Charge bars malfunctioning, remaining range indicator malfunctioning, delayed charging system malfunctioning...

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Victrix
Charge bars malfunctioning, remaining range indicator malfunctioning, delayed charging system malfunctioning...

My new Vectrix is still being more of a Vex-tricks! First off, when I uncrated the bike the charge bars were 16/17. I rode the bike 5 km, parked it for a few hours, and when I turned it on to take it out again the charge bars were 1/17 and the remaining range indicator stated 12 km left. I rode it around the neighbourhood expecting it to run out of power quickly, but it lasted another 45 km, while the indicators didn't change at all. I finally got the low battery telltale to light up, rode it home, and started the October 2008 firmware upgrade delayed charging sequence. This simply didn't work. I set it up following the directions very precisely, using a 7.5 hour delay. All the bike did was to begin a standard charging sequence of three hours, then shut down. The range indicator stated that I had a range of 164 km, which is impossible. The bars were 17/17. I took the bike out that evening to a friend's place and back, a distance of 26 km. The bars stayed at 17/17 and the range indicator at 164 km the whole time. I took the bike out the following day and rode it until the low battry telltale came on, but the indicators stayed firmly locked in their initial positions. I crawled home at low speed, turned the bike off, then on again. Lo and behold, the charge bars were down to 0/17 and the range indicator was at zero. I tried the delayed charging sequence again, this time re-set to three hours. The dashboard and fans came on for about ten seconds, and then shut off. I plugged the bike in, and after four hours absolutely nothing had happened, even though the dashboard was supposed to come on every 20 minutes to self-diagnose the battery temperature. I tried again, using the right brake-actuated 30 minute delay, and what I got was a standard charging cycle start-up, which lasted about 3 1/2 hours. The bike now has 17/17 bars, but is telling me again that the remaining range is 164 km. I haven't ridden it yet to see if the charge bars go down in response to battery depletion, but I'm not counting on anything working properly.

Any thoughts?

HarryS
Re: Charge bars malfunctioning, remaining range indicator ...

the bike needs to stay plugged in. the delay start when fisrt connected to power. then leave it alone. did you ever try holiding the right handlebar when you turn it off? this should give you a 30 min delay.

Victrix

"the bike needs to stay plugged in. the delay start when fisrt connected to power. then leave it alone. did you ever try holiding the right handlebar when you turn it off? this should give you a 30 min delay."

Yup. Did all that, with decidely unsatisfactory results. I should add that the bike runs and performs flawlessly; it just is exhibiting this weird programming behaviour. I could just zero the tripmeter whenever I go riding and not go beyond 50 km before recharging, but I really would like all the features to be working on a brand new bike.

tom5007

My 5cents would be to stop using delayed charging. Keep it simple the first couple of days by just using the bike for you trips and ppligging it in when you arrived. I would think that the gauge will learn over time ms then tell you a better estimate. Once you now the basic works try to play with the options (delayed charging).
Norman

moccasin
moccasin's picture

Any thoughts?

Yep. Put a piece of black tape over that estimated range indicator. If you coasted into your driveway or down a hill to your house, it will always read too high when recharged, because it thinks you're going to coast to work as well. It's a stupid, useless guage. Learn to reset your trip meter EVERY TIME YOU CHARGE. Then learn to guage your trip meter reading with your battery bars for a better idea of how far you can go. Those battery bars WILL become very acurate after a few charge/discharge cycles.

7.5 hours delay? Why? You have a default half hour delay, and I'd recommend setting the auxilary delay at one hour, and use it on the really hot days. Other than that, you'd be better off with a timed outlet. I use a timed outlet at home. It comes on at 9 p.m. and stays on until 6 a.m. I plug the bike in when I get home (with no delay settings activated) and I unplug it in the morning and reset the trip meter.

The worse thing you can do is sit there and watch your bike charge and try to analyze it. Set it, leave it, and ride it. That's what it's made for. ;-)

Mik
Mik's picture

Any thoughts?

The worse thing you can do is sit there and watch your bike charge and try to analyze it. Set it, leave it, and ride it. That's what it's made for. ;-)

I have a different opinion. These bikes are unfortunately full of bugs and come in a variety of software configurations. Without checking that it does what it is supposed to do you'll never know what's going on and when something is wrong.

It is only a matter of time until there will be no more warranty work provided. Only by collecting data can we hope to figure out which software version is good for what scenario. And which software versions are best avoided.

There are 4 different software parts in each Vectrix:

-Charger

-Instrument Cluster

-Motor Controller

-Interface Control Module

And I think they can all be updated, and/or messed up, individually!

One day we might know which charger software needs to be used in hot climates, which MC software offers the best acceleration, which software part causes the Canbus error message, etc. etc.
But only if we look and share the information!

And besides all of this, Victrix' scooter clearly has a problem that has never been described on V before! One part of the software was probably compromised during an update, and never tested afterwards. Who knows what else it does wrong!
It seems that the range indicator with the later software version is often inaccurate initially, and then improves. But it does not stay stuck at full, or drop to almost empty and stay there for ages!

I would certainly contact the dealer and try to get some advice.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Victrix

"But it does not stay stuck at full, or drop to almost empty and stay there for ages!"

THAT is my main concern, as it is a definite software error as opposed to me being an overly fretful Vectrix owner. I had the bike out for 38 km yesterday, and the bars are still stuck at 17/17. I'll be calling my dealer today...

Elektro
Elektro's picture

just some days ago I had experience with the same delay issue. I set the delay to 4h( because the battery temp. was 36° and the enviroment temp 31°) but the automatic recharging process didn't start.

I've perfomed some test and it's seems this issue could be happen when the delay time is set more then 3 h.
My lovable Vectrix have 2 month of live and arrived with the latest SW installed.
I.ve informed the dealer in italy but it's seems this is the first time he received this complain. May be because not so many user use the delay functionality ?

jethro

ride your bike until it is very slow (battery flat) then charge fully without setting the delay, do this again and the display should reset and be more accurate.

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Is that wise if the battery temperature is still above 30'C? Especially in these hot summer conditions?

If the charging delay has to be avoided, maybe leaving a bike to rest for a few hours would be preferable?

I don't have the new software yet, but does the new software allow for the battery Voltage and temperature readout before the charging process? With a combination of events?

Victrix

Just finished speaking with my Vectrix dealer in Calgary Alberta. He had a long chat with the head tech at Vectrix (who took the call while on holidays!), who told him that the newest programming changes sometimes don't load, and instead bug up the existing programming. The tech had this happen to his own personal bike, so he recognized the probelm immediately. Vectrix is going to courier out a "VIP Kit", which is a hand-held computer and interface loaded with the new programming, which I can install myself. Once I've gone through a few charging cycles and the program has "taken" I send the unit back. This will be interesting!

HarryS

now if you could only clone that VIP kit so the Voltage community would have access to it should Vectrix go under that would be great.

RaDy
RaDy's picture

Yes, i think you shouldnt let the oportunity pass, make a copy of the VIP Kit for incase!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage