Advanced Display for Electric Vehicles

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
jmap
jmap's picture
Advanced Display for Electric Vehicles

The experience I’ve gathered during the past year in possession of an electric vehicle (Vectrix), took me to the conclusion that the displays are too basic and do not serve us well.

Thus, after thinking a bit about this, I made a concept display (inspired on the actual Vectrix model maintaining the concentric form because our vision works faster on that format). I will explain it bellow:

Concept Display

Autonomy Estimation:
The autonomy cannot escape to the reality of the complexity that Electric Vehicles hold because in those, the small autonomy gets much more importance. Until today, there were several approaches that could be observed but in all of them there were advantages and disadvantages. The idea is to bring the positive side of them introducing the driving style. Also must be taken into account the performance of the battery.
On the far right of the display can be seen the estimation level based on the driving behavior during the last cycle of deep discharge. This estimation is important because it tells us a value very close to real autonomy based on similar style of driving and routes.
Immediately to the left of this indicator is presented an estimation based on current effort that takes into account the last kilometer.
The final weighted estimate is obtained using a complex formula that takes into account both previous estimates. This formula should take also into account the temperature of the batteries that, as we know, directly influences its performance and/health. This mathematical formula is quite complex and may be replaced by an expert system for constant learning, ie a scheme that constantly train based on readings to produce better results. Its development could use for example, the neural networks from an Artificial Intelligence approach that produces very good results in this kind of systems.

Temperature:
The knowledge of temperature is essential to the driver awareness. As we know, batteries have better performance within a certain range and outside of it, its performance can drop dramatically. In case of overheating, the "health" may even be compromised. If the temperature reported by batteries is close to the environment temperature, usually represents a sign of good ventilation and improved performance.
At the far left of the display can be verified the color temperature that represents the performance and restrictions of the used batteries. The best and safe temperatures are presented in green, their frontiers (not so good) in yellow, and harmful in red. The ambient temperature is reported next to the right and next to the highest reading temperature reported by the battery sensors.

Clock:
Besides being useful information to the rider, can also help the estimation to be more accurate because for example the night temperature during summer is (usually) best for the performance. However introducing this weight in a already complex formula could be a nightmare due to its dynamic characteristic, but through the possible approaches from Artificial Intelligence described before, that could be easily incorporated.

Technical Information:
Other information may also be desired, such as voltage and amperage snapshots. However this kind of technical information should be optional. Its place is reserved at the top of the display.

Resuming, the display described here require a lot of logic, but when operating in fully, all the necessary information to the driver concerns is provided. This is what I would like to see in my EV.

AndY1
AndY1's picture
Re: Advanced Display for Electric Vehicles

Nicely done!

jmap
jmap's picture

Thanks! :-)

Wotnopetrol

Lovely, if only they'd made it a dot matrix display and access to the software we could all design our own "skins"

I've always thought batt temp would be good as a permanent display. It's just not convenient to stop hold down the kill switch and pull the brake lever. The info is obviously there ready for collection by a suitable display.

I mean, how silly to be able to toggle through the trip display and get a duplicated odo display, even if that were to be replaced by batt temp would be something.

On the subject of unnecessary things, why oh why does that silly horn chirp before coming on full? If I use the horn, I want instant loud BEWARE!!!! to come from my bike not a second or two of "Oh excuse me, please don't step out in front of me....peep peep, don't want to scare you now" Before the full "Oi! If I hit you when you step off the kerb we will both REALLY regret it!" Is it just me? That would be a nice worthwhile reprogramming exercise.

Simon

jmap
jmap's picture

Lovely, if only they'd made it a dot matrix display and access to the software we could all design our own "skins"

LOL

I've always thought batt temp would be good as a permanent display. It's just not convenient to stop hold down the kill switch and pull the brake lever. The info is obviously there ready for collection by a suitable display.

I mean, how silly to be able to toggle through the trip display and get a duplicated odo display, even if that were to be replaced by batt temp would be something.

Exactly!

On the subject of unnecessary things, why oh why does that silly horn chirp before coming on full? If I use the horn, I want instant loud BEWARE!!!! to come from my bike not a second or two of "Oh excuse me, please don't step out in front of me....peep peep, don't want to scare you now" Before the full "Oi! If I hit you when you step off the kerb we will both REALLY regret it!" Is it just me? That would be a nice worthwhile reprogramming exercise.

I totally agree on that too. I think they do that to use the horn to beep on the forgotten "change direction lights" (I don't know how you name them).

frodus
frodus's picture

Round LCD's = expensive and very custom...

of course, you could use a small rectangular LCD and just "block" it off...

Travis Gintz
1986 Honda VFR Conversion
www.evfr.net

jmap
jmap's picture

Round LCD's = expensive and very custom...

of course, you could use a small rectangular LCD and just "block" it off...

That's not a LCD. It's similar to the existing display! Every function is static! Also the concentric form is maintained because our vision works faster on that format and we must keep the eyes on the road, right? Only the color bar is somehow different but could be done by another way.

RaDy
RaDy's picture

Nice idea! I would like to add that they should have forgotten about the speed needle and have left a digital speed reading and a power Increase bar. It would have felt more electric and less ICE.

jmap
jmap's picture

Nice idea! I would like to add that they should have forgotten about the speed needle and have left a digital speed reading and a power Increase bar. It would have felt more electric and less ICE.

Needles are an option for other kind of display, but could be nice too. This one was inspired on one at the left of the Vectrix where every mark has it's place (this means cheaper display and does not need to be an LCD).

Mik has realtime amperage readings made by him. This is an option on the top of the display that I present.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage