Good point about gas . I agree.

as for batterys this is a Quote from chevy on the Volt

"We place a great deal of importance on comprehensive testing of lithium-ion battery cells and packs (which are new to automotive applications) over time and in varying conditions...in both labs and vehicles. So we intend to extensively test the Volt battery to ensure it meets our quality, performance and safety expectations."

LOL!!! chevy could care less about you or me!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbeylQN8PAc&feature=related

Vectrix-NH

Yes seen it and I agree . that was part of my point about prodution hold ups by any company

Witch bring us back to Voltas vs Vectrix

Both are 55 mph + EVs .

Voltas Not here yet .

Vectrix here for over a year ,( working out real world isuce , some thanks to Miks hard work)

My Vectrix was deliverd Oct 2 2007 . own it , ride it , love it.

I'll see you on the Highway .

Happy riding, Herb

pointman39
pointman39's picture

Rumors has it that EVC USA is introducing a new line for 2009, and it's even better than what they initially drafted for a would-be release in 2008, and instead saved the best for 2009. Why not release the best you can, and for this reason EVC delayed its release in 2008, and will announce those new changes in the next month.

Hey, the best is always worth waiting for, it seems that EVC is the clear winner!

PS: Vectrix will be introducing a Chinese made bike with the Vectrix label on it 2009, EVC makes their bikes here in the good old USA!

AndY1
AndY1's picture

1. I don't trust vaporware. You can post anything you want about your product's specs. Let them ship and sell anything and we can compare their product. Do they still use chain transmission to the rear wheel?

2. Do you have a source on that Chinese production? AFAIK, they're still producing them in Poland.

3. Why do you copy-paste the same text in multiple threads?

Pages

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage